Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

feedback on Trip Itinerary please

Posted by piglet44 on 13/2/2009 at 16:25

going to Vietnam/Cambodia for three weeks in July.want to fly into Hanoi from BKK and back from Cambia to BKK . thinking about this Hanoi 2 days Sapa 4 days train to Hue/Hoi an 3 days train to HNha Trang 3 days Saigon 2 days Mekong Delta trip 2 days trip to Cambodia Phnom Penh 2 days Ankor wat 2 days transfer to BKK airport I know I have skipped Halong bay (not so keen on sleeping on boats) any comments welcome. Is it possible to fit Laos in here anywh ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,563 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by Joffa on 18/3/2009 at 17:27

9 Days in Vietnam

Posted by kaelp on 18/2/2009 at 16:09

Hey! I'm going backpacking in Vietnam in April though I only have 9 days of free time. I saw this itinereary from a tour website Day 1: Arrival Day 2 Ha Noi Day 3: Ha Noi- Ha Long Day 4: Ha Long -Ha Noi Day 5: Ha Noi - Hue Day 6: Hue – Da Nang – Hoi An Day 7: Hoi An Day 8: Hoi An – Da Nang - Ho Chi Minh Day 9: Departure I found it intresting though it seems hectic. Just wanted to know what I can skip among the destinations or should i just extend my trip? Btw ho ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,207 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by pokycoug on 18/3/2009 at 02:44

hong kong to hanoi by train

Posted by hartley2 on 13/3/2009 at 21:54

I am travelling to hong kong in june and thinking of taking the train to hanoi, then on down vietnam to saigon, stopping at various points on the way. I have 15 days would it be wise to go on to cambodia(ankorwat) and then bangkok by bus/train, then back to hongkong, by plane, with the 15 days? also what are the visas needed?? thank you ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,423 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by hartley2 on 17/3/2009 at 00:12

Ha Long Bay on a raft

Posted by lodge on 16/3/2009 at 17:31

Just a query for anyone who has been to ha long bay; Do you know if it is possible to hire out your own boat for the day instead of having to go with tour operators? I mean any sort of boat; dingy, canoe... thanks. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,801 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by trailwalker on 16/3/2009 at 20:18

rach gia to phnom penh

Posted by Isobel_123 on 14/3/2009 at 21:50

Hello! We are a bit stuck- we fly into rach gia from phu quoc at 9.30am and would love info on best possible way to get from there to chau doc and then onto phnom penh... old posts say bus and then boat. will this give us a great view of the mekong? given our times, will we manage to catch the transport before it leaves? All help would be awesome! Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,908 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Isobel_123 on 16/3/2009 at 18:48

Sapa Treks? Cheaper from Sapa or Hanoi?

Posted by chicho83 on 17/2/2009 at 04:27

I want to do 3 or 4 days trekking arond sapa staying in homestays. Just wondering if it is cheaper and better to book in Sapa or to organise in Hanoi? Any info or advice on these treks and sapa would be great thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,898 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by DLuek on 14/3/2009 at 16:11

Where is Huong Son in relation to Ha Long?

Posted by DLuek on 6/3/2009 at 21:47

Hi, We're planning to do Ha Long Bay without a tour starting in 2 days and we want to see Perfume Pagoda as well. The problem is I can't seem to find Huong Son (or the pagoda itself) on any map. Can anyone help with advice on transport from Ha Long City to Huong Son? Thanks, DL ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,499 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by DLuek on 11/3/2009 at 19:01

Flights from China to Hanoi

Posted by austinlad32 on 11/3/2009 at 13:16

Hi I am planning a trip to Vietnam, Cambodia etc at the end of April. Anyone know of a place to find cheap place to find a one-way flight from Southern China (Hong Kong, Guangzhou, Shenzen, Macau) to Hanoi as when I have looked they seem kinda pricey, especially as the flight is only about 2hrs. Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,210 times, with no replies.

Road trip from Hanoi - Sapa; advice needed!

Posted by guyedwin on 20/2/2009 at 10:05

My travel partner and I are planning a road trip from Hanoi to Sapa on a Minsk bike in the first week of March. We need advice on the following points from veterans of motorbike pilgrimages! -Guide Are guides essential? How much do they cost on average? Where can we get them? -Itinerary We'll be following closely to this guy's trip - http://kiwinhanoi.blogspot.com/2005/09/hanoi-to-sapa-by-motorbike_19.html Any other alternative recommendations? -Sanitation We're not vaccinated fo ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,315 times, with no replies.

april/may weather...?

Posted by jaymez99 on 8/3/2009 at 22:57

hi everyone...that me and a friend will be travelling through vietnam at the end of april to mid may. can anyone tell me what the weather will be like in north/south or which part will be the best to start off in in terms of weather? i know we're going during rainy season but i hope this doesnt affect things too much for us.... thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,884 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 9/3/2009 at 08:02

Happy Women's Day

Posted by Travelindochine on 7/3/2009 at 09:14

Dear Women travelers and all readers, Time has gone too fast and Women's Day is coming. I trust that all are now eager to welcome. I take this opportunity wishing a very HAPPY WOMEN'S DAY to the most amazing women Wishing you:" - You can do almost everything! - You can swim the deepest ocean! and climb the highest peak! - You can..... - Be a doctor or fly a plane..... YOU ARE STRONG, BEAUTIFUL, COMPASSIONATE, and much more than words could ever say....." HAPPY WOMEN'S DAY (08 MARCH) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,192 times, with no replies.

cheapest visa-on-arrival online service

Posted by keltron on 24/2/2009 at 02:34

Hiya. Was shopping around for the cheapest multiple-entry 'visa-on-arrival' service I can purchase online. Does anyone have any recommendations? Cheapest I've seen is $28+50 stamping fee. Thanks. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,087 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by owenbooy84 on 3/3/2009 at 09:41

Least toúristy way to do Ha Long Bay?

Posted by DLuek on 28/2/2009 at 11:39

Hi, I'm in Hanoi and we want to see Ha Long Bay , but we're not big on the whole package tour idea. Any suggestions on how to see Ha Long Bay as inđêpendêntely as possible? Could we maybe rent a private boat (with driver) for a day out of Ha Long City, Hai Phong or somewhere around Perfume Pagoda? (I am traveling with a fluent Vietnamese speaker). If we do have to book a tour, where is the best place to do it if we've left Hanoi behind already and are already on the coast? Any ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,777 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by DLuek on 2/3/2009 at 20:43

Mui Ne to Phan Rang Thap Cham

Posted by halimah on 26/2/2009 at 10:45

Hi Everyone, My husband and I will be on our maiden trip to Vietnam for abt 8 days in March. We'll be going to Saigon. Our trip will mainly be in Saigon, Mekong Delta and Mui Ne . I was hoping to do a day trip to Phan Rang Thap Cham from Mui Ne because I like ancient architecture. I've got three questions: 1) Is it worth doing the trip? There hardly seems any mention in the forum about Phan Rang Thap Cham. 2 How do I get from Mui Ne to Phan Rang? 3) Also, how do we go about visi ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,993 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by halimah on 26/2/2009 at 22:06

Tourist police - Danang

Posted by stiginge on 25/12/2008 at 11:22

I want to complain about a travel agency in Danang and am wondering what the best approach would be. What's the procedure for tourists making complaints in vietnam? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,547 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by rbrad on 26/2/2009 at 07:38

Itinerary Assistance/Recs

Posted by a114 on 18/2/2009 at 08:50

Me and 3 friends will be traveling to Vietnam in May. We'll be arriving in HCMC late on the 2nd and have a flight back home, also leaving from HCMC, on the 10th. That gives us about 7 days to see as much as we can. Right now the plan is to travel up the country via bus and train then fly from Hanoi back to HCMC. Our current plan is as follows: May 2nd - arrive in HCMC at 23:00 May 3rd - 8pm over night open tour bus to Nha Trang May 4th - arrive in Nha Trang at 6am May 4th - 7pm ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,382 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by a114 on 25/2/2009 at 13:00

Lao Cai to Hanoi train bookings?

Posted by 9deuce on 22/2/2009 at 08:16

I am going to be arriving at Lao Cai from China in late June. Will I be able to get a train ticket to Hanoi for the same night that I arrive or would I need to book in advance? If so, is there an agency I could book it in advance with? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,352 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by halethi on 25/2/2009 at 06:34

A good western magazine store in Hanoi?

Posted by jharrie on 18/2/2009 at 21:10

The subject says it all. We just arrived in Hanoi and would like to find a good western magazine store, we've read the heck out of all our reading material. We're in the old quarter. Thanks in advance. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,541 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Stigron on 19/2/2009 at 13:33

My Tho? And Can Tho or just Can Tho?

Posted by amazon_blonde on 17/2/2009 at 13:49

After reading the information on trusty travelfish, especially the bit about overpriced packaged tours on the river, I'm thinking that My Tho maybe isn't worth our time? We're planning to stay in Can Tho for a few days and will be coming overland from Cambodia and are also planning to stay in Chau Doc for a day. Should we skip My Tho or is it worth a separate stop? We're at the end of a 7 month trip, and as usually happens, we're running out of time. Planning on 3 days in each Saigon a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,135 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by amazon_blonde on 18/2/2009 at 13:25

Itinerary feedback

Posted by Sawf35 on 17/2/2009 at 09:09

Hi all, first-time poster here. A mate and I are heading to Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia for roughly 4 weeks on the way back to Europe (not nearly long enough I know, but we have a deadline to meet unfortunately...). We have had a look at a possible itinerary and come up with the following rough plan: 15/03/2009 - Melbourne to Saigon 16/03/2009 - Saigon 17/03/2009 - Overnight train: Saigon to Da Nang (for Hoi An ) 18/03/2009 - Hoi An 19/03/2009 - Hoi An 20/03/2009 - Hoi An to Danang ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,304 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by Sawf35 on 18/2/2009 at 09:49

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page