Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Transportation from Ho Chi Minh to Can Tho

Posted by LeslieJ on 7/1/2010 at 21:49

I am arriving to Ho Chi Minh after 5 pm and would like to know the best way to get directly to Can Tho - is it safe to take a taxi at night? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 18,174 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by eastwest on 24/5/2010 at 19:34

Ho Chi Minh Harbour ( Port )

Posted by albaby on 21/5/2010 at 12:12

where is HCM harbour in relation to city and how do we get there ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,428 times, with no replies.

travel via mekong delta to cambodia

Posted by netstar on 3/1/2007 at 09:27

A friend and I want to travel to cambodia via the mekong delta (starting out in Saigon). I have heard people talk about delta adventures. Do they do a 2 day trip? We have a pretty tight schedule. thanks net ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,742 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by spreekitik on 21/5/2010 at 12:04

northeast vietnam: how easy to travel in?

Posted by eversjef on 21/5/2010 at 02:55

Hello travelfishers, First of all thanks for all the valuable information this community produces. When we’re back we will certainly share any useful info, like the whole idea of swapping info. Me and my girlfriend are from western Europe and are planning a trip to South east Asia (Vietnam & Cambodja,, maybe Laos). We booked a airplane-ticket arrival: Ha Noi; departure: HCMC. We stay for 2 months (begin july till end of august). We are planning to travel low-medium budget, and are in to ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,864 times, with no replies.

Hong Kong to Hanoi by train

Posted by hfergu on 17/5/2010 at 23:08

Hello, Has anyone here done the train trip from Hong Kong to Hanoi (HK to Guangzhou, Guangshou to Nanning, Nanning to Hanoi)? If you could share your exeperiences with me that would be wonderful! If this portion of my trip occurs, I'll be getting my Chinese visa in Toronto and my Vietnamese visa in Hong Kong (since I won't be flying in an evisa won't be possible). Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 32,171 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by svendj on 20/5/2010 at 22:38

Visa application over 30 days

Posted by doolough on 18/5/2010 at 23:46

Hi, We fly into Hanoi on June 28th. We return home, to Ireland, on August 14th. We will travel south through Vietnam - maybe for 3/4 weeks, and spend the rest of the time in Cambodia and Laos and then fly back into Hanoi for a night or two before our flight home. I have looked up the Vietnam Embassy website and the FAQ section here. My understanding is that you can get a 30 day Visa and that you can extend it when you are out there. Do I just apply for the standard 30 day Visa and then get ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,770 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by doolough on 20/5/2010 at 14:07

1 Month in Vietnam

Posted by Barghy on 16/5/2010 at 08:09

I will be arriving in Vietnam around 4th June and leaving around 6th July (no plane booked yet). The plane will arrive at and leave from Ho Chi Minh City. I will be travelling with another friend and am reasonably well travelled but have never been to South-East Asia. Just looking for some advice really. The initial plan was to take in Laos and Cambodia as well although I am unsure we'd have enough time to enjoy 3 countries in a month so I think we will stick to just Vietnam. Planning to obviou ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,189 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by rawjer on 17/5/2010 at 07:37

Vietnam in 7 days. Is it possible?

Posted by farsidetravel on 5/5/2010 at 22:00

I have 7 days to see Vietnam (at least a glimpse). I plan on flying into Hanoi , go see Ha Long Bay, take the train to Hoi An, and the train or plane to Ho Chi Mien City (Saigon). I think the overnight train from Hanoi to Da Nang is ok. But not sure about Da Nang to HCMC (Saigon). Should I skip that train section and just fly? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,820 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by rawjer on 16/5/2010 at 16:40

Hotel warning in Saigon

Posted by Mwags on 3/5/2009 at 14:36

Ive been in Vietnam for about a month now and just wanted to give a heads up to people about a not very good hotel in Ho Chi Minh City. The hotel is called Xinh Hotel and its at the Pham Ngu Lao end of Mini Hotel alley. The staff are very rude and as soon as you leave you room let themselves in. We went to a restaurant next door and went back ten mins later to get something to find they had been in our room. Also we asked them to do some laundry for us, they told us we could get it back ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,207 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by Vxh on 16/5/2010 at 11:11

Malaria & anti-Malarials --> Do I really need them?

Posted by tatham on 10/5/2010 at 22:43

Hi everyone, I will be embarking on a much needed and anticipated trip of SEA (Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and N. Thailand in particular) and am gradually working through my research. I am however split between taking anti-malarials (where needed), and not doing so. I am a South African and am only too familiar with the disease as I have done quite a bit of Africa travel. The general thinking amongst my friends and family is that the medication makes you feel sooo bad that you may as well be s ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,008 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by mikethediver on 15/5/2010 at 23:43

Tropical Sails/ Emeraude prices

Posted by jmdma808 on 3/5/2010 at 17:28

Hi fellow travelfishers :) i searched quite a bit before posting this and i couldnt find my answer so i hope im not bothering anybody. im thinking about checking out ha long bay this summer in august. dont want to deal with sketchy tours so im thinking about tropical sails or emeraude. i want to do a 3 day 2 night or 4 day 3 night tour but i cant find any prices on their website. Does anybody know the approximate price for them for a tour of this length? thank you!!! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,755 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by onthewway on 15/5/2010 at 17:41

sapa and fansipan

Posted by genne on 10/5/2010 at 12:11

hi there! i'll be arriving in hanoi in a week's time and am hoping to go sapa and fansipan. i've checked out tour packages online and they are rather steep. i understand planning the trip on your own is much cheaper. am jus concerned that i might not be able to get the train tickets when i reach there. i'm arriving tuesday and hope to board the evening train from hanoi to lao cai. do their tickets sell out very fast? also will it be possible to get a guide to fansipan from sapa itsel ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,637 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by genne on 14/5/2010 at 12:36

How do I book a train from Hoi An to Dalat

Posted by Lora on 11/5/2010 at 21:03

Hi, does anyone know how I would book a train to get to Dalat from hoi Ann? Do I have to go to Nah Trang first then bus? If so, is the only way to book a train by going to Danang? I checked with a travel agent in Hoi Ann and they said they could book the train at a cost of $30, which sounds high to me. Is there a Sinh Cafe in hoi Anne? Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks kindly ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 11,744 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 14/5/2010 at 00:36

VOA VOA VOA VOA

Posted by AlexBCN on 11/5/2010 at 00:07

Hi, I am planning to fly into Hanoi from Luang Prabang in july, and I have seen that it is possible to get a Visa On Arrival (VOA) for Vietnam. I am not sure when I'll be flying into Vietnam exactly as I might buy the tickets just few days in adavance. Does anyone know how long it takes to get a VOA arranged? Has anyone anyone who can have 2 arranged for my with just a couple of days notice? Or is there any agency in Luang Prabang doing this? On the other hand, is it possible to ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,292 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Archmichael on 12/5/2010 at 10:17

Ho Chi Minh vs. Bangkok

Posted by LGR_2010 on 13/4/2010 at 14:08

I'm spending about 3 days in HCMC and about 3 in Bangkok in early Sept. Is there anything in HCMC that's not in Bangkok? never been to either and i'm starting to think the sites are similiar. Too similiar - temples, great markets, food. Hope someone can convince me! So I can also tell my travel mates (who are more looking forward to the Bangkok part the the HCMC part - it was really my idea to go to HCMC vs. going straight to Bangkok and staying there longer - esp. since the beaches are be ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 9,928 times, with 14 replies. Last reply by LGR_2010 on 12/5/2010 at 06:54

Best way to get from Hoi An to HCMC??

Posted by antoinetiux on 8/5/2010 at 12:23

I am visiting Vietnam north to south so I will be getting to Hue before heading to Hoi An. After that I would like to go to HCMC but I am not sure what is the best way to get there. Help is much appreciated. Thank you! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,678 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by KazAussie on 11/5/2010 at 15:01

Vietnam in Late October to Early Novemeber - best places?

Posted by LindaLovelace on 29/4/2010 at 12:37

Hi All, I need some help! I've been trawling through all the wonderful info on this site on Vietnam but now cannot make up my mind where to go/what to do. I will be in Vietnam from 26th Octber til the 9th November. Flying in and out of HCMC. From what I can understand this is relatively good weather for HCMC and Hanoi. I really wanted to go to Hoi An/Danang area and a beach destination like Nha Trang or even Mui Ne - but apparently this is the worst time of year weather wise?? Is it s ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,942 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by KazAussie on 11/5/2010 at 15:00

Minsk for sale in Ho Chi Minh

Posted by maxmccabe on 11/5/2010 at 13:30

Minsk for sale in saigon, great condition..just ridden down from Hanoi. Comes with maps, and a real motorbike helmet 350$ please contact me at maxmccabe@gmail.com ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,354 times, with no replies.

New book just published 'Vietnam: rising dragon'

Posted by billhayton on 8/5/2010 at 07:57

Excuse the plug but Travelfish readers headed to Vietnam might be interested in my new book about the country. It's called 'Vietnam: rising dragon' and it's the result of the year I spent reporting the country for the BBC plus a couple of years of further research. It tries to answer most of the questions I had about the country - what's driving the changes in daily life? who runs Vietnam and how? how is the environment coping with economic development etc etc. You can find it in Englis ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,389 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by HuyAnh on 8/5/2010 at 16:45

See Things Before Traveling To Vietnam

Posted by hai00 on 8/5/2010 at 11:09

Overview Climate Sourced By; Hanoi Peace Tour Vietnam is located in both a tropical and a temperate zone. It is characterized by strong monsoon influences, but has a considerable amount of sun, a high rate of rainfall, and high humidity. Regions located near the tropics and in the mountainous regions are endowed with a temperate climate. The monsoon climate also influences to the changes of the tropical humidity. In general, in Vietnam there are two seasons, the cold season occurs from ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,688 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by caseyprich on 8/5/2010 at 11:19

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page