Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Mekong delta photo gallery

Posted by kerouac2 on 20/4/2009 at 18:58

I have a few photo galleries from one of my trips to the Mekong delta. You can see the first of them here: http://tinyurl.com/d5aaxn (The others are scattered on the same site with more to come.) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,659 times, with no replies.

Halong Tours

Posted by Will_N_Mich on 7/1/2009 at 05:02

Hi, We're off to Vietnam for a couple of weeks in February and would really like to go on a Junk tour of Halong bay for one night. Can anyone recommend a particular tour- between $100 and $250 per person? Cheers. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,322 times, with 16 replies. Last reply by heritagesvn on 20/4/2009 at 17:17

Hue HoiAn MySon & DaNang in 6 days Realistic?

Posted by larryp643 on 29/3/2009 at 22:06

Flying to Hue Apr 26 for 3 days, then want to take bus to Hoi An late afternoon or early evening Apr 28th and stay in Hoi An for two days with one day side trip to My Son. Then take bus to Da Nang evening of Apr 30. Stay in Da Nang overnight and see the Museum of Cham Sculpture morning of May 1st. Then fly to HCMC (already have res)afternoon of May 1st. Is this realistic and possible especially with regard to the bus trips? Also is May 1st a problem be/c of the holiday? Thanks for any info ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,938 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 20/4/2009 at 08:39

vietnam and cambodia in less than 3 weeks

Posted by dhm1987 on 16/4/2009 at 18:21

Hi i'm going on my first overseas trip to vietnam at the end of the year and want to know if it's realistic/possible to travel from hanoi to saigon in 17 days and still fit in a few days in cambodia? thanks in advance ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,881 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 17/4/2009 at 07:36

Vietnam Christmas/New Year

Posted by construedo on 14/4/2009 at 06:35

Our family (two adults and two children, 11 and 15 years) will visit Vietnam for two weeks during Christmas/New Year. We are planing to split the visit to two places and ned some advise from other Vietnam traveller. We prefer beautiful beaches before a wild nigtlife. Places we have in our minds are; Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Doc Let and Hoi An. How is the weather in this places in dec/jan? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,501 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 14/4/2009 at 13:01

Change Vietnam Visa A Day Early

Posted by dmandel on 13/4/2009 at 20:20

Hi, Has anyone ever tried to enter Vietnam a day earlier than the Visa? I am currently in Luang Prabang and want to try to go to Hanoi a day earlier than originally planned. Will they make me get a new Visa or is there a way to just move it forward a day? I am a U.S. citizen. Thank you. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,407 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by dmandel on 14/4/2009 at 11:29

Ha Long Bay Independent

Posted by Asheai on 7/4/2009 at 14:50

So I have gone through a bunch of old threads but I am still not 100% sure about how to do this. From Hanoi, you can catch a bus to Ha Long City where it is possible to catch a ferry to Cat Ba Island? Is this actually a ferry or is it a 'daytrip' on an organized tour boat? From Cat Ba Island, is it possible to find Kayak tours that last overnight? Just kayaking, I mean, around the islands? How much should I expect this to cost, if it indeed exists? Thank you! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,304 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by DLuek on 13/4/2009 at 10:29

Unique boat/jungle experience in South central Vietnam

Posted by henski on 12/4/2009 at 22:06

Hi All, Travelling to Vietnam & Cambodia for 4 weeks in May. Initially planning to not travel further north than Hoi ann. Rough outline is HCMC, Chu cui tunnels, easy rider tour of central highlands (Dalat to Quy Nhon to Mui ne possibly), then entering Cambodia via the far south coast at HA Tien. Does anyone recommend any really unique, off the beaten track experiences in the above area? I really want to put myself out on a limb Have always been fascinated by the movie Apocalypse Now ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,792 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 13/4/2009 at 10:20

NHA TRANG - TAKE CARE

Posted by gozub on 12/4/2009 at 19:43

I was in a bicycle, my backpack in the basket in front of the bike. When I was riding, two guys in a motorbike passed next to me and they took my backpack. I followed them.... but I didn't have a a chance with a bike.. too fast. I lost important things. Of course now I think ... "I'm so stupid, how can I bring my backpack in the basket of the bike"... But I didn't expect something like that. Nobody told me. Of course I'm in a terrible mood now.. like a nightmare. I'm not enjoying the ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,155 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 13/4/2009 at 10:09

Travel Nha Trang to Hoi An

Posted by sabresail on 6/4/2009 at 19:12

We are open to suggestions as to the best way to travel North from Nha Trang to Hoi An. At almost 600 kms it has to take a long time so guess either express bus or train are the only options. What is your experience/preference? How long in the bus or how long in the train for thetrip? Any comment on bus comfort or discomfort and if you can avoid the on bus karioke. We are mature age. Your comments and help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks. Sabresail. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,913 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by ChrZap1703 on 10/4/2009 at 15:09

Chau Doc to Phu Quoc

Posted by TheGoose on 8/4/2009 at 17:02

Hi, I'll be coming from Cambodia and crossing into Vietnam at the Chau Doc crossing in a couple of weeks. How easy is it to move onto Phu Quoc? Any tour operators in Shianoukville offer packages? Thanks in advance! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,993 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 9/4/2009 at 10:45

Vietnam to Islands in South Thailand?

Posted by emcdowell on 6/4/2009 at 07:36

Hi, Travelling to South Vietnam in June and was wondering if there is a boat direct to the Islands (KoPanang etc)in Thailand. If possible i dont want to have to go via Bangkok as i would be backtracking! Any advice would be much appreciated! cheers. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,260 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 7/4/2009 at 16:24

Vietnam and Cambodia??

Posted by piglet44 on 7/4/2009 at 02:00

Trying to plan a trip to Vietnam,and can't decide whether to include Cambodia. We have to decide if we should fly directly to either Hanoi or HCMC and then spend 3 weeks travelling and then on to Siem Reap (and then we would have to backtrack to our departure point for return flight) or to fly into Bangkok ,and then go first to Cambodia and on to Vietnam,and then again we have to return to BKK to fly home. It seems too complicated. Is it too rushed to do this in one trip?Is it practical to ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,485 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by piglet44 on 7/4/2009 at 12:58

Long term stay

Posted by jarb on 31/3/2009 at 19:33

Hi All, Im looking at living in vietnam for the second half of this year while i study. Im a keen kitesurfer and so need to be next to a decent beach. I was wondering where the best spot would be where i could find a cheap beach bungalow/shack, good nightlife and of course a good beach. Also im looking at living on roughly $20/day, everything included, and wondering if this is practicle. Any info/advice is appreciated. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,395 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by daawgon on 7/4/2009 at 11:38

Leaving Baggage in HCMC airport

Posted by keatherley on 5/4/2009 at 13:39

Hello Everyone, Okay so I currently living in Vietnam (DaNang) and have been for 7 months. My boyfriend and I are traveling to Thailand before going home to Canada in September. We don't want to bring the years worth of luggage we have accumulated and want to know if we can store it at the airport in Saigon. If so, how much does it cost? Is it safe? If not, any suggestions? I really want to book my flight back to Canada, but I need to figure this out first! Thanks so much, Karen ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,182 times, with no replies.

Buses to Laos

Posted by lodge on 16/3/2009 at 17:09

Does anyone know the best way to get straight to Luang Prabang from Hanoi? I've been looking around at buses and I've heard stories of buses starting at Hanoi, and instead of just going straight across, they go all the way down to Vinh, then going to Vientiene then go up to Luang Prabang. This seems like a ridiculous detour. Anyone know of any direct routes other than flying there? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 10,283 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by lodge on 2/4/2009 at 17:37

Mekong Delta and Cambodia

Posted by Stigron on 16/3/2009 at 16:24

We are travelling in 3 weeks to Saigon then on to Ankor Wat. My agent in HaNoi has told me ....""Mekong : you will need a guide tour anyway cause you cant organise the boat trip..etc yourselves. And in Siemreap: you still have to hire a guide and car to visit temples. "" I would prefer to do this independantly as the cost and "dumb tourist" values are quite high. We're experienced with Sth east Asia and I'd love some tips about getting from siagon - can tho-chau doc. I believ its a g ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,973 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 2/4/2009 at 08:07

Phu Quoc

Posted by Glhaskell on 1/4/2009 at 07:16

I am traveling to Phu Quoc in April after traveling through southern Vietnam, what is an amazing place to stay. Pool? Private? Beach access? Good people, Good food? I have been looking, but i trust your advise more. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,263 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Glhaskell on 1/4/2009 at 22:43

April climate in Sapa

Posted by dmandel on 28/3/2009 at 23:42

Hi, We will be spending April in northern Vietnam and Laos. In particular, we are hoping to spend a few days trekking in Sapa and also northern Laos. How cold is it likely to get at night in the Sapa area in April? We are trying to decide if we need to bring warm clothing. Thank you. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,633 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by dmandel on 30/3/2009 at 22:59

Hotel deposit, especially for a long(er)-term stay?

Posted by mschloe on 25/3/2009 at 01:05

What's a standard hotel deposit, particularly for for a longish stay? I'm trying to book a room for the month of April and another room for just one week that month (at the same hotel). Because I'm being asked to send the money via PayPal to what appears to be a personal account (ie., not specifically for the hotel), I want to make sure the transaction and my reservation are legitimate. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,154 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by Alanpham on 30/3/2009 at 22:41

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page