CAMBODIA: Two week explorer
Just some suggestions
Basically the One Week Explorer with all the options thrown in, this two week vacation gives the traveller a good mix of ruins, beaches and culture. There's a fair amount of bus travel involved, but there's also enough down time to rest your sore bum.
As with the One Week Explorer, there is ample opportunity for side-trips and extensions to this, but given the amount of travel involved, we'd suggest adding in a few rest days before adding in too many more destinations -- this is a holiday afterall.
Both Siem Reap and Phnom Penh have international airports, so you could fly in and start the trip from either, though those with more time can overland in and out of the country -- Cambodia has overland borders with all of its neighbours.
Suggest trip length
The suggested minimum time for a trip like this is two weeks, though three weeks is a far more comfortable pace.
1) Arrive Siem Reap (Angkor Wat -- allow at least two days)
2) Siem Reap -> Battambang (bucolic scenery, ruins, nori rides, Khmer Rouge history)
3) Battambang -> Phnom Penh (capital city, Khmer Rouge history, colonial architecture, scenic riverside setting)
4) Phnom Penh -> Sihanoukville (beaches, islands, waterfalls, backpacker scene)
5) Sihanoukville -> Kep (beaches, island, national park)
6) Kep -> Phnom Penh (capital city, Khmer Rouge history, colonial architecture, scenic riverside setting)
7) Phnom Penh -> Kompong Cham (temples, silk villages, river-trips)
8) Kompong Cham -> Kratie (Irrawaddy Dolphins)
Save some time
Two day: Fly into and out of Cambodia -- both Siem Reap and Phnom Penh have international airports.
Take a side trip
Two days: Strike north from Siem Reap to the Khmer Rouge hideout of Anlong Veng -- a destination unique in Cambodia
Three days: Head northeast from Kratie to the remote capital of Ban Lung go trekking, take river trips and visit minority cemeteries.
View Cambodia two weeks in a larger map
Sample Trip Times (in hours)
To help you work out how you'll get around, we've listed the trip durations for the various forms of transport available. Note that with the exception of flight times, these are average trip times, so no hate mail if you take the slow train.
|CAMBODIA: Two week explorer|
|Phnom Penh||Kompong Cham||-||4:00||-||-|
|Kratie||Ban Lung||-||6:00 - 08:00||-||-|
Planning advice by topic
- How to plan
- Why you need insurance
- What to pack
- Where to go
- All Cambodia trips
- Cambodia in 1 week
- Cambodia in 2 weeks
- Cambodia in 1 month
- A week around Siem Reap
- All Indonesia trips
- Bali in 1 week
- Bali in 2 week
- Java in 1 week
- Java in 2 weeks
- All Laos trips
- A sidetrip from Luang Prabang
- Laos in 1 week
- Laos in 3 weeks
- Laos south
- All Malaysia trips
- 1 week in Langkawi
- 10 days in Sabah
- All Thailand trips
- 3 weeks on Thailand's northern Andaman coast
- Thailand coast to coast
- A weekend on Ko Samui
- Thailand in 1 week
- Thailand Mae Hong Son Loop
- Thailand north
- Thailand north loop
- Thailand in 4-5 weeks
- Thailand north & south
- Thailand northeast short trip
- Thailand northeast tour
- All Vietnam trips
- A weekend in Saigon
- Vietnam Hanoi to Saigon
- Vietnam south
- Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam
- Northern Laos, northern Vietnam
- Four countries
- Gear advice
- Gear reviews
- Learn the language
Other suggested itineraries
Sign up for Travelfish Burp!
Our weekly wrap on Southeast Asian travel.
Click here to see a recent newsletter.