Photo: A walk in the fields near Tetebatu, Lombok.

About us forum

Strewth

Posted by tezza on 16/8/2011 at 17:42

Stone the crows Stewy!
I just spent the best part of an hour typing in a report on Kapas Island, but the Travelfish automatic log-out meant that when I tried to post it, I lost it all.
How 'bout you extend the auto-log out so that long winded slow typing bastards like me get enough time to do the job? Or develop an auto-save function.

#1 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,339
 Website 

Posted by DLuek on 17/8/2011 at 07:47 TF writer

Agreed! I am a long-winded slow typing bastard and I have been there more than once as well! :)

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,176
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by busylizzy on 17/8/2011 at 08:04

Fair dinkum, mate! And don't 'em get away with the idea that you can write it somewhere else and cut and paste back into here when you've finished. When you do that, your formatting goes out the window - the end-of-line breaks are removed and the words jam together.

It's enough to make you want to spit the dummy or go walkabout :-)

#3 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by somtam2000 on 17/8/2011 at 08:44 admin

Session time is currently set at an hour. If you're worried about being logged out right click some link before you post to open another window to reset the session (the hour resets to zero each time you click on a link) as that will give you another hour. Or do what I do, type long posts in word or notepad etc and cut and paste in when you've finished it.

Apols for the inconvenience, but am not lengthening the session time beyond an hour.

@busylizzy you need to do the formatting in this text box. Just don';t format the text!

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by busylizzy on 17/8/2011 at 08:59

What I was meaning is if I just type the text in a Word document then cut and paste into TF, the end-of-line markers (or whatever they are) seem to disappear, meaning the spaces are missing between words (ie between last word of line 1 and first word of line 2 in my word doc).

Sorry, I didn't mean formatting per se....which I wouldn't expect to come through from Word.

Luckily for me (and everyone!), I'm trying to keep my posts a bit shorter so it's not much of an issue. Just thought I'd mention it...

#5 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155

Posted by tezza on 17/8/2011 at 19:51

I'd do all that if I were organised Stew. That'll be the day.

#6 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,339
 Website 

Posted by SBE on 18/8/2011 at 05:18

I don't bother with Word because I've noticed it doesn't work too. (A propos why do some posts have lots of code in them? Is it because they've pasted it from Word or something?)

Anyway, I've cleverly learned to right click on the mouse, select all and copy, before hitting the preview button. If I've been timed out I can just log in and paste my post and it comes out normal.

#7 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,020
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by busylizzy on 18/8/2011 at 08:00

Hi SBE - the code that you see in some posts is probably because they have C&P'dfrom another post or website. I suspect in many cases the poster is posting the same question in multiple forums... and when they cut and paste into TF, it brings through the formatting codes which the TF site doesn't recognise.

It also happens when I cut and paste from another post made in TF that I want to quote- I have to go and remove the HTML text. If you click on the HTML button is shows all the codes that the text contains. You can delete out all the rubbish, preview then save the post. (You may already know that.. but others probably don't!)

#8 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155

Posted by SBE on 18/8/2011 at 19:59

It also happens when I cut and paste from another post made in TF that I want to quote- I have to go and remove the HTML text. If you click on the HTML button is shows all the codes that the text contains. You can delete out all the rubbish, preview then save the post. (You may already know that.. but others probably don't!)

I know nothing when it comes to IT (as you know already!) ;-)...but I don't have any problem with C&Ping other people's posts off the forum. Proof...I just C&Ped the above quote without doing anything except putting it into italics to distinguish it from what I'm writing.

Hmm. Maybe something to do with the browser you use? Just wildly guessing here and my IT guesses are usually wrong.

#9 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,020
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by busylizzy on 19/8/2011 at 03:22

Maybe something to do with the browser you use?

Hmmm... you could be right - you use Firefox by memory whereas I use Chrome. I just C&P'd the text above as a test - and this is how it comes out without me editing it to tidy it up.

#10 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155

Posted by SBE on 19/8/2011 at 04:40

It's weird that the unwanted code seems to be for colour when there's no colour in the text.

#11 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,020
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by christay2009 on 19/8/2011 at 22:47

If you want to get rid of any formatting, or make sure there is none, just copy paste it into a .txt document first (presuming you use windows) then copy it out of that and into where ever. It's not as much of as hassle as it sounds honestly!

At least that is what I do.

#12 christay2009 has been a member since 8/2/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 414

Posted by somtam2000 on 20/8/2011 at 14:21 admin

The code garbage mentioned above is most common is stuff like Word and OpenOffice. You can't see it when you use those programs as it is hidden, but when you cut and paste it into here it will show. As chris suggests putting it through a text editor is one solution, another (for shorter messages) is just to type straight into the box.

No ideal solution sorry.

RGB 54,54,54 mentioned by Lizzy above is for a dark shade of grey - perhaps the default on her work processor.

#13 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by busylizzy on 20/8/2011 at 15:12

No, that's what happens when I do a direct C&P from a TF post. It's a Chrome thing I think, because DBE doesn't have that problem. Anyhow - sorry didn't mean to make it sound like a complaint. It's not a big deal - more just an observation!

#14 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.