Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

If you're a first time visitor to Vietnam, we'll point you to the Ha Long Bay thread for points to keep in mind when selecting the right Ha Long Bay tour for you. If you've questions about a potential itinerary, do take a look at the itinerary section of the site as well. We'll also apologise in advance for the persistent spamming by Vietnam-based travel agents -- we do try to delete them as quickly as they come in. Sorry!

Saigon Vs Hanoi

Posted by Marney_47 on 25/6/2008 at 13:07

I have 1 week in Vietnam (8 days) and instead of cramming and making the mistake of rushing my travel (Nobody wants that) i have decided i will concerntrate on one area either Hanoi and its surrounding areas, Ha long Bay etc, or Saigon and its surrounding areas. Straight after i visit Vietnam im heading to Cambodia for a week so firstly it made sense for me to fly from Vietianne (Laos) to Saigon instead of goin out of my way to Hanoi and causing problems then trying to get to Phnom Penh from ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,472 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by daawgon on 25/6/2008 at 18:27

5 WEEKS VIETNAM & MAYBE BKK, KO SAMET OR PHU QUOK?? NEED HELP

Posted by paulascott on 24/6/2008 at 10:35

Hi, Looking for advice & suggestions. Had 4 brilliant weeks with family backpacking Thailand last March and the trip was so memorable due to all the suggestions & advice of this forum - so thanks all. Now I'm planning 5 weeks with 2 kids in tow again, this time flying in July 09 into HCMC. Like the sounds of Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Halong Bay, Sapa & Hoi An. But also include the Mekong Delta, but not on a tour as such (so advice needed here). Does anyone have any suggestions for an i ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,143 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by paulascott on 25/6/2008 at 08:01

Romantic Hotel in Hanoi

Posted by liv97 on 24/6/2008 at 04:10

My fiance and I are spending a couple nights in Hanoi at the start of our honeymoon. Any recommendation for romantic nice hotels? We'd prefer something small and unique over 4-seasons type mass-market luxury. Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,872 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by liv97 on 24/6/2008 at 06:35

Weather in Phu Quoc

Posted by Spacey on 22/6/2008 at 18:16

Hi, I want to go to Phu Quoc in September, I know its still the rainy season but is it bad enough then that I should give Phu Quoc a miss? I just want to veg out for a few days on the beach. Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,688 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 22/6/2008 at 20:20

gettin lazy and booking tours!!!

Posted by itchyfeet72 on 19/6/2008 at 12:19

hi all arriving in hanoi tomorrow morning and thinking about taking tours to halong bay and sapa so i basically have 10 more days left in vietnam and would like to see all 3 places(too many for my liking but while im here...) anyway enough of the rambling has anyone any recomendations of good honest tour operators to either places-pref if youve been recently-the main stories ive heard while travelling havnt been great! also on a budget but not exactly 'bare bones' thanks for any info-also ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,625 times, with no replies.

Halong Bay 2 days 1 night?

Posted by Taaa on 16/6/2008 at 12:06

I would like to know if i can do a trip for Halong bay 2 days 1 night? Any idea for it because i'll visit Vietnam for 5 day. Thank you very much ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,092 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by seahmj on 18/6/2008 at 22:18

travel time Sapa night train - HAN, Viet Air to SGN

Posted by metropical on 15/6/2008 at 00:27

My overnight train from Sapa arrives at 5:30A Hanoi, the flight to SGN leaves at 8:30A. The flight from SGN home to NYC leaves at 12:45P. Is there enough time allowed to make all this happen or should I consider an extra night in SGN before the trip to NYC? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,299 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by liquefiedstars on 16/6/2008 at 07:39

Travelling during TET

Posted by benh on 15/6/2008 at 00:21

Is it hard to travel around Vietnam during the festival? I need to book some train tickets and was wondering whether to book them in advance. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,328 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by benh on 15/6/2008 at 14:33

bus, sgn 2 pnh ......

Posted by appleegg on 13/6/2008 at 13:57

so then, what company can most reliably transport me and my 2 kids from sgn 2 pnh? quickest and easiest at the border. strong aircon, most comfortable and maybe a toilet if possible. thankyou, appleegg. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,855 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by etulio on 14/6/2008 at 13:30

unlocked GSM fone in Vietnam

Posted by metropical on 14/6/2008 at 00:58

are these easy to come by and reliable or should I purchase before I leave home? If so what price range? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,082 times, with no replies.

pham ngu lao hotel - 2 kids???

Posted by appleegg on 13/6/2008 at 13:54

aloha, anyone have a good recommendation for a good hotel for me and my 2 11 year olds? would like something facing pham ngu lao w/ a balcny. it must - sleep 3. aircon, tv, clean. balcony. keep our reservation. thank you in advance, appleegg. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,633 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 13/6/2008 at 19:11

Travelling from Saigon to Phnom Penh

Posted by benh on 12/6/2008 at 20:12

I have done a bit of research, but can anyone recommend the best way to do this? We only have limited time as we are on a 3 week holiday, so would like a scenic, but fairly quick journey. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,449 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 13/6/2008 at 07:48

Laos(vang vien) to nha trang

Posted by elainemurphy2 on 11/6/2008 at 18:01

Hi just wondering whats the easiest and fastest way to get to nha trang from laos?thanks elaine ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,639 times, with no replies.

Phu Quoc Island or Hue and Hoi An

Posted by Sandrac on 28/2/2008 at 18:25

Plan A: Chau Doc to Rach Gia stay 1 night then to Phu Quoc Island for 3 nights then to Can Tho for 2 nights then to HCMC for 2 nights then fly to Hanoi Plan B: Chau Doc to Can Tho stay 3 nights then HCMC stay 2 nights then fly to Danang stay 3 nights Hue/Hoi An then fly to Hanoi Please help us decide, we're really struggling with which option to take, this will be the last leg of our trip and 8 days is all we can spare. Any suggestions anyone has will be much appreciated ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,962 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by alicjusia on 11/6/2008 at 17:37

Kayaking & Camping in Halong Bay

Posted by carolyns on 5/1/2008 at 21:40

I just wanted to put in a plug for the 3-day seakayaking and camping trip that Handspan has - we stayed at a "base camp" on one of the islands in Halong Bay which was really comfortable and the food was great. We stayed in little huts with mattresses on the floor (2 to a hut), with mosquito nets. They even had hot showers available. There were only three of us on the trip and we kayaked about 2 hours on the first afternoon - all day the second day and for another 2 -3 hours on the last day. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,778 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by alicjusia on 11/6/2008 at 16:36

Phu Quoc: Mai House vs Beach Club Input Appreciated!

Posted by debburdick on 11/6/2008 at 11:08

Has anyone been to both of these to give a recommendation. I know they are both highly recommended so we will probably not go wrong. The Beach House looks great but I just found out Mai House added a Deluxe Beachfront Bungalow with a King bed. Beach house did not have any beachfront available, although I realize they are all very close to the beach. I have not seen many pictures but we do enjoy our privacy and lounging on our deck and will be celebrating our second anniversary while we are there ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,561 times, with no replies.

Sapa self guided or guided

Posted by metropical on 10/6/2008 at 00:29

I'm looking at 3 -4 days in both Sapa region and Luang Prabang area. Am I better off booking before I go or self guiding when there other than transport and hotels? I've been given one package price of $2600 which seems high. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,347 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by metropical on 11/6/2008 at 02:31

Floating markets

Posted by ngg18 on 7/6/2008 at 16:54

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could tell me which of the several floating markets in the Mekong delta would be most worthwhile visiting? I have read that there are floating markets at My Tho and Can Tho. Also does anyone know of a good website that lists all the various bus and boat options in the delta? Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,996 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by paradissatravel on 10/6/2008 at 17:02

~ Advise on Booking Tours in Sapa~

Posted by clemontz on 9/6/2008 at 14:08

Hi all, need some advise on my itinery in Sapa my group will be arriving in Lao Cai Station on a Tues morning.(yes sadly, we just can't make it intime for the sun markets). Tentatively, we would like to go to the Coc Ly tues market, and then Homestay at Ta Van. We would also like to visit Ban Ho, and several other tribal village, and spend the 2nd night in Sapa town itself. then the thurs morning visit Cat-Cat vilage, b4 returning to hanoi. However, the tours package online i found was a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,986 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by etulio on 9/6/2008 at 16:06

ATM's dispense what currency, $ or dong?

Posted by jourdin on 29/5/2008 at 15:07

I have seen conflicting stories about what ATM's dispense, dong and/or US dollars. What's the true story? Do some machines dispense two different currencies? How does one know what currency a machine dispenses? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,492 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by paradissatravel on 7/6/2008 at 16:52

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page