Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Cat Ba + Ha Long Minus the Tour Boat

Posted by kpop on 17/6/2009 at 23:03

Hello! Okay, I know there is a lot of info on the site in regards to this topic, but I haven't found answers to these specific questions. I appologize in advance if this has already been asked. Travelling in a group of 2, we're looking to spend about 7 days at Cat Ba Island. We want to bypass the Ha Long tours all together by taking the ferry to/from Hai Phong. I have read the Travelfish stories, which recommend bargaining your way onto a tour boat to get from Ha Long City to Cat Ba, t ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,728 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by amazon_blonde on 13/7/2009 at 06:40

180 day visa multiple entry

Posted by bradmcfc81 on 7/7/2009 at 22:56

Im off to vietnam for a month at the end of september,then on to Cambodia to do a TEFL course.I was going to get a 6 month visa ,so that i could re-enter vietnam at some point after ive finished the course in cambodia (the course is 5 weeks) .However,ive been in touch with Trailfinders Visa department,who have advised me not to try and get a 6 month visa ,as the embassy will ask for all sorts of documents and it could take a long time to sort out,if at all.he suggested either the 1 month/3 month ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,017 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by violets on 9/7/2009 at 11:12

Buon Ma Tout to Dalat

Posted by huxley21 on 29/6/2009 at 23:51

We are going to be staying in Buon Ma Tout for prob two nights as coming down from Kon Tum and and want to 1) hire a motobike and ride upo to Yok Don for elephants and ban don 2) either hire a motobike or get a private tour to dray sap falls and onto lak lake. any words of wisdom on these or tips would be appreciated! ALSO... whether it would be possible to be driven on from lak lake either by tour guide (or someone there) to Dalat to save having to go back to buon ma tout and if so ho ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,801 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by violets on 6/7/2009 at 11:23

Indochina Sails vs. Handspan

Posted by travelingchinese on 4/7/2009 at 03:20

Has anyone had any experience with Indochina Sails for a two day, one night Halong Bay tour? Is the tour operator Handspan an operator for Indochina sails (the junks have the same names and look similar in the photos)? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,548 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by BruceMoon on 5/7/2009 at 06:29

Arranging a cruise from Halong City?

Posted by TomSawyer on 1/7/2009 at 18:48

I plan to head to Halong City from Nanning China by bus, in just under 2 weeks. I arrive early afternoon can I arrange a cruise once I get there (for that day) or should I pre-arrange something first? I'm Australian, want something OK, sort of middle of the range not too fancy but not feral either, can anyone suggest anything and what prices to expect for a 2-3 night cruise? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,151 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by TomSawyer on 2/7/2009 at 17:36

critique my 3 week itinerary please

Posted by smash on 21/6/2009 at 12:15

hi all in the early planning stages of a trip around SE Asia. pretty restricted time wise so just working out the details now to fit in. first part of itinerary (nth) is quite hectic... day 1 - fly into Hanoi from Hong Kong day 2 - hanoi day 3 - overnight train to sapa day 4 - sapa day 5 - overnight train to hanoi day 6 - straight out to an overnight halong bay tour day 7 - hanoi day 8 - hue day 9 - hue day 10 - hue day 11 - hoi an day 12 - hoi an day 13 - hoi an day 14 - nh ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,291 times, with 14 replies. Last reply by smash on 2/7/2009 at 15:41

HCMC to Phnom Penn via Can Tho & Pho Quoc

Posted by KatieI on 2/7/2009 at 05:09

Hello .. My boyfriend and I are arriving in HCMC around 22nd October. We plan on staying in the city for 3/4 nights and then would like to travel to Can Tho, Pho Quoc then onto Phnom Penn. All pre-arranged tours look fairly pricey when comparing to DIY. Also after reading many of the forums there seem to be loads of 'fake' tour operators. Can anyone suggest either a reputable operator or if DIY is the way to go? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,231 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 2/7/2009 at 10:29

One Way Ticket from korea to ho chi minh city can do i need visa for 15 day stay only?

Posted by PaKaLoloz on 19/6/2009 at 12:24

i have a friend from korea shes coming to Ho Chi Minh City and i was wondering if one way ticket can she get into vietnam because shes only staying for 14 days and koreans can come to vietnam without visas for 15 days with no visas Please help ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,736 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 30/6/2009 at 15:36

Mai Chau, Halong Bay or Sapa?

Posted by mhlow on 28/6/2009 at 18:53

Hey. My girlfriend and i are going to spend 6 nights in Hanoi. We've narrowed it down to doing 2 out of the 3 places above. Any suggestions?? Also, has anyone had any experience with Trekkingtravel tour agency for tours to Halong Bay? Heard it isn't too bad. It seems Columbus tours is pretty good but just a bit to expensive for us. Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,174 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 29/6/2009 at 12:25

Muong Lay - Lai Chau, which is which now?

Posted by anhluc on 27/6/2009 at 01:45

I'm still a bit confused an I know somebody has the answer. Is the old Lai Chau which is closer to Sa Pa on the map, now or is it going to be Muong Lay ? Or, is Muong Lay which is closer to Dien Bien on the map, now or is it going to be Lai Chau. I guess the easier question is which one is going to be under water soon and is the sight of the hydro electric plant and dam? Just a stretch here, but does anyone know the travel time between Dien Bien to Muong Lay, Muong Lay to Lai Chau, an ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,570 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 27/6/2009 at 08:06

ho chi minh, da lat, nah trang

Posted by eml924 on 22/6/2009 at 18:18

Im thinking of hiring a scooter and riding from ho chi minh to nah trang for a couple of days via da lat and then head back. Has anyone done this? or know if its possible? or would it be easier for me to just get a bus or train or fly. was thinking the bike would be more fun and the best way to take in the sights. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,305 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 27/6/2009 at 08:04

boat journey from hoi an to hue

Posted by EdSue on 12/6/2009 at 21:49

we are 2 oldies looking to see if you can get from HoiAn to Hue by boat. Anyone done or tried to? if so time and costs please.We will be there in March 2010 ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,678 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Pablot on 25/6/2009 at 21:07

Trains Hue-Hanoi sold out in august? Please help

Posted by muggel on 20/6/2009 at 20:36

In a german Vietnam forum, somebody told, that there are now "free" tickets for august, only tickets from travel-agencys. We need a nighttrain Hue -Hanoi for a fixed date end of august. Is it a risk, to try buying this at the Hue station 2 days in advance? Who knows a good travelagency with resonable prices in Hue (delivering the ticket to our hotel) Please advise me something, I worry about this, muggel ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,229 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by muggel on 24/6/2009 at 04:11

Cat Tien National Park

Posted by satori_kicks on 12/6/2009 at 17:39

Hello again, When in Vietnam (in September), me and a mate are hoping to visit Cat Tien National Park. We'll be traveling from Da Lat . Wondering if being part of a tour (e.g. meeting one from Ho Chi Minh at the park) or just doing our thing is the best idea. So, a few questions, 1) When travelling from Da Lat to the national park, can you get dropped of somewhere accessible quite easily? 2) What is accomodation like there? 3) Can you get involved in those night wildlife tours indepe ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,777 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by satori_kicks on 23/6/2009 at 14:53

Can you sleep at HCMC Airport?

Posted by fcottle on 23/6/2009 at 02:09

Our flight arrives in at 2.10 am and I don't like my chances of finding at hotel that will pick us up at that time (anyone know of one that will?). Is there anywhere in HCMC aiport where you can sleep (without security coming along and telling you to shove off)? Thanks. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,906 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by BruceMoon on 23/6/2009 at 13:52

Anyone been to Phu Quok?

Posted by Moochela on 23/6/2009 at 01:55

Is it nice? Worth visiting? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,303 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by krisim on 23/6/2009 at 02:05

have we been scammed

Posted by uktravelman on 11/6/2009 at 22:44

we got internal flights from hanoi to da nang in oct for $75 from these guys ( http://www.tnktravelvietnam.com ; http://www.tnktravel.com.vn ) and just seen on a post its $23 they asked for credit card numbers and we had to fill in 3 forms and seemed a lot of hassle ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,757 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by KPTham1 on 23/6/2009 at 00:22

First timer, advice much appreciated!

Posted by paulchangman on 17/6/2009 at 10:38

Hi everyone, My girlfriend and I have about 2 weeks to travel, and would like to see Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. I know there's not enough time to see all 3 places and we want to make the best use of our time. Due to time constraints, we have to arrive on July 12th and leave on the 25th. Here are a few questions we have: 1. We're aware that July is the monsoon season in that area, but we've also heard that while it rains everyday, the rain is usually bracketed by periods of sunshine an ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,100 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by lexkssnbrg on 22/6/2009 at 17:23

So much to do in so little time! Help please!

Posted by fcottle on 21/6/2009 at 01:04

Hi there, Firstly, I need some advice. My boyfriend and I are arriving into Saigon (by air) at 2am from China. I'm not sure whether I should book a place first online, which I know I will pay more for. I don't mind paying a few dollars more if it means I have a bed to go to once I arrive. However, I've read in numerous places that taxi drivers are inclined to tell you various things about the hostel/hotel you've booked to attempt to take you somewhere with commission. Basically, does anyone k ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,362 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by Manticore on 22/6/2009 at 15:56

Thoughts on my Vietnam itinerary

Posted by Rohan on 16/6/2009 at 10:38

I will be traveling to Vietnam with a side trip to Cambodia to see Angkor Wat in late December/January. This will be my first trip to South East Asia. I am interested in the cultural and historical side of the countries rather than lounging around on beaches and partying. I also have a strong interest in trying the regional cuisine, and am looking at getting some clothes tailored in Hoi An. I am thinking of the following itinerary: 27/12 - Arrive Saigon 28/12 - Saigon, O/N train to H ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,271 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by ngg18 on 22/6/2009 at 14:33

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page