Photo: A walk in the fields near Tetebatu, Lombok.

About us forum

surge protector

Posted by 1sttimesea on 11/11/2011 at 21:13

Are surge protectors recommended in Southeast Asia for iPhone charging?

#1 1sttimesea has been a member since 11/11/2011. Posts: 1

Posted by IHateHulkHogan on 12/11/2011 at 02:28

this is kinda the same thing im wondering about,but im bringing my laptop instead. Im coming from The US and wondering if I should bring my big bulky surge protrector or if they make some sorta of travel surge protector

FYI,ill be visting Thailand and Cambodia

#2 IHateHulkHogan has been a member since 14/8/2011. Posts: 6

Posted by altmtl on 12/11/2011 at 02:38

I was told that for things like phones and laptops an adapter was enough, hair dryers and irons are another story. That's what I used last time for my battery charger.

#3 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 995
 Send altmtl a private message   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by busylizzy on 12/11/2011 at 03:25

I wouldn't bother. It would be just one more thing to carry around, and I'm sure you will have enough stuff to lug around already!

#4 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by eastwest on 12/11/2011 at 03:26

surge protectors are not really necessary. Yes you do get sometimes power surges but it's not that often and I assume that you're not "plugged-in" all the time.
The transformers (that change voltage and amps) inside the chargers do provide protection from surges but at the cost of the transformer if a surge occurs. If the transformer/charger breaks you may have to buy a new one but that certainly beats buying a new laptop or iPhone.

If you need your appliance for work I would advice to bring a protector. Otherwise, I'd say just take the small risk and worst case scenario would be that you have to buy a new charger/adapter. Make sure you write down the specs of the chargers/transformers so it will be easier to shop around if you need to buy on.

#5 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778
 Send eastwest a private message 

Posted by goonistik on 12/11/2011 at 06:37

I wouldn't bring a surge protector along. Surge protectors protect against spikes and transients caused by lightning strikes. Just avoid charging during a lightning storm and you can avoid many problems. Surge protectors usually do not protect against over and under voltages.

#6 goonistik has been a member since 7/1/2010. Location: Philippines. Posts: 563
 Send goonistik a private message   Where has goonistik been? 

Posted by mullaleyi on 20/6/2014 at 10:49

What about Myanmar where power supply is often erratic? What kind of protection should I have? I would like to be able to charge my camery battery and plug in my netbook.

The surge protectors for travel I've seen mentioned elsewhere are for 120 volts only.

#7 mullaleyi has been a member since 21/3/2014. Posts: 2

Posted by busylizzy on 20/6/2014 at 16:46

I've travelled in Burma and many months in places in Indonesia, Laos, Thailand, etc (accumulated over the last few years) where power supply is erratic but I've never had a problem with surges affecting my electronics. If there is an electrical/thunder storm, I tend to unplug them to be safe, but otherwise I've had no problems. If in doubt, bring one but it's never been an issue for me so far.

#8 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by mullaleyi on 20/6/2014 at 17:00

Thanks.

#9 mullaleyi has been a member since 21/3/2014. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.