Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Hoi An in Oct/Nov

Posted by EmjayReet on 15/7/2009 at 16:44

We are planning on spending 3-4 days in Hoi An end of Oct/start of Nov but am a little worried about the weather ... All the sites say it often floods and has typhoons around that time of the year.. Without asking anyone to predict the weather through a crystal ball, does anyone have experience at this time of the year in Vietnam... would we be better skipping it and going elsewhere..?? Many thanks Reet xx ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,092 times, with 16 replies. Last reply by dezztroyer on 17/8/2009 at 21:11

Motorbiking south to north

Posted by lodge on 26/2/2009 at 19:52

Me and my friends are buying motorbikes in Saigon and spending three and a half weeks journeying through Vietnam to Hanoi and then into Laos. Anyone got any general advice about which places are best to stop off at, or where is nice to drive through? Also if anyone has done a similar trip to this, shared experience would be most welcome. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,083 times, with 11 replies. Last reply by dezztroyer on 17/8/2009 at 21:01

first time -northeast vietnam in November

Posted by sdl68 on 31/7/2009 at 01:26

Hi Im so glad Ive stumbled upon this site. I'm a Canadian and will be traveling to Vietnam and other SE Asian countries for 5 weeks in November. I will be traveling solo with an emphasis on photography and plan to spend 10-14 days in Vietnam. My interests will be both city and street life as well as landscapes and agricultural rural life. Aside from iconic places such as Halong Bay im intrigued about NE vietnam with some of the tiered agriculture. Unfortunately it seems that at th ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,826 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by fivesilver on 17/8/2009 at 14:26

easyriding in a car

Posted by justwondering on 13/8/2009 at 10:11

I haven't been able to find the answer to this question elsewhere in teh forum, apologies if I've just missed it. I had my heart set on doing the easyrider thing from Hoi An to Dalat over 5 or 6 days. Unfortunately the b*ggers at my travel insurance company won't cover me without a motorcycle licence, even if I'm only a passenger. Suffice to say i don't have a licence. I haven't really been able to find any information about hiring a car and driver/guide to do the same trip. There will ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 995 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 17/8/2009 at 14:18

preferrable mode of transport from Hanoi to Hue

Posted by buecax on 13/8/2009 at 05:22

hi all, what would you recommend as the "best" way to travel from hanoi to hue? are sleeper trains more comfortable than sleeper buses? i´ve also read that in lao sleeper buses you have to share your "bed" with a stranger if you are travelling alone... is this true for vietnam sleeper buses and trains as well? or would you recommend to take a normal bus during the day to enjoy the scenery instead? many thanks in advance! axel ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 9,661 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by violets on 17/8/2009 at 09:20

OVERNIGHT BOAT

Posted by frozengurlz on 17/8/2009 at 03:08

thanks for all the tips on your adventures(good&bad)overnighting..who to stay clear of, what to do/not do. We are going in Feb from the N to the S and don't really have muh time...so this really helps. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,367 times, with no replies.

travel from Phnom Penh Cambodia to HCMC Vietnam

Posted by nzchanty on 25/6/2007 at 17:32

Can anyone tell me what options there are to travel from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh City? Do you know of reputable companies that either go overland or by boat? Also, is it easy to get a Vietnamese visa in Cambodia? Thanks for answering!!! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,239 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by lynsands on 16/8/2009 at 18:44

Beaches in November

Posted by mscmark on 12/8/2009 at 17:23

Hi all, My girfriend and I are planning to visit Vietnam this November and expect the beaches will be the highlight of our trip. However, we're wondering if that's the best time for the sea in Vietnam or it'll be too cold to swim and kayak? Many thanks in advance. Mark ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,595 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by KazAussie on 14/8/2009 at 14:23

Visa Extension Issue

Posted by csw on 13/8/2009 at 21:59

Help! We got our vietnam visa in phnom penh and for various reasons only got a 15 day category D visa. We tried to get an extension in hoi an but they said it can only be done in hanoi. Now we are in Hanoi and are being quoted $65 and have been told that it will take 5 days. Our visa runs out on saturday 15th, the travel agent assures us that as long as we have applied for an extension we are entitled to stay whilst it is processed despite this meaning that we have over-run our initia ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,979 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by anhluc on 14/8/2009 at 04:56

No renter for (motor)bikes in My Tho, Vinh Long, Can Tho?

Posted by jensmichael on 12/8/2009 at 22:59

Desperately I'searching for recommanded addresses of renters for bikes, mopeds, motor bikes in the Mekong Delta. No references found in guidbooks, actual Lonely Planet & in the web.... Is the Mekong Delta bike-free??? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,407 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by jensmichael on 13/8/2009 at 15:24

Sapa Life Travel website?

Posted by justwondering on 12/8/2009 at 12:10

Hi, I've stumbled across a few recommendations for Sapa Life Travel on the web, including on this site, but their website seems to be down. Can anyone confirm they are still operating? Perhaps its just a technical glitch. I was hoping to check out their trekking options in the Ban Ho area. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,350 times, with no replies.

Bus schedule

Posted by jiggs on 10/8/2009 at 11:31

Day 1 - Ha Long Day 2 - Hue Day 3 and 4- Hoi an Day 5 - Dalat Day 6 - HCMC do you have any bus schedules for (esp night time) for this route? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,832 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by jiggs on 10/8/2009 at 13:42

Flower festival Da Lat

Posted by KazAussie on 8/8/2009 at 15:56

Has anybody experienced the flower festival in Da Lat. Is it worth re-jigging the itinerary in order to see it. This link http://english.vovnews.vn/Home/Da-Lat-Flower-Festival-to-mark-Thang-LongHanois-1000th-anniversary/20097/106207.vov means it will be on while we are in Vietnam. It will mean altering our plans, and paying out some extra dollars, so just after your opinions. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,561 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 9/8/2009 at 07:01

Jungle Beach or Wildbeach?

Posted by jemcandance on 8/8/2009 at 09:19

Hello, My partner and I are heading from Ho Chi Minh to Nha Trang in mid November. She has never travelled before and is anxious about safety issues. I was reading about Jungle Beach and think it looks fantastic but i was wondering how safe it is and where do you keep your valuables? we would like to stay at Jungle Beach but are also considering WildBeach resort. which one would you suggest? thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,727 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by jemcandance on 8/8/2009 at 21:35

A "spare week" in HCMC

Posted by TonyandNi on 3/8/2009 at 05:55

We're doing a cycling tour from Bangkok to HCMC in September (including Siem Reap), and another one from HCMC to Hanoi (including Halong Bay and an extension to SaPa (not by bike!)) in October. We have a "spare week" in HCMC from 26th September to 4th October and are trying to decide what to do with it. Ideas so far include a SinhCafe tour of the Mekong Delta and Phu Quoc, or possibly a few days in Hoi An. We're early retired but young and fit - I wish! - and not on too tight a budget ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,359 times, with 12 replies. Last reply by tingers on 8/8/2009 at 11:13

New Years in central Vietnam

Posted by Rohan on 7/8/2009 at 09:14

I will be in Vietnam for NYE this year (Western NYE not Tet). I have read some posts about NYE in Saigon, but I am likely to be in central Vietnam as the full moon festival in Hoi An is on 29 December and I would like to see it. Does anyone know if anything happens in that region for NYE? I expect Hoi An and Hue are the most likely candidates given the number of western tourists who pass through. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,449 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by tingers on 7/8/2009 at 15:02

buses to Chau Doc from CanTho and Vinh Long

Posted by joeandnicky on 7/8/2009 at 11:55

Hi, Can anyone tell me if I can get a direct bus from either Cantho or Vinh Long to Chau Doc and how long it would take? I don't want to have to go back to HCMC unless absolutely necessary. thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,481 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by krisim on 7/8/2009 at 14:25

Salsa in Saigon and Hanoi

Posted by MADMAC on 20/7/2009 at 02:14

On the off chance that any of you dance, FYI there is a budding salsa scene in both Hanoi and Saigon. See below: http://www.salsaigon.com/ http://www.salsapower.com/cities/vietnam_hanoi.htm ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,855 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 3/8/2009 at 11:47

Cha Ca La Vong (Grilled fish) / Hanoi food & Cuisine

Posted by Travelindochine on 14/7/2008 at 13:54

“Cha ca” is a favourite dish of Hanoian. Located in Cha Ca street, Cha ca La Vong (”cha ca” means grilled fish) is the famous restaurant to many Hanoian as well as visitors from all over the world. The food is supposed to have been created by the Doan family. According to Mrs. Ngo Thi Tinh (a descendant of the 4th generation of the family), the family started the business of selling “cha ca” to earn money to support the family members and to have a meeting place for the Vietnamese ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,161 times, with 12 replies. Last reply by tingers on 3/8/2009 at 09:20

Flights out of Vietnam. How to find best prices?

Posted by mattflemming on 2/8/2009 at 12:27

Hey, just wondering what's the best way to get a good deal on flights out of Vietnam? Planning on going on to South Korea and then to Canada. Are travel agents the way to go? Or should I stick with Expedia and sites like that? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,709 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by damiancd on 2/8/2009 at 17:49

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page