Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Phu Quoc budget accom

Posted by betska on 6/10/2009 at 06:16

Planning to arrive in Phu Quoc on 3rd December. Beach Club is booked out. Does anyone have any suggestions for budget accomodation on Long Beach? Tropicana seems to have more negatives than positives! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,512 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 21/10/2009 at 08:50

Ha Tien-PhuQuoc fast boat - does it exist?

Posted by KateRus on 20/10/2009 at 20:49

Hi All, I read in Lonely Planet that there is a fast boat service from Ha Tien to Phu Quoc Island. Does it really exist? All internet resourses advice to go from Rach Gia, no mentions of Ha Tien... Thank you very much in advance, for any help ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,866 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 21/10/2009 at 08:35

Dak Lak Tourist doesn't deliver

Posted by justwondering on 20/10/2009 at 10:25

After an unanticipated change of plans, we found ourselves flying in to Buon Ma Thout and in need of some guide assistance to go trekking. The only company we could find open was Dak Lak Tourist. It became evident very quickly they couldnt' provide us with the two day homestay trekking experience we were after but the guide, Tuan, promised us a 2 day trip using local transport to Dray Sur, Dray Nap and Gia Long Falls, plenty of walkign along the way and then walkign teh following day to villag ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,110 times, with no replies.

Bac Ha Accommodation

Posted by Puggles on 15/10/2009 at 09:53

Does anyone have any recommendations or advice for accommodation in Bac Ha? We are looking at low to mid range. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,695 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by Puggles on 19/10/2009 at 11:18

Luggage Storage at Hanoi Railway Station

Posted by tron0801 on 4/4/2009 at 21:33

Is there luggage storage services at Hanoi Railway Station??!! As I will arrive Hanoi in early morning and plan to take the evening train to SAPA so would like to keep the baggages for some hours there and go for sightseeing in the city. Thanks in advance. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 9,517 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by violets on 19/10/2009 at 10:39

HCMC late night dining

Posted by apertyx on 16/9/2009 at 11:35

Good Day, I'll be arriving around midnight from San Francisco. Figure I'll get to the hotel around 2:00 am and will be a little jagged. Any place in district 1 open late/24 hrs where I can unwind with table service, not bad food and drinks? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,638 times, with 17 replies. Last reply by Caripito on 18/10/2009 at 22:48

Quickest cheapest way from Hanoi to Manila..?

Posted by trenchzip on 17/10/2009 at 21:45

Hello. I'm planning on being in Hanoi for Christmas and the New Year, but then want to spend the rest of January in the Philippines. Can anyone suggest the cheapest/easiest way to get from Hanoi to Manila? Flights seem to be quite expensive. Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,276 times, with no replies.

Any long-term storage available in HCMC?

Posted by gumby on 17/10/2009 at 14:33

I'm living in VN for 3 years, though travelling often. Does anyone know of a place where I can store stuff I don't want to take with me on my travels? I know I can ask my hotel to keep stuff for me but this option no longer works for me as the hotel I used for a long time raised their prices so much they priced me out. I would love to find a small storage locker that I could rent on a monthly or annual basis. Anyone know of any? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,611 times, with no replies.

Cat Ba accomodation

Posted by Remedy on 13/10/2009 at 18:00

Hi, I've been reading up on the accomodation page on Cat Ba, but I'm hard pressed to find any listing with a recent update. Most places seems to have been last visited in 2006. Does anyone have any idea whether the listings are still valid? I'm looking at the backpacker/flashpacker range. Thanks, ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,129 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by beekalove on 17/10/2009 at 13:16

Sapa vs Dalat

Posted by Rohan on 16/10/2009 at 17:47

I will be headed to Vietnam in January, and at this stage I am looking at a couple of days in Sapa and a couple of days in Dalat (among other things). I have read some good things about the Easy Rider tours out of Dalat and am thinking about taking one from Dalat to Saigon. However, this will mean I need to find an extra couple of days in my itinerary, and the most logical thing time-wise seems to be to cut Sapa. Is there much of a difference between Sapa and Dalat? Both are in the highl ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,200 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by dan567 on 17/10/2009 at 12:55

Border

Posted by clbe on 15/10/2009 at 13:15

Hi I want to travel from Hanoi to Southern Laos. Has anyone done this and which border crossing did you use. Is it better to do the travelling in Vietnam rather than Laos crossing somewhere further South like Bo Y? Has anyone done the trip from Hanoi to Vientiane? Which would you suggest is the better oute to take? Any suggestions would be great! Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,008 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by clbe on 17/10/2009 at 11:54

Sapa and trekking gear

Posted by Pokol on 16/10/2009 at 01:05

Hi, Stupid question but important since it is a lot of extra weight in my backpack. I've been told for Sapa at this time of the year it is good to bring with you trekking shoes because of the rain. Does anybody think something like this is too much? http://www.rubberimpex.com/images/Partners/TrekkingShoes/SportsShoesHikingShoesTrekkingShoesDT.JPG Or should it be fine with sport shoes like this? http://www.rubberimpex.com/images/Partners/TrekkingShoes/SportsShoesHikingShoesTrekking ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,534 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by Pokol on 16/10/2009 at 15:56

nearest railway station to Vinh Moc tunnels

Posted by roynolan on 15/10/2009 at 02:09

does anyone know what is the nearest railway station to the Vinh Moc tunnels, and can you take a motorbike on the train? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,271 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 15/10/2009 at 07:09

Danang to Hoi An

Posted by justwondering on 9/9/2009 at 07:18

Hi, sorry, hopefully my last inane question... I'm keen to get the train from Hue to Danang as i gather it's a lovely trip, but how much of a palaver is it hooking up with a mini bus or taxi or whatever from Danang train station to Hoi An? I guess the key question is how much should we be expecting to pay for the trip to Hoi An? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 9,014 times, with 11 replies. Last reply by Digs on 14/10/2009 at 22:07

Flooding in Hoi An

Posted by somtam2000 on 1/10/2009 at 20:50

Thanks to pablot for the link to these excellent photos of the flooding in Hoi An -- if you are elsewhere in Vietnam, we'd strongly suggest a bit of itinerary replanning... Photos, comparing Hoi An to Venice, are here: http://vietnamnet.vn/xahoi/2009/10/871361/ ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,119 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by Digs on 14/10/2009 at 21:59

Hanoi tailors

Posted by NYTim on 11/10/2009 at 04:22

I plan to buy some hand made clothing for my wife. Does anyone know of a reliable tailor and a place to buy silk cotton and rayon? Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,094 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by barrydullaghan on 14/10/2009 at 21:02

Americans in Vietnam

Posted by grndhouse on 10/10/2009 at 13:26

Been in Thailand for a month now and love it. Plan on being in Vietnam in a few weeks after Laos. But have talked to multiple backpackers & thais who both say the country is beautiful just not near as friendly...more especially if from the US. So, How are the Vietnamese / American relations? With all right to hate Americans, wondering where things honestly stand near 40 years later. thanks for any/all words. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,649 times, with 13 replies. Last reply by violets on 14/10/2009 at 08:53

Mai Chau to Sapa

Posted by Pokol on 13/10/2009 at 20:44

Hi, i'm thinking of going to Mai Chau and I'd like to go to Sapa as well. Does anybody know if there's any easy way to connect these two locations? I don't mind going back to HAnoi but I think that would be time consuming! Thank you! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,449 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by violets on 14/10/2009 at 08:37

Gasoline / Mileage

Posted by cdnexplorer on 8/10/2009 at 12:21

Myself and a friend are hopefully travelling from HCMC to Hanoi via motorbike, but just wanted to gauge the cost of the trip. How much is gasoline in Vietnam compared to Canada/US? How far can we get on a tank of gas with a minsk? Lastly has anyone done this trip, and if so how much did it cost you and how long did it take??? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,334 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 13/10/2009 at 23:22

Public health in Central Vietnam after typhoon

Posted by Pablot on 9/10/2009 at 06:57

Take a look at this article on public health problems in Central Vietnam after last typhoon: http://vietnamnews.vnagency.com.vn/showarticle.php?num=03SOC081009 Public health is the real issue with flooding; it is not just water going up and down! it is the contamination from trash, sewage, etc. getting into drinking water of wells, etc. Not ever tourist has built up immunity or has strong immune system. Local residents in these areas are used to these conditions and may be able to cop ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,626 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by dan567 on 13/10/2009 at 22:17

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page