Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Visiting SaPa

Posted by BruceMoon on 27/8/2009 at 12:29

This 'post' seeks to orient the prospective traveller to aspects of the SaPa experience. Why, because the traveller experience of SaPa has changed immensely over the past few years. For some intending to visit, a tour is the way to go. For others self travel always makes the journey. May I offer some insights that helps you understand some of the 'details', so that you can better enjoy your experience. If so, read on (and do look at the links I mention). First I will focus on S ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,762 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by yushu on 6/9/2009 at 21:48

Can Ho Chi Minh City to Hanoi be done in 12 days?

Posted by fwen on 5/9/2009 at 20:48

Hi, I am traveling to Vietnam in December.. I am looking for tips of what to cram in whilst I am there. Can it be done in 12 days? Any information on routes etc that anyone has travelled would be great. Thanks Emma-Jane x ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,168 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 6/9/2009 at 19:48

How would you improve tourism in Vietnam?

Posted by somtam2000 on 10/8/2009 at 10:40

When Vietnam News recently asked readers to contribute their thoughts on how Vietnam's tourism could be improved, one of the people behind Saigon-based tour agency, Come & Go Vietnam, penned his thoughts. Find below the full letter below reprinted with the kind permission of Come & Go Vietnam. Vietnam's tourism problems are internal, not external. Foreign tourists are aware of Vietnam and its attractions, but more needs to be done domestically to make it easier for tourists to visit Vietna ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 15,917 times, with 35 replies. Last reply by Pablot on 5/9/2009 at 09:13

hai van pass by motorbike

Posted by roynolan on 1/9/2009 at 04:42

hi all I want to go from Danang to Hue over the Hai Van Pass by mototbike. How easy is it to rent a bike for about 4 days from Danang, how long will the trip take, what size bike do you reccomend, weather in February and any other advice you have for me would be appreciated ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,737 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by roynolan on 5/9/2009 at 05:09

Hoi An and surrounds

Posted by KazAussie on 12/8/2009 at 15:03

Hi all, we will have about a week in Hoi An in late December. The weather that time of year can be very variable as I understand it. Anyone have any experience in "must see" or "must experience", either that can be done as a day trip or overnighter from Hoi Ann? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,022 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by hansyen on 4/9/2009 at 18:44

Being fed Fido: Eating dog in Vietnam

Posted by somtam2000 on 3/9/2009 at 08:59

Have just added a new story to the site talking about the experience of eating dog in Vietnam. You can read the full story here: Eating dog in Vietnam Have you eaten dog and if so, let us know what you thought -- either here or over on the comments section at the end of the story. Bon appetit! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,001 times, with 19 replies. Last reply by roynolan on 4/9/2009 at 13:10

Halong - What Type of Cruise

Posted by ecurry33 on 3/9/2009 at 20:46

Hi all, After reading many good things about Columbus Cruises, Red Dragon and several others, I am still confused. I am particularly keen on finding a boat with a cabin to hold 3 people, one that does not anchor next to all the other boats, has kayaking and night fishing, and numerous, sumptuous servings of fresh seafood. Here is a listing of cruises by category that I found at cruisehalong.com - can anyone help me figure out what the general diffeernces are in the differnet cruise cateogrie ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,825 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by roynolan on 4/9/2009 at 13:02

Mobiles and telephones

Posted by Puggles on 4/9/2009 at 09:40

Hi, I have an older style mobile that I will be taking with me on my trip that has an appropriate plug. A friend suggested I should buy a pre-paid phone card for the phone when I land in Hanoi and then use this to keep in contact with family in Australia. I have a few queries on this and my apologies if they are a little simple but this is all new to me. When I purchase the card, do I need to give the telephone number and country code to my family in Aus? I assume I would use co ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,279 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Puggles on 4/9/2009 at 10:07

Cat Ba to Halong Bay and Halong City

Posted by Pokol on 28/8/2009 at 20:37

Hi, I've got a flight booked to HAiphong. From there I'd like to go to Cat Ba and Halong Bay. I was thinking of going to Halong City from there instead of Haiphong and head to HAnoi from there? Does this make any sense? I can't seem to find any kind of cheap accomodation fromm Haiphong or any tour starting from there...Any suggestions??? Thanks a million!!! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,378 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by Pokol on 3/9/2009 at 18:19

How to Have a Life in Vietnam? American, 28 yrs old, wants to know!

Posted by semisage on 1/9/2009 at 06:05

I want to go back to Vietnam. Back in 2006, during my first and only trip, I got to spend only 30 days. Just this short time was long enough to fall in love with your country. That is to say, my experiences were great although there's a lot more to discover. That's what I'm looking at now... how to go back, what to do for work (I love teaching), and wondering if it's possible to be lucky enough to meet that "special someone" (soulmate). It's every desire rolled into one. I'm engulfed with pla ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,460 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by Pablot on 3/9/2009 at 07:29

3 DAYS IN HANOI

Posted by kekropasgr on 2/9/2009 at 15:10

hi, at the end of sep. i will have only 3 ,hole days in hanoi. i am thinking of spending the first in hanoi with hanoikids, and 2 days in holong BAY (2 days tour with columbus travel). opinions and sugestions please ! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,211 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by BruceMoon on 2/9/2009 at 17:17

Learn the language on line

Posted by KazAussie on 22/8/2009 at 16:16

Hi I wonder if anyone can recommend a good (preferably free) online resource for learning Vietnamese. I have googled for this and there are heaps of sites out there, just wondering if anyone has any recommendations. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,678 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by KazAussie on 2/9/2009 at 15:17

Night travel....buses/trains..

Posted by Greggor58 on 5/8/2009 at 07:47

Hi everybody...Ive just worked out an itinerary for January and February travel throughout Vietnam... Im hoping that someone here can point me in the direction of a bus company or service..by traveling at night Ill gain an extra ten days or so give or take...to add to my usable time there...Is it possible or common to travel by bus or train at night..? Any help is appreciated!Thanks.. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,488 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 2/9/2009 at 12:00

Sapa questions

Posted by drudogg on 10/7/2009 at 11:29

Hi all, I have a few questions about Sapa: 1) Is there a particular day of the week that the markets occur? I can fly into Hanoi on either Saturday (Aug. 22) or Sunday (Aug. 23). Also, what time should my flight arrive at Hanoi in order for me to catch the overnight trains to Sapa? If I arrive at 3 or 4pm, is that too late to buy a ticket and catch the overnight train to Sapa? 2) When trekking in Sapa, can I leave my larger backpack at a hotel and carry just a daypack for the tre ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,981 times, with 30 replies. Last reply by smash on 2/9/2009 at 00:45

Boat from HCMC to Can Tho

Posted by apertyx on 24/7/2009 at 20:24

Good Day, I've seen some references to a public boat running from HCMC to Can Tho, but haven't been able to nail it down. Does one exist? If so, has anyone an experience to share. Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,076 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 2/9/2009 at 00:01

HCMC Airport Taxi's Nightmare part 2

Posted by travworld on 12/7/2009 at 20:49

So you just got done flying for some 25 hours , and have gathered your luggafe , going thru last security , you see 5 money exchange booths each one giving a different rate, all the money is the same take the higher rate. Now if you go outside there is allot of taxi's . So which one to take , well Malinh and Vinasun are the most respected , and most are in a Uniform with a tie . if none are available you could take the 8.00 usd , a 1 price option at the Budget Rent a Car counter, you pay them th ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,328 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 30/8/2009 at 08:15

Postal service in Vietnam

Posted by Remedy on 16/8/2009 at 01:30

Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the postal service in Vietnam. I'm planning on shipping some items back to Europe when I get to Hoi An, but I'm a bit unsure whether the service is reliable or not. Also, does anyone know what would be the expected delivery time ? Cheers, ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,638 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by nworbd on 29/8/2009 at 17:26

Ninh Binh to Huong Son (Purfume Pagoda) Possible?

Posted by angfonz on 28/8/2009 at 23:18

Well, I'm in Ninh Binh at the moment and it seems we have an extra day somehow before our flight out of Hanoi . We would like to hit the Perfume Pagoda without having to backtrack all the way to Hanoi - which is about 4 hours of extra bus riding. The dude at our hotel in NB says that he can hire us a private car to take us this way, but it would cost 50 dollars - which is sort of outrageous considering the bus prices. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Elliott ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,060 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 29/8/2009 at 07:43

Ninh Binh questions!

Posted by yan on 27/8/2009 at 12:02

Greetings forum folks! I am headed to Ninh Binh at the end of September and will stay there for 4 days. The following places, I'd like to visit but am not quite sure how. 1. Cuc Phuong National Park: I'd like to spend a night in a stilt house in the park. If I were to hire a guide from Ninh Binh, will this, and transport to/from the park be arranged by the guide? How much will all this cost? (Including a side trip to Van Long nature reserve or Kenh Ga Floating Village on the way back?) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,205 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by BruceMoon on 27/8/2009 at 13:02

Starting a Mekong Delta Tour from Rach Gia

Posted by alexandra13 on 20/8/2009 at 00:23

Hello again, We have more or less figured out our route from HCMC to Siem Reap over 15 days thanks to help from this forum. But, a few questions remain...! After HCMC we are flying to Phu Quoc, and then we want to go from Rach Gia to Chau Doc to take the boat up to Phnom Penh. We'd like to spend a few days in the Mekong Delta but I am wondering if anyone can recommend a route (or tour, as long as it is small) that would take us from Rach Gia to Chau Doc while looping around and seei ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,260 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 27/8/2009 at 07:01

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page