Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Vietnam Airways Check-in times

Posted by KazAussie on 28/9/2009 at 15:40

Hi, I just booked a flight from HCM to Phu Quoc. On the confirmation it says "Please be present at the airport for check in at least 2 hours prior to your scheduled departure." However the website says 60 minutes for a domestic flight. Any ideas which I should go with? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,661 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by KazAussie on 6/11/2009 at 13:46

malaria in sapa?

Posted by flash99 on 30/7/2008 at 06:45

I just returned from the travel clinic who told me that Sapa was a malaria risk area. Can anyone confirm or give stories of the mosquitoes? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 10,843 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by erickabe on 6/11/2009 at 10:37

Lang Veigh

Posted by MADMAC on 28/10/2009 at 23:48

Has anyone here spent anytime in or around Lang Veigh? I would like to do a battlefield tour there IF I can find some locals who defended it against the NVA attack and knows the ground well. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,045 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by jclarkson on 5/11/2009 at 15:36

Lao Cai train station - a warning.

Posted by travellerwill on 3/11/2009 at 14:29

I arrived at the Lao Cai train station after taking the day train up from Hanoi which arrived about 1630 hrs. I was heading up to Sapa and there were lots of mini buses waiting and no surprise, lots of touts as well. The problems began when I tried to get on a mini bus, even the ones that were almost full. The touts started asking for ridiculous amounts of money, they started at $28 for the 40 km trip up. It soon became clear that the touts didn’t actually represent any of the mini b ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 10,412 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by DLuek on 4/11/2009 at 02:04

Youth Hostels in South Vietnam?

Posted by pdrysdale on 28/10/2009 at 16:09

There are youth/backpackers hostels in Hanoi but what about when heading South?, in particular Hoi An, Ho Chi Minh City, and Nah Trang. It seems to be just guesthouses/hostels. Making it harder for the lone traveller to meet people :-( ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,714 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by Pokol on 2/11/2009 at 18:45

14 days in December

Posted by yayorc on 23/10/2009 at 06:06

I'm finding a lot of conflicting reports, but I'm looking to go to Vietnam from November 29 to December 12, heading North to South, like: ha noi ha long bay hue hoi an nha trang ho chi minh Is this at all possible, taking a lot of night trains I guess? Will it be too rainy in the central region? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,566 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by Pokol on 2/11/2009 at 18:41

Cambodian Visa In HCMC - Visa at the border?

Posted by aarondl on 31/10/2009 at 17:57

My wife and I visited the Cambodian consulate in HCMC to try to avoid any issues at the Cambodian border. First, they close at 11:30 until 2 pm, so we were out of luck at 11:35. Anyhow when we returned, we were told that visas would cost 500,000 dong each (they don't accept USD). I told him I was positive that it was only $20, or 360,000 dong; he replied that it would a rush, since it was after noon and so would cost 100,000 dong more. Obviously the extra 140,000 dong each were destined for his ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,871 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by sayadian on 1/11/2009 at 03:27

Hanoi, Hue, Hoi An, HCMC - Help!

Posted by lacuachero on 30/10/2009 at 16:12

My bags are packed, and I'm ready to take on Vietnam. The first half of our trip is pretty set - it's the second half I'm concerned about. Here's the part of the trip I'd like to hear your thoughts on: November 7 - will take the train down from Hanoi to Hue . Will book a soft sleeper berth. Once in Hue on November 8, will stay for only one night before taking the bus to Hoi An . - Considering I only have one full day, should I take Sinh Tourist's package tour, or should I try expl ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,684 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by DLuek on 31/10/2009 at 13:41

nha trang market?

Posted by mojopac on 31/10/2009 at 04:27

Hi, I'll be in Nha Trang for a week from the 2nd Nov. Is it possible to buy shirts (polo's or similar) anywhere in Nha Trang. I don't want to take a lot with me if I can buy shirts at a reasonable price. Thanks for any advice. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,732 times, with no replies.

Hanoi to Japan (via China?)

Posted by gusthegiant on 30/10/2009 at 23:40

Is the only way to get from Hanoi to Japan with out flying to travel thro China and get the boat from Shanghai? I’m just concerned about the Chinese visa situation; I have herd lots of roomers about how hard it is to get a visa especially if your travailing by train and don’t have a pre booked onward ticket. Also the china leg of my trip is towards the end (about 2 months in) will this affect visa application? I would also like to stop in Guilin on the way to Shanghai, I am guessing t ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,470 times, with no replies.

Boat from Chau Doc or Siem Reap

Posted by cuffedbloke on 30/10/2009 at 10:02

Hi Anyone, On my Vietnam-Cambodia-Thailand 9 day trip I definitely want to do a Mekong boat ride. Could anyone recommend which one offers more experiences? Chau Doc - Phnom Penh? Or Siem Reap to Bangkok (ok, it's not all the way but to Poipet I gather). Thanks a bunch! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,005 times, with no replies.

Overnight bus departing HCMC/Chau Doc/PP/SR

Posted by cuffedbloke on 30/10/2009 at 01:32

Hi Anyone, I'm on a very tight 9 day trip through HCMC-Chau Doc-Phnom Penh-Siem Reap-Bangkok. Need to know if anyone knows of buses or perhaps even a private taxi service which operates through the night (wanna save more time to sightsee rather than traveling in the day). Thanks a bunch. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,426 times, with no replies.

Columbus Adventure

Posted by nikhyat on 27/10/2009 at 17:47

Anyone ever tried using their services? This is the website I am looking into www.columbusadventures.com ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,290 times, with no replies.

Help with Vietnam intineray for 6 days

Posted by frreddie on 23/10/2009 at 09:39

We are 3 people traveling to Vietnam from monday the 7th of december and will stay until saturday. At first i was thinking going to Hanoi with a a trip to Halong Bay. Now iam not sure anymore since i heard the weather can be cold during that time. I started looking into other places in Vietnam. Where would you go if you had 6 days to spend in vietnam in december? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,493 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by frreddie on 29/10/2009 at 16:37

Phu Quoc or Shinoukville?

Posted by candyman on 20/10/2009 at 01:00

I'm looking at going to Phu Quoc island for a couple of days on a quick trip thru Vietnam and Cambodia--is it worth it or should I go to Shinoukville instead? How do the beaches compare? I've spent a couple days in Shinoukville before so I know what it's like. I'm mainly interested in relaxing, swimming, going scuba diving (nothing fancy, maybe one or two dives), and maybe some hiking. Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,242 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by RayIV on 29/10/2009 at 15:42

Chau Doc - Can Tho - HCMC

Posted by linjingyi on 28/10/2009 at 22:58

Hi, I am planning to take the above stated route but it seems less conventional as compared to HCMC- Can Tho -Chau Doc-PP route.. I was wondering if anyone can kindly advise me if you think this route is feasible? Also, do you know how can I get from Can Tho to HCMC in the shortest time? Many thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,093 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 29/10/2009 at 07:37

Lak lake experience/tour

Posted by hevva on 27/10/2009 at 21:19

We leave for vietnam in less than 2 weeks and were trying to book a tour from da lat to nha trang via lak lake with sinh cafe. we've not had a response from them yet, not sure if it's safe to book it on arrival (we're quite tight for time) or whether anyone knows of another reputable operator doing a similar thing? Heard about Easy Riders but think i'm too scared to go on the back of a bike! Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,050 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by justwondering on 29/10/2009 at 06:04

Ho Chi Minh City to South of Thailand - Possible to go direct

Posted by pdrysdale on 28/10/2009 at 16:04

Hi, I am just wondering if this is possible or does one have to go between Bangkok? Air Asia are pretty cheap to go to Bangkok first but do any airlines fly direct? Many Thanks Paddy. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,123 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 28/10/2009 at 18:35

Buying rail tickets in Hue

Posted by travellerwill on 28/10/2009 at 08:57

Hue is full of ‘travel agents’ wanting to sell you bus and train tickets. I wanted to go to Hanoi on the day train so asked around for prices, and got replies ranging from 500,000 Dong to 620,000 Dong from Sinh Cafe. This seemed rather steep for one soft seat air con. So I cycled over to the train station where they have boards giving all the information you need including the prices and I queued only a few minutes to buy a ticket. The cost - only 280,000 Dong, almost half the price quoted ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,020 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 28/10/2009 at 09:59

What clothes to pack - formal clothing necessary?

Posted by c1ee on 26/10/2009 at 06:29

Hi all, I'm going on a trip to Vietnam in two weeks time. In my trip I plan on doing a lot of riding around on a motorbike, and also partying. I will be in Saigon, and will be riding all the way up to Hanoi. I'm now trying to decide what clothes to pack. Should I bother taking my jeans? I would like to experience the night life, but does that mean I need to bring collar shirts, leather shoes, and maybe a jacket too? I'm going to be carrying a 65litre backpack, btw. This is my first time ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,649 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by violets on 28/10/2009 at 07:28

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page