Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Vietnamese Travel Agent

Posted by aussie_jase on 17/10/2008 at 09:12

Hi guys, Sorry if this one has been asked before, but can anyone recommend a good travel agent in Vietnam to book some internal flights? Im in Australia, so I am unable to book flights on the vietnam airlines website. An agent with vietnam airlines here in Sydney suggested I book the flights with an agent over there but could not recommend any specifically. I have found one by the name of vietnamopentour.com but any good recommendations would be great. Cheers, Jason. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,934 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by seattle on 21/10/2008 at 10:46

Sapa/Bac Ha Trip- Handspan or on our Own?

Posted by Elih500 on 17/10/2008 at 13:17

Hello, We are from the US and traveling to Vietnam in a week. I've never considered a tour, but everyone suggested doing some pre-booking for the north. For a "private tour" through one of the reputable tour companies in Hanoi we were quoted $714 for train, 1 night hotel in Bac ha, 2 in Sapa, guide/car for 4 days. When I asked if I could just book a train, 2 day guide and 1 Bac ha night so we could be free the rest of the time, the price only went down $13 and I was informed that the 2 berth ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,598 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 21/10/2008 at 07:18

Need to find what to do in Nha Trang?

Posted by flamingosuites on 13/9/2008 at 00:18

You can ask me questions here, I will reply the best that I can. I am an expats living in Vietnam since 4 years (2 years in Nha Trang now) and I know the city very well. All questions are ok. Nicolas ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,730 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by zhandarova on 18/10/2008 at 01:04

Hanoi Tours

Posted by lafieffe77 on 17/10/2008 at 16:04

Hello every travelers, My husband and I, came back from our trip in Vietnam. We stayed 3 weeks during we went to several places like Along Bay, Sapa, Hue, Hoi an and Ho Chi Minh city. We took our tour with the local agence HANOITOURS. A lot of tourist are looking to a serious and productive travel agent. We recommend this one. Thir website is hanoitours.com.vn Enjoy your trip to Vietnam. Jean and Martine ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,240 times, with no replies.

Another itinerary for comment

Posted by aussie_jase on 14/10/2008 at 16:22

Hey all, just thought I'd put forward a provisional itinerary to see what the pro's think... Day 1 - Saigon Days 2 - 5 Phu Quoc (flight from Saigon) Day 6 Phu Quoc to Rach Gia to Chau Doc Day 7 Chau Doc to Phnom Penh Days 8, 9 Phnom Penh Day 10 Phnom Penh to Siem Reap Days 11, 12 Siem Reap Day 13 Siem Reap to Da Nang (fly) Days 14 - 24 Da Nang to Hanoi (including Ha Long Bay) Days 25, 26 - Sapa From there its off to China for a couple of weeks. Any thoughts or suggestions are app ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,277 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 15/10/2008 at 07:59

Motercycles....

Posted by MarkHall on 10/10/2008 at 18:07

What are the laws in Vietnam regarding motercyclists... do you need to have a licence?? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,390 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 13/10/2008 at 07:04

Vietnam - Cambodia bordero cross

Posted by gabyco00 on 11/10/2008 at 05:02

Hi I´m from Costa rica and I´ll be travelling to Vietnam November 2008. I want to travel from Saigon to Phonm Penh by bus, I´ve read this takes about 7 hours. Can anyone tell me which border crossing point do the buses take because I know they accept the cambodian e-visa in Bavet, but not in the other border-crossing. Thank you for the help ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,965 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by jimsparadise on 11/10/2008 at 19:19

3 day trip through Mekong

Posted by kwinzent on 10/10/2008 at 23:43

I am looking for suggestions on itineraries for a brief 3 day trip originating in Ho Chi Minh and optimally ending in/near Rach Gia as we intend to continue on to Phu Quoc. Are there any suggestions on doing a self tour through the Mekong? Is it relatively easy to find transportation and such? Any insight would be so appreciated! Thanks a bunch! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,088 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 11/10/2008 at 18:12

Hue, HoiAn or PhuQuoc

Posted by kathyt on 22/9/2008 at 11:01

I have 13 days in Vietnam starting in Hanoi. Is this enough time to see Hue & HoiAn and take the train along the coast eventually spending time in the Mekong Delta, or is it better to fly to HCMC and go to PhuQuoc and visit the Mekong Delta at a much slower pace? Are Hue and HoiAn must visits or are they over commercialized? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,776 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by chrispyrolls on 11/10/2008 at 00:17

Vietnam warning

Posted by rsawyer5 on 17/9/2008 at 19:28

Hey everyone just wanted to give a warning about Vietnam. I just spent a month and a half there and had quite a few terrible encounters. Literally everywhere we went someone was trying to rip us off. The biggest one coming in Ha Long Bay where they tried to charge us 3 times the price of the trip. If you plan on going there make your reservations in Hanoi. Also dont ever accept anything from a hotel (ex. bottle of water) or napkins at a restaurant without asking if you have to pay for it. I got ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,435 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by ibizanne on 9/10/2008 at 23:12

Hanoi and surrounding area - with kids - in December

Posted by danfritschen on 29/9/2008 at 15:03

My family..2 adults and 2 small children (ages 5 and 8) are heading to SEA for December. We plan on staying 4 days in Hanoi. Had a few questions thanks for the advice. weather..i am assuming between 15 and 20 degrees with some clouds but not much rain..is that safe? Ideally we would like to hire a private guide/car for 3 days to show us around hanoi upto perfume pagoda and also bich dong area..i havent seen where we could get the same guide for all 3 days..any suggestions? Also we w ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,180 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by geneluck on 6/10/2008 at 19:41

Cooking course in HCMC or around

Posted by chaosclaire on 4/10/2008 at 17:02

Can anyone recommend a full-day cooking course in HCMC or around? (will travel, for example, to Vung Tau, Mekong Delta region for the right one) We're looking for a full day, or maybe even several days. Thanks! Claire ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,562 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by chaosclaire on 6/10/2008 at 16:30

HCMC - Hanoi overland

Posted by frankyday on 30/9/2008 at 11:17

Folks, I am new to here and glad to have such an informative forum with all the useful information. My trip in Vietnam should be around mid Dec. And preliminary Itin as follow, see whether how you guys think:- Day0 - arriving HCMC evening time Day1-3 - HCMC and surrondings Day4-5 - Dalat Day6-7 - Nha Trang (night train to Hoi An) Day8-9 - Hoi An (night train to Hanoi) Day10 - Hanoi (I will miss Halong Bay anyway as I am not really keen on boating etc) Day11 - Go home. Personal ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,739 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by frankyday on 3/10/2008 at 08:19

2 weeks to kill in S.E.Asia. Where should i go????? before meeting mates and partying in thailand

Posted by somtam73 on 30/9/2008 at 23:14

Brill sight this so happy i stumbled across it. My names Di im from london and March 23rd next year im flying to Bangkok. Im so excited about travelling that ive got my nickers in a twist where to go as i only have 2 weeks SOLO before meeting my mates back in Bangkok to go island hopping/moon partying together in the south. I really dont know wether to go to Vietnam or Cambodia or Laos??? I have my head half buried in the lonely planet as we speak :O)) I only have 2 weeks what could i f ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,733 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by doakey on 1/10/2008 at 03:30

Visa to China

Posted by TheRunningman on 8/9/2008 at 17:51

Hey, from January to June I want to travel by Bus n' Train from Malaysia to Europe. So I have to cross China. My Problem is to get a permission for a visa. I went to the Chinese Embassy here in Germany and they told me that I need flighttickets or in my case enter- and Exit-Traintickets. I want to Enter China from Vietnam by Train wich goes from Hanoi to Nanning. And I want to leave China by Train from Beijing to Irkutsk(Russia). I know that the chinese give Tourists Visa in Vietna ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,182 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by AandLtraveling on 27/9/2008 at 22:51

Learning French In Vietnam

Posted by suolib on 7/9/2008 at 15:28

Hi all Can anyone help, Im an English guy 45 yrs and will be travelling to Vietnam Nov 2008 - Mar 2009 and whilst on my travels I need to learn French as next year (2009) i wil be living and working in the south of France. Im happy to go to school or be taught privatley. also will french be widely spoken out there ? I prefer to be in thew south of Vietnam any information will be greatly recieved. Your advice and assistance is appreciated Regards Billy ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,619 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by malthoff on 23/9/2008 at 13:11

Tip for Cai Be floating market

Posted by rdavout on 13/9/2008 at 02:50

Arriving directly in Cai Be is a great way to visit the floating market. Small boats (2-3 people) are easily rented out to locals out of the tourism industry for 40 000 VND an hour. It cuts out an hour of unneccessary boat transport and lets you with the nice bits. Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,172 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by rdavout on 16/9/2008 at 01:43

Photos in Ban Lien???

Posted by jlbrillet on 15/9/2008 at 19:19

Hello from Paris/ Hanoi. I stayed for 3 nights in Saomai hotel in Bac Ha in august 2007 (11-14). I rented a motorbike with a driver for three days, and I took a lot of pictures of markets and especially a village, about 25-30 kms from Bac Ha. I would like to send some pictures to the people in the village. I think they would be very happy, but I lost the address. I think the village is Ban Lien or around it.Can anybody help me? I would be quite grateful. If you want to identify it, ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,354 times, with no replies.

which Country?

Posted by piglet44 on 13/8/2008 at 13:35

We have two weeks to travel in April. Which country would be the best bet? We like temples, scenery, people. Not looking for a tough trek more something "soft" but cultural. Have been to South India, China and Thailand in past trips and enjoyed all of them. Heard that the Vietnamese are not so friendly.Any comments? thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,423 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by SBE on 14/9/2008 at 12:36

Best Travel Method in Vietnam/Cambodia

Posted by SikeMo on 13/8/2008 at 03:53

Hello, I am planning a Vietnam/Cambodia trip for October-November and was wondering what the general consensus was on travel within the countries. We are starting in Ha Noi and then continuing on to the Hue area, Ho Chi Minh, and then to Phnom Penh. Is it generally better to take overnight trains or book flights? Should I book in advance or wait until we get there? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,239 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by rdavout on 14/9/2008 at 01:13

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page