If you’re looking to visit Thailand, you may be eligible for a free 30-day visa exemption. Nationals of 49 countries entering Thailand by air are granted a 30-day stay and those crossing by land are granted a 15-day stay. Nationals of the UK, USA, Canada, Germany, Italy, Japan and France are entitled to a 30-day visa exemption whether they enter Thailand by air or land crossing.
If that’s not enough time for you, you can apply for a 60-day tourist visa before entering the country. This visa will allow you one 30-day extension for a total of 90 days in Thailand. Only single entry tourist visas are issued in Phnom Penh.
To apply for a 60-day tourist visa at the Thai embassy in Phnom Penh, you’ll need:
* One completed application form (a blank one can be picked up at the embassy, or printed off from here);
* One recent colour passport-sized photo (photos will be rejected if not taken recently);
* Proof of onward travel — we’ve been advised bus tickets may not be accepted. A flight ticket is preferable;
* Proof of adequate finance – $1000 for an individual, $2000 for a family on single-entry visa. $8000 for an individual on a multiple-entry visa, who will also need to show six months of financial statements;
* Applicants for multiple-entry visas are also required to provide proof of employment, and evidence of accommodation booking.
Applicants from all African nations are required to provide two application forms and two photos. Those from Afghanistan, Algeria, Bangladesh, Egypt, India, Iraq, Lebanon, Libya, Nepal, Pakistan, Palestine, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen, must provide three forms and three photos. And citizens of Iran, North Korea and China must provide five application forms and five photos (!).
The fee for a 60-day, single-entry tourist visa is $40, and must be paid in cash in US dollars only. A multiple-entry, 60-day visa is $200.
Non-immigrant visas are also available for between $65 and $350, depending on which kind you get. You can find more information on the Phnom Penh Thai Embassy’s website.
The consular services office hours are:
Visa applications: 08:30 – 11:00, Monday through Friday, except public holidays
Visa collections: 15:00 – 16:30, Monday through Friday, except public holidays
Royal Thai Embassy
#196, Norodom Blvd, Phnom Penh
T: (023) 726 306
By Nicky Sullivan
Last updated on 4th February, 2016.