Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Sapa to Dien Bien Phu

Posted by jasinorbit on 28/12/2009 at 13:23

Hi, We are thinking of travelling by road from Sapa to Dien Bien phu (then fly to Hanoi or continue by road depending on time). I can find lots of info on buses, and I dont know how to ride a motorbike - so what I need is more info on ravel by car. Hire a car (and a driver??) Is it worth it, what prices can we expect. Any info or opinions would be welcomed thankyou ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,286 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by jasinorbit on 30/12/2009 at 12:45

Columbus Cruises and Halong Bay

Posted by Rohan on 17/6/2009 at 18:11

I have read a lot of good things about Columbus Cruises for a Halong Bay cruise on this site. They have 3 boats. The Santa Maria is much pricier than the other 2, but the Pinta Gold is only a bit more than the Pinta Cruise. Does anyone know the difference between the Pinta Cruise and the Pinta Gold? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 10,495 times, with 35 replies. Last reply by silversnapper on 30/12/2009 at 11:09

Advices for 3 weeks intiary in Vietnam?

Posted by camerondir on 28/12/2009 at 14:17

I am currently in Hanoi to do a small study for my bachelor thesis. As part of my studies, I am going on a short field trip to Sapa , Halong, Hoa Bing , Hue, Hoi anh, Myson. The scheduling is still not in stone, but I expect to visit Sapa on the 16th of January as well as spending 3 full weeks starting on the 20th of January till the 10th of Febuary to Halong-hoabing-hue-hoianh-myson. Would like to get your suggestions on whether 3 full weeks enough for doing my small study in these loc ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,944 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by silversnapper on 30/12/2009 at 11:05

Hanoi Station -> Airport Q

Posted by smash on 30/12/2009 at 07:17

Hey all Just wondering quickly... If my guest house books me on the train that arrives in Hanoi from Lao Cai at 4:30 AM, will I have enough time to make the Jetstar 7:25 AM flight to HCMC? Otherwise next flight is 9:10 AM... Cheers, Ash ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,584 times, with no replies.

Bye Vietnam, Thanks!

Posted by silversnapper on 20/12/2009 at 17:16

We've just completed our 14-day journey of Vietnam. Writing a piece like this is the hardest part of all. I'm rushing this with with mixed emotions -- sad and happy. Sad because we're now leaving after we fell in love with almost everything we've been in Vietnam. Halong Bay, Sapa, Love market, city tour, hoan Kiem Lake, dong xuan market, Water puppet, ho chih minh mausoleum, too many to mention. It was a wonderful experience, and that's what we're happy about it. No troubles, except for the dan ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,951 times, with 18 replies. Last reply by chriswotton on 29/12/2009 at 19:31

Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) safety / pickpockets /bag snatchers

Posted by sashanyc28 on 22/12/2009 at 09:07

I will be in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon)for the first time for a few nights in eary January 2010.. Of course I have read all over the place to be careful.. Take only taxis at night, beware of pickpockets, bag snatchers on motorbikes, etc.. and Of course I will only take taxis at night, use a money belt, not carry any valuables, and try to avoid carrying a day pack or bag around the city with me.. From my travel experiences I have always found the media and most of the warnings all to b ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 13,149 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by theCATALYST on 29/12/2009 at 14:42

bus from kunming to hekou

Posted by prisonbreak on 26/12/2009 at 16:48

I went today to the bus station from where the bus to hekou is supposed to leave just to hear that it doesnt leave from there since 1 week now impossible to find out where does it leave from now!!!! if anybody knows pls tell me it s urgent thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,255 times, with no replies.

Buying merrel-like shoes in HCM city?

Posted by itchyfeet on 23/12/2009 at 14:34

We've had a little mishap with the postal service and the shoes that were to be delivered are not going to get here by our departure date. :( Anyone think that there is a chance that we could find a pair of merrels in HCM city? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,778 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by itchyfeet on 25/12/2009 at 19:37

Hue from 10a.m to 16.40pm (5 hrs). What can I do?

Posted by Shahmatt on 23/12/2009 at 15:03

I'll be exiting the train at 10a.m and getting back on at 16.48pm. I thought I might take a taxi or public transport and just look around the city. I know there isn't very much time, but what are my options for around 5hrs in Hue assuming I skip lunch? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,301 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Shahmatt on 25/12/2009 at 14:18

Best way to get from Mui Ne Beach to Hoi An

Posted by ekitch on 21/12/2009 at 23:20

I'm traveling up through Vietnam with my sister, and was wondering what the best way to get from Mui Ne beach/Phan Theit to Hoi An is? thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,759 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by rinske on 22/12/2009 at 17:32

Where I can buy the Hue sour shrimp??

Posted by bristol on 22/12/2009 at 15:16

My buddy is eager to try the Hue sour shrimp and I am now looking for a right place to buy the authentic Hue sour shrimp for her. I am leaving Hue tommorrow afternoon. If someone knows a place I can buy some jars of sour shrimp, plz plz suggest as soonest I would highly appriciated. Thanks a lot and Happy Chrismas to ALL ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,150 times, with no replies.

Advices for the trip to Nine Dragon River Delta

Posted by jsmith on 22/12/2009 at 14:42

Hi all, I am planning for the trip of travelling over Vietnam Jan 12 2010, and I am considering the two day tour to Nine Dragon River Delta first. Do you think two day tour to Can Tho is short?? Is it annoying or not if I going with a big group (may be 4) or I will have more freedom on a solo tour?? And I would like your recommendations to the budget of some services: 1) Budget quoted for taking a boat tour around Con Quy, Con Phung? How many peoples one boat can carry?? And for ho ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,374 times, with no replies.

One-cent worth opinion on Halong Bay tour

Posted by 29lovelyme on 22/12/2009 at 11:04

Hey hey hey, I’m back for the last time to give you my one-cent worth opinion. After all I owe it to travelfish for using their website to get ideas. I am too lazy to write long, so I’ll just focus on Halong Bay tour where I talked a lot in the past. I cruised with Columbus and for me it was just ok, I noticed they’re doing their best to address their issue and it’s good. But here’s the thing, I realized it’s easy to grab a tour for Halong Bay. You can even get into public boats for ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,689 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by seaweed18 on 22/12/2009 at 12:26

Central Highland dam caused flash flooding

Posted by Pablot on 22/12/2009 at 07:15

Way I heard it is this year the worse flooding and loss of life in Hoi An was due to a dam north of Hoi An being openned incorrectly and the resultant flash flood washed away part of a village! my point is very simply stay away from Central Highlands with dams during monsoon season September thru December! so as not to "damage" tourism much goes unreported! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,351 times, with no replies.

Need advise from Hanoi to Vientiane

Posted by theCATALYST on 21/12/2009 at 13:50

I need a quick advise on how to get to Vientiane from Hanoi . I'm going there Dec. 22 (tomorrow). Where in Hanoi can I board a bus or a train? How much is the fare? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,627 times, with no replies.

Exploring the Oriental Culture from Middle to North? Advisable Budget & Time?

Posted by tuktukdriver on 21/12/2009 at 11:40

We’re five, young travelers from Spain. We'd like advices of how to allocate the time and budget for our journey to explore the Oriental Culture from Middle to North Vietnam We’re thinking about staying around 2 nites in Hue on arrival (Dec.30) and intend to spend our time until (Dec.31) to celebrate New Year for 1st in Vietnam, then continuing to go Hanoi for more or less 7-8 days (Jan.2-Jan.10) to do treks in Sapa or go somewhere else ( Jan.2-Jan 6) and Halong ( Jan.7 – Jan.10) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,170 times, with no replies.

7-Days Itinerary,Which Junk & Tour Operator???

Posted by rodlove on 16/12/2009 at 16:37

Hi, my buddy and I are planning on spending a week in North Vietnam on celebrity of the Christmas and New Year Eve. We are wondering which tour company is the more realiable as for price and quality of the day tours? with professional guide …would like to spend 1D trip to visit famous spots in Hanoi, 2 D/1N in Sapa to explore the local hill peoples’life and 3D/2N in Ha Long Bay to taste a beach-life so if anyone has other suggestions that would be appreciated. I also would like to check ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,466 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 19/12/2009 at 10:44

Booking problems through bookhostels.com

Posted by jejuted on 18/12/2009 at 19:26

Recently booked a room at Yellow House for the first week in feb/10 and got an email from Yellow House a few days later saying they were closed (no mention of for how long). Hummm. Can't return the email to bookhostels.com. Anyone else had this happen?? I wo9uld like to apply my deposit to another place. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,364 times, with no replies.

Shanghai to China Beach!?

Posted by biophlame on 18/12/2009 at 00:45

Hi, I'm looking to travel to Hoi An/Da Nang in late January and seeing as there are no direct flights from Shanghai, can someone advise me on how to get there? What city should I fly into (I will be flying out of Shanghai), and from there, how do I get myself to Da Nang? Thanks! Sorry if this question has come up before, I ran a quick search w/ no luck! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,352 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 18/12/2009 at 13:33

Gold Wedding Anniversary Aboard

Posted by Simonwong65 on 14/12/2009 at 17:28

I am planning to travel 2 weeks for my golden wedding anniversary. My beloved wife is always dreaming about a trekking trip on oriental classic elegance cuirse. We are in Singapore and are expected to go during the Christmas and New Year’s holiday ( roughly 20 Dec to 26 Dec 09). Locations are in the Southeast Asian countries like Malaysia, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam. I wish this voyage will be travel golden wedding anniversary time that will be really sweet and etched in our mind. So I hope to re ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,362 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by NYTim on 17/12/2009 at 22:34

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page