Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Booking of Halong Bay Tours

Posted by limdq on 26/5/2009 at 14:26

Hi guys!! I have read posts on which tour operators to get and such, but i was wondering the time at which the tour operators close. I am arriving in Hanoi @ 2035hrs. By the time i get to the city it would be around 2200 hrs. Would it still be possible to get a 2D/1N tour of Halong Bay booked for the following morning? (I know I'm a bit hopeful here.) I don't want to book online as the rates are really really ridiculous. Alternatively, i was thinking of travelling to Halong Cit ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,247 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by stirr on 1/6/2009 at 18:00

3 / 4 week itinerary?

Posted by albrown1 on 31/5/2009 at 15:09

Hi everyone, I am currently living/working in Abu Dhabi, UAE and am looking to escape Ramadan (late August to mid-sept) and book a few weeks off work...3 weeks is a given, but I am pushing for 4. Originally I was looking to head to Vietnam and travel the length of the country from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh. However, I want to pack in as much as possible and am considering Laos, Cambodia and Thailand too.... I appreciate I won't have much time to catch my breath, but I am not too fussed ab ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,717 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Archmichael on 1/6/2009 at 11:27

Domestic flights and booking

Posted by Thinwhiteduke on 28/5/2009 at 00:31

hi everyone, my girlfriend and me will be travelling in vietnam throughout october. to spare some time, we are thinking about taking some flights in between, e.g. hanoi-danang, danang-hcmc and the like. is it recommended to book those in advance or will we be able to book them one or two days before the flight in vietnam, which we would prefer? and how are the rates in the latter case (just an estimate...) and where would i book the flights? as for the booking; does anyone have experiences wi ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,237 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by manooe on 29/5/2009 at 10:27

Phu Quoc in July

Posted by misterwoods on 26/5/2009 at 17:41

Can anyone throw some info my way on this island... Thinking of making a trip there while in Saigon / Mekong Delta. What is the best way to get there - boat from Ha Tien / Rach Gia? Fly from Saigon / Rach Gia?? What is the weather like at the start of July? Can you recommend a nice beach & accomodation? Budget approx 20 dollars for a double room... ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,677 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by brucemoon on 27/5/2009 at 09:34

Vietnam Airlnes - A Joke

Posted by allatsea3 on 4/5/2009 at 14:01

Inflexible inconsiderate dont dare try and change flights .tried to change flight from Mekong Delta at Can Tho office told them i couldnt pick up ticket until next day . arrived at main office in Saigon to be told ticket cancelled as not picked up 4 hours before flight so got 75% refund and booked with Jetstar much better service . a good reason why only 3% of visitors return apart from price gouging tourists and generally unfriendly people. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,187 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by waterbeo on 22/5/2009 at 21:38

Northwest Vietnam - Not organized tour

Posted by MisterV on 22/5/2009 at 04:20

Hi all, I'm planning to travel in this region with my friend. Would like to hear from you is it dangerous/hard to get around and not recomended OR the opposite.. My plan is to use the public bus from Hanoi to Mai Chau then Son la - DBP - Lai Chau - Sapa. Is it possible to find local guides/agencies in these locations? (except sapa - its full of those) Should I consider taking an organized tour in hanoi? I really want to save money but on the other hand dont want to find myself in frus ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,231 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by brucemoon on 22/5/2009 at 06:48

ATM worries, UK cards with solo and visa logos

Posted by laallee on 17/5/2009 at 03:52

Hi, we are trying to travel just using our debit cards and emergency cash. We have a real fear of our cards not working at the machines, if this happens can you withdraw cash at a bank counter. We will inform our banks of our travel plans but having so much relying on technology is a concern. thanks. laallee ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,621 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by brucemoon on 19/5/2009 at 06:13

Vietnam Departure Card

Posted by TheGoose on 15/5/2009 at 17:09

Hi, I can't remember being given a departure card to keep when I entered Vietnam (I came overland from Kep to Ha Tien) though even if I was handed one, I've lost it. I'm just wondering if this is going to cause any problems when I fly from Hanoi to Laos? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,804 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by anhluc on 18/5/2009 at 12:45

Hanoi accommodation

Posted by Evahu_210 on 9/5/2009 at 21:38

Hi, all! I’ll be alone traveling around Vietnam in late May for 10days, I have the following questions: 1. I’ll arrive in Hanoi airport at 10:00pm and wonder if there is still any airport shuttle bus to go into downtown of Hanoi (the Ho Hoan Kiem area)? Sine it would be pretty late when arriving there, is easy to find guesthouse then? (I don’t wanna book the accommodation in advance via internet) Any recommendation? 2. From where to exchange for VND for a higher rate? Airport, Ban ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,601 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by anhluc on 18/5/2009 at 12:19

Short notice booking of internal flights and hotels

Posted by laallee on 16/5/2009 at 18:07

hi, we are going to vnn in july, we do not want to be stuck with a fixed plan so we would prefer to book flights and hotels at a maximum 48 hrs notice. is this workable? thanks, lee. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,543 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by anhluc on 18/5/2009 at 11:54

Best beaches in Vietnam>???

Posted by autourdumonde3232 on 2/4/2009 at 04:07

Hi All! Any input on the best beaches in Vietnam?? General post that could be helpful to all though for the record I will be in the South around July/August.. I will have my snorkel set with me! but it's not a must to use it:)! I understand that Phou Quoc is basically a wash then.. Nha Trang seems a bit too developed for to be a truly clean and clear beach though there must be some great ones close by Anyway, hope this post helps people as well as myself, so open discussion! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 14,847 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by Archmichael on 17/5/2009 at 10:14

Hoi An, Hue and Nhatrang

Posted by eban on 25/4/2009 at 17:29

We will be visiting these areas in July and are spending two nights in each place. Hue we are staying at the Orchard Hotel, Hoi An ; Indochine Hotel and Nhatrang the LightHotel. Are these Hotels Ok? What would you recommend we see in these towns? We are also travelling from Hue to Hoi An by car. Where can we stop en-route for a swim and sightseeing? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,575 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Pablot on 16/5/2009 at 21:37

Hoi An for New Year?

Posted by chrispyrolls on 5/5/2009 at 02:40

Now the last time I was in Hoi An was November, and it was wet... very wet! So is it any drier around New Year? Beach umbrella.. or just umbrella? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,345 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by Pablot on 16/5/2009 at 21:21

thieving in Can Tho, Veitman

Posted by danielespethmann on 15/5/2009 at 11:20

Hello, Just a quick note that we witness a small gang of 5 children (around 12 to 15 years) set up a snatch and run of a woman's cell phone last night on the walk way in front of the market. 4 of the children placed themselves a few meters after the where the woman was sitting so that they could block her when she got up to run after the kid who snatched her phone! We found this thieving scene rather incongruous with the setting. Hang on to your cameras! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,302 times, with no replies.

2 months in Vietnam

Posted by chrispyrolls on 23/4/2009 at 15:31

If you had 2 months to explore, where would you head to? After Hanoi , I was thinking of heading inland from Hoi An to Kon Tum, Pleiku down to Dalat. Then hitting the coast at Nha Trang... or maybe staying inland ... before heading to HCMC, Mekong, Phu Quoc. Also Sapa / North of Hanoi is an option (as well as the above), but it will be Dec time... and am concerned it will be too cold! ... any help greatly appreciated. Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,909 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by travworld on 13/5/2009 at 06:26

Thang Long Hotel HCMC

Posted by travworld on 13/5/2009 at 06:16

Anyone stayed at this property lately it looks to be near the river and not to far from Sofitel. I know they do not have a pool but also can you spend the day at the bigger hotels and use the spa for a fee. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,465 times, with no replies.

Nha Trang, Mui Ne, Dalat

Posted by Evahu_210 on 12/5/2009 at 12:24

Hi,all! Since my schedule in Vietnam is pretty tight, between Nah Trang and Mui Ne, I have to choose one to stay, which is better? It's widely recommended that Dalat is a place cannot miss, your opinion? Thanks for your input! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,975 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by brucemoon on 12/5/2009 at 14:07

Open bus from Hanoi to Cambodia

Posted by lexkssnbrg on 7/5/2009 at 11:51

Hi, Are there any open buses that depart to Cambodia from Vietnam in late afternoon? Where can I get the tickets? Thanks. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,224 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by lexkssnbrg on 11/5/2009 at 13:46

Long Hai, Loc An and Ho Coc beaches - anybody been?

Posted by smartlyndy on 7/5/2009 at 12:13

We (2 adults and our 12 year old) are going to Vietnam in July. We've been before and loved Mui Ne but did not love Nha Trang. Would like to check out one of the beaches beyond Vung Tau but cant find much info about them. Any advice would be appreciated. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,644 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by brucemoon on 10/5/2009 at 06:58

Swine Flu

Posted by Adrienne07 on 28/4/2009 at 09:21

I will be traveling to Vietnam next week. Wondering if there are any restrictions in view of the spread of swine flu? Any precautions that the government/local legistration had carried out? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,946 times, with 16 replies. Last reply by smartlyndy on 8/5/2009 at 14:15

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page