Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

accomodation

Posted by Rensina on 30/1/2009 at 15:31

first time to vietnam....anyone tell me please budget but clean to stay for a couple of nights in Hanoi...must be old qtr. Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,249 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by koko on 2/2/2009 at 18:42

general help in Vietnam... much appreciated

Posted by travelr on 31/1/2009 at 18:33

Hello all, Just arrived in Vietnam and had a truly terrible- and frightening- experience just getting to the Old Quarter from the airport in Hanoi. Been traveling around SE Asia for over 6 weeks but never had such a bad feeling about a place as I do this city- and I hate making such quick judgements, I know I should give it a chance (this only happened an hour ago so bear with me). Anyway, I noticed lots of posts about people being frustrated with the rip offs they encounter throughout Vi ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,731 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by BigRoss on 1/2/2009 at 19:06

How long train from Hoi An to Nha Trang

Posted by lotus39 on 26/1/2009 at 18:13

Hi I was wondering how long the train trip is from Hoi An to Nha Trang (do we need to catch it from Danang or is Hoi An ok) And is the soft sleep best for the trip?? Also does anyone know how to book air fare via Vietnam Airlines from Australia as I am having trouble with the site....or is Jet Star ok?? thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,569 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by lotus39 on 1/2/2009 at 12:50

vietnam itinerary

Posted by roynolan on 29/1/2009 at 17:03

Hi, we ahve only 10 days in Vietnam this year, and would appreciate any views/tips on my plans. SAIGON day 1&2:half day to cu chi tunnels and saigon day 3:boat from saigon to MY Tho then Phoenix Island day 4:PHAN RANG- po klong gari and po ro me cham towers by motorbike day 5&6 NHA TRANG- po hagar and thap ba hot spring and beach. day 7&8:HUE imperial city, royal tombs. day 9&10: HANOI. we are travelling by train all the way including a couple of overnight sleepers. Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,406 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by roynolan on 31/1/2009 at 20:31

Hoi An hotel for family with 2 children

Posted by armstrly on 6/1/2009 at 09:28

We are looking for a clean, mid-range hotel (under $60) with a pool, in the city centre, that can accommodate all 4 of us in 1 room. Family room or connecting room with 3 beds would be ideal. Any families out there with recommendations? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,995 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Travelindochine on 31/1/2009 at 14:17

Hanio Station to Airport Transit Time

Posted by basejump on 24/1/2009 at 19:43

hi we will be travelling to hanoi (from sapa) by train and need to catch a flight the same day. do the trains usally arrive on time ie at 4:00am and are taxis available when the train arrives and how long should we allow for transit to the airport? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,237 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Travelindochine on 31/1/2009 at 14:14

PB Air - Danang to Bangkok

Posted by lcreller on 12/1/2009 at 21:34

Hi, just to let you know, got an email response today saying that PB Air no longer fly the Danang-Bangkok route despite it still appearing on their website. Looks like I will have to go back up to Hanoi and fly down to Bangkok with Air Asia unless anyone knows of another quick route? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,010 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 27/1/2009 at 01:34

Train from Danang to Nha trang

Posted by ron67 on 17/1/2009 at 06:49

We plan to travel in May, we where told from a travel aqgent in HCM we can only book with them 1month in advance, is it best to book early? any ideas much appreciated. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,224 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by koko on 25/1/2009 at 16:51

Trekking Fansipan without tour

Posted by roger_sh on 24/1/2009 at 10:01

Hi, Does anyone know how complicated is to trekk Fansipan without to have to go in a tour. Is possible to buy a resonable map of the area ,and rent tent and sleeping in Sapa? How is the path, resonably or well marked; or full of animals (cow, goat, etc) trails and naked rocks? Thanks in advance for any advice ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,006 times, with no replies.

Flying from Laos to Hanoi

Posted by sksun on 5/1/2009 at 08:38

Hi, Wondering how to get from Laos to Hanoi by plane. Preferably from Luang Prabang. I know Vietnam Airlines fly this route but are there any other ways - doesn't matter if there are stopovers or if I sort of backtrack first. Also it seems there is only one direct flight on most days from Luang Prabang to Hanoi? And Vietnam airlines doesn't have online booking? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks ! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,681 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by chrispyrolls on 24/1/2009 at 03:07

Travel from Da Nang

Posted by doughowell1 on 19/1/2009 at 23:02

Looking for some advice. I am new to Travelfish........... I will be spending a few days in Da Nang and then will have to travel to either Hue airport (Phu Bai) or to Dong Ha. I was thinking of renting a motorbike. Is this possible? Bad idea? doug ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,295 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by doughowell1 on 21/1/2009 at 01:23

Flight from Vietnam (Hanoi or Ho Chi Min) to Cairns

Posted by Taxicat on 7/2/2007 at 16:03

We are trying to find the cheapest and best way to get to Cairns from Vietnam, so have a couple of q's: 1. Is it best to go from Hanoi or Ho Chi Min when trying to get to Cairns? 2. Which cities in Aus do these flights stop at en route? 3. Where online can we book a cheap flight from either Hanoi or Ho Chi Min to Cairns? Thanks so much in advance ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,974 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by on 19/1/2009 at 11:11

Ninh Binh DON'T: QUEEN MINI GUEST HOUSE

Posted by samdraft on 2/5/2008 at 17:28

I would like to advise travelers to steer clear of the Queen Mini Guest House: The owner/manager extorted my friends and I and then drew a knife when we attempted to leave! It is on the road leading up (or away from the) train station, Hong Hoa Tham Street, and is in the Lonely Planet Guide. Don't be lured in by the convince! We rented motorbikes from the Queen Mini over night and drove into the country side surrounding Ninh Binh- I'd highly recommend this excursion. When we returned ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 12,206 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by CatBa on 19/1/2009 at 00:45

Has anyone stayed in Mai Phuong on Phu Quoc?

Posted by helenmargaret on 18/1/2009 at 08:23

We are staying on Phu Quoc next month and would like to stay at Mai Phuong. It is 20kms from twon and don't want to get stuck there if the restaurant is bad or the guesthouse is not as it appears. There do not seem to be any blogs at all on it. Has anyone stayed there? Appreciate any feedback thks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,642 times, with no replies.

Buying train tickets at the station last minute... risky?

Posted by qaq01 on 16/12/2008 at 04:50

my friend and I are planning on taking a sleeper train from Hanoi to Danang this jan, and i have read that it is much better to purchase tickets at the train station itself. However, we are on a tight schedule, and plan to be leaving for Danang the evening of the DAY OF our arrival in Vietnam/Hanoi. That doesn't give us time to go to the station and reserve tickets two days in advance. If we show up at the station at around 1pm to buy tickets, what are the odds that there won't be any mor ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,613 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by lizzie267 on 17/1/2009 at 23:58

Hanoi hotel - Blue Paradise or Duc Thai?

Posted by qaq01 on 16/12/2008 at 04:44

So i will be staying 3 nights in Hanoi mid jan, and I am trying to figure out what the best location would be. I have read great reviews of Duc Thai hotel, but I have also read it is a bit out of the way? I was wondering if anyone knew enough about either to recommend one over the other, or perhaps even a third option I may have overlooked. Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,546 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by travellover on 16/1/2009 at 12:06

Dong Van

Posted by chocolatenomad on 9/1/2009 at 13:30

Hi, I am travelling to Vietnam on Feb 13th and about a week or so later will go to Hanoi. I am planning to keep a couple of days for Hanoi and then go on to visit Dong Van Highlands in the Ha Giang Province. Its about 350 km from Hanoi. Problem is, that's all I know about it, apart from the fact that its an astounding and spectacular place filled with streams and mountains. So here are my questions: Has anyone been to this placE? How do you get there? Stay options How many days do ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,136 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by chocolatenomad on 14/1/2009 at 10:30

Take motorbike on ferry Rach Gia - Phu Quoc

Posted by stiginge on 13/1/2009 at 23:02

Is this possible? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,540 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 14/1/2009 at 07:22

Rat holes and ladders

Posted by paulfarcher on 13/1/2009 at 11:20

You are staying at a good hotel, say $45 / night. Your helpful host offers to book a similar hotel for you at the next destination - you pay a 'deposit', usually $10 / night. The next hotel is not quite so good - still OK though. YOu want to avoid hassles at the next place so again you ask the hotel to book ahead - $10 deposit and away you go. The next hotel is basically a rat hole but you are committed and get out ASAP the next day. It's like a chain letter - you donate $10 to hotel keepers and ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,428 times, with no replies.

Phu Quoc - Siem Reap Overland- fast & cheap!

Posted by Isobel_123 on 9/1/2009 at 06:10

Hello, After much searching on this website and others I have not been able to find updated information regarding this journey overland, now that the border at Ha Tien is open to foreigners... My partner and I are wanting the fastest overland way for this route.. can this be done in a day? All info regarding costs, time for each leg and frequency of departures would be really helpful! So far with info already gathered the fastest is: Fly Phu Quoc- Rach Gia (Vietnam Air for A$22, take ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,883 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 9/1/2009 at 11:44

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page