Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Best current one way flight deal from London?

Posted by rokit on 13/1/2010 at 22:33

Hey guys I'm planning my trip for April time, and have a flight back from Bali in July. I need to book my flight to Vietnam for April now, and was wondering if anyone had found a good deal recently? Thanks for any help. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,334 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by rokit on 14/1/2010 at 07:50

ROUTE TO VIETNAM / CAMBODIA / LOAS / NORTH THAILAND - SOUTH

Posted by mango551 on 11/1/2010 at 04:18

Hi as a virgin backpacker I was hoping some of you more experienced travellers may be able to help. I would like to travel into North Vietnam travelling Hanoi, Hoi An, Ho Chi Minh City then onto Phu Quoc Island. From there head to Cambodia - Sihanoukville / Phnom Penh / Seam Reap / Angor Wat. From there hit Southern Laos - Si Phan Don / Vietiane / Vang Vieng / Luang Prabang. From there hit Northern Thailand Chane Mai / Bangkok / Southern Thailand. I have looked for many differ ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,859 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by mango551 on 14/1/2010 at 01:58

Vietnam June 2nd-15th

Posted by Chrisalie on 3/1/2010 at 12:38

Hello all- My girlfriend and myself will be traveling SE Asia (Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, and Thailand) for 2 months and 10 days. We are working on our Vietnam travel plans right now. We are both slower pace kind of people but still want to see a lot. We have each done our fair share of travel, but this will be something very new as it will just be the two of us. :) We would like to relax more than feel rushed this is our tentitative plans thus far. June 2nd -Land in HCMC/Saigon (flig ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,430 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 13/1/2010 at 16:27

15 days in North Vietnam...

Posted by starfish on 7/1/2010 at 03:25

Hi! My sister and I will be meeting our mum in Hanoi and will have 18 days before she has to fly home. Her return flights are from Hanoi. We were planning on spending 5 days in Hanoi, 4 on a Topas tour from Hanoi to Sapa, so 1 night sleeper there, 2 nights at the lodge and one night train home, before spending some time on Cat Ba Island for a bit of beach time. However, Im not sure if that is going to be too much time on Ca Ba and was wondering if people have any suggestions of any o ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,196 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by starfish on 13/1/2010 at 15:24

Hoi An accommodation

Posted by panther61 on 11/1/2010 at 08:32

We are a family of 4 planning on breaking our Vietnam trip with a quiet stay on the beach near Hoi An. We have been unable to book a family room (2 roooms connected) through the booking agency we have tried either do not deal with that resort or they do not recognise the room types. However we know they are available at the River Beach resort. Also the resort haas not returned my emails. Does anyone know how to get around this. Thanks for your time. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,764 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by panther61 on 13/1/2010 at 14:58

Question about flights and staying in/near Vietnam

Posted by HenriPaul on 13/1/2010 at 04:23

Hi, Myself and a friend are going to be going to Vietnam in about 6 weeks time for about a month's holiday (to start with). We are thinking that we would like to have the option to stay out there if we found a month wasn' t enough so we were wondering if it is better to get a single flight out there and book the return flight when we were ready to come home or get a return and then change the booking whilst out there? Also, we were thinking of stopping over somewhere en route such as Hong ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 849 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by violets on 13/1/2010 at 13:24

Kim Travel for a Mekong Delta tour?

Posted by Rohan on 1/8/2009 at 19:53

Has anyone had any experience using an agent called Kim Travel? I am looking at travelling from Saigon to Phnom Penh through the Mekong Delta in January. I have found a website for a tour operator called Kim Travel which I quite like the look of as much of the tour through the Delta is by boat rather than bus: http://www.kimtravel.com/English/Tourdetail.aspx?IDTOUR=TT17 However, I am also aware of the reputation enjoyed by tour operators in Vietnam in general. Has anyone tried this or ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 13,510 times, with 14 replies. Last reply by rtw2009 on 12/1/2010 at 20:42

Vietnam visa in Battambang

Posted by looman on 21/12/2009 at 19:03

I've heard you can get Vietnam visas quickly in Battambang. Can anyone tell me where to get this. Is there a consulate there? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,286 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Rlowry76 on 12/1/2010 at 18:17

Sapa Ban Ho village stay

Posted by panther61 on 11/1/2010 at 08:40

We are a family of 4 who would love to stay in the village around Sapa. We have heard of Ban Ho village and it appeals because of the hot springs and it appears that it is possible to organise it so that we reduce the length of the trek for the kids. Does anyone know if this true and how we could do it? Finally, is Ban Ho a nice place to go (keeping in mind the limitations created by the kids) Thanks everyone ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,074 times, with no replies.

Sapa tour during Tet!?

Posted by elabuque on 30/12/2009 at 16:55

Hi everyone, we will visit Vietnam in February 2010. We will arrive Hanoi on the 11th of Feb. Our first overnight stay we´ve already booked. As we heard that the Tet is around the time we want to do our tours, we started to ask ourselves if it is possible to do tours on your own or if the travel agency in Hanoi offer still their tours. Our "plan" as yet is to go to Sapa for 2 days and to Halong Bay for 2 days. So that we are back in Hanoi around the 16th of Feb. We wrote emails to d ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,814 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by elabuque on 12/1/2010 at 16:13

Hanoi Backpackers Hostel!

Posted by jclarkson on 12/1/2010 at 00:07

I typed a much longer message that didn't post but to summarize I booked my Ha Long Bay cruise through Hanoi Backpackers Hostel and was impressed with everything, boat, food, crowd etc. To put that in context I am a single 23 year old American guy with a penchant for partying. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,693 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by jclarkson on 12/1/2010 at 00:07

Hanoi / HCMC recommendations please (2 nights in each)

Posted by smash on 30/12/2009 at 04:43

Hey all Unfortunately due to a string of events, we've ended up having to really cut down our trip duration... We've got two nights in both Hanoi (arr 4pm, dep morning) and HCMC (arr 11am, dep morning). So my questions are: 1. What is the best area to stay in for each? We'll book accommodation before we go to save time/hassle 2. What are two MUST SEE sights for each that we could do in the AM and then PM on the full day we have. Thanks! Ash PS have posted something similar fo ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,069 times, with 13 replies. Last reply by theCATALYST on 11/1/2010 at 16:00

Minsk for sell in Dalat

Posted by splite on 10/1/2010 at 22:37

Hello ! To anybody looking for a minsk to buy !! I bought this Minsk in Hanoi and drove it to Dalat along the Ho Chi Minh road. I had no problem with this motorbike, work perfectly fine ! I ask 270$, I fixed some stuff on it, new front tyre, new cable for the front break, come with full face helmet and detail map of Vietnam. I can send you some pictures or we can manage an apointment to see/try the bike. Don't hesitate to ask me question. Cheers, Florian ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,299 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by splite on 11/1/2010 at 09:50

Hoi An mosquiotes and snorkeling

Posted by panther61 on 11/1/2010 at 08:33

Hello all After having malaria 3 times, we do not want the kids to get it. Does anyone know if the mosquitoes are a problem in July near the river around Hoi An? Finally, is the snorkelling near the nearby islands as good as they make out? Thanks for your time ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,114 times, with no replies.

Live in Ho Chi Minh or Phnom Penh

Posted by woundedhealer on 10/1/2010 at 16:14

I am leaning towards PP just because of the ease of getting certain medications. HCM just dose not have a good supply of much. I dont know HCM that well and feel like I should give it a chance. As in any place moving to a place where you have to make new friends is a little difficult. IF anyone knows both and has any advise I would appreciate it. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,111 times, with no replies.

Tet is coming & the ducks are getting fat!

Posted by Pablot on 9/1/2010 at 18:29

This year 2010 Tet (lunar new year) first day is 14 February. For anyone travelling the period starting at least 2 weeks before thru two weeks after Tet can be a nightmare as most travel between major cities of Hanoi & Saigon is fully booked, and prices are raised exponentially on everything! For the first few days of Tet it is almost impossible to go anywhere or do anything - including eating - as most businesses are closed. If you are travelling stay in one destination for the f ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,126 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Pablot on 9/1/2010 at 18:46

Boats from Hai phong

Posted by Viliam on 1/1/2010 at 15:50

Greetings. I bought an atlas to use for my current roadtrip thru Viet nam and found an interesting page in it. There was a map of Viet nam with all waterbound routes marked out. One especially intriguing was from Hai phong to Manila. Is there anyone who have done that trip? Flights from Hanoi are not too appealing, cost wise or destination wise so im looking at other options and boat to Manila would be perfect. Thankful for any tips and suggestions! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,070 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by Pablot on 9/1/2010 at 18:33

Is it cheaper to get a Chinese Visa in Vietnam or San Francisco?

Posted by yinxzon on 8/1/2010 at 01:34

Is it cheaper to get a Chinese Visa in Vietnam or San Francisco? I hold a US passport and I tried calling the Chinese Embassy in Vietnam, neither number works.. Does anyone know how much it would cost to get a Chinese Visa in HCMC? (It is 130 USD in San Francisco) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,698 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by yinxzon on 9/1/2010 at 11:54

How to enjoy Chau Doc

Posted by Rlowry76 on 8/1/2010 at 22:25

I will instantly tell you exactly where to go for the best tour of the area by a very friendly and kind local. I was privileged to spend soe time with him and his family and he gave me a tour of the area including Sam mountain for a few hours for less than whatsome of these tour guides ask for. Mr. Long runs the only English bookstore in Chau Doc . Walk out of the guesthouse and walk to where the central square is and on your left hand side next to the pharmacy on the corner you'll find his sh ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,937 times, with no replies.

Sapa

Posted by gracetandil on 7/1/2010 at 19:29

When I arrived in Sapa I was offered a trekking to the hill tribes. I was so excited because it was supposed to be the highlight of my trip. We started with a long walk on the paved road, and then we started walking on the rice fields, very dangerous because it was all muddy. Many people fell down and got full of mud. It was a nightmare. Finally we arrived to the tribes. There were several trucks full of tourists, not full of mud and relaxed. I don´t recommend this horrible trekking. You can ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,681 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by gracetandil on 8/1/2010 at 04:49

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page