Photo: A walk in the fields near Tetebatu, Lombok.

About us forum

Position vacant: Indonesia and Malaysia researcher

Posted by somtam2000 on 23/8/2015 at 02:20 admin

We are looking for a full-time researcher to cover Peninsular Malaysia and Indonesia for us over the next two years. This role will have you joining three other full time researchers and a team of freelancers writing for Travelfish.org.

The position involves reviewing and gathering information on the ground of interest to independent travellers to the region. This includes hotels, restaurants, sights and transport. You'll be writing with a budget to midrange traveller in mind.

You must be a native English speaker, with Indonesian or Malaysian language skills being highly advantageous. An existing familiarity with the countries is essential. If you have not already travelled extensively in Malaysia and Indonesia, this is not the gig for you.

You must be able to work independently, be trustworthy, tech-savvy and be self-driven. You must love budget travel in Southeast Asia and be passionate about helping others love it too. We work on a strict no-freebies policy and, wherever possible, Travelfish writers research on an anonymous basis.

You must physically go everywhere you write about. This is not a desk research gig. If you're not already familiar with Travelfish, please spend some time familiarising yourself with the site before deciding if we'd be right for you.

Position includes health and travel insurance plus annual and sick leave. Base salary is A$2,500 per month, plus selected expenses (such as transportation and admissions) and a small per diem when travelling to cover (basic) accommodation and food.

For an idea of what working with Travelfish is like, please give the following two stories a read, one by a former writer, Don Morgan, and the other by David Luekens, our current Bangkok-based writer.

https://www.travelfish.org/travel-planning/travel-writing-for-travelfish
https://www.travelfish.org/travel-planning/on-being-a-travel-writer

An itinerary and writing schedule will be developed with the successful applicant.

To apply, please submit a one page CV, and 3-4 articles you have had published (or links to them) to stuartmcdonald@travelfish.org. We need at least one referee you have previously written for whom we can contact -- this person **will** be contacted. Only successful shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Deadline for applications is September 30. Shortlisted candidates will be required to complete fresh writing samples, which will take around a half-day.

Cheers

Stuart

#1 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,021
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Heading to Thailand?
Heading to Thailand?
Ad Search for cheap flights to Thailand
on Skyscanner.

skyscanner.com

Read more

Posted by Gogomobile on 23/8/2015 at 20:49

You should hire Madmac.

#2 Gogomobile has been a member since 14/4/2015. Posts: 412

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by exacto on 23/8/2015 at 22:43

Wow, Stuart, this looks like a pretty good gig. I can immediately think of two people who would be great at this, if they were interested, and a third person (besides me), who would be tempted, but (like me) orients more towards Thailand and that area.

I'm three months into a two-year contract, or I'd be pretty tempted to apply while furiously trying to improve my Bahasa. I hope you get a great list of candidates.

On that topic, I feel like I know DLuek pretty well from his work, but don't know mooball or SoManyMiles or some of the others as well. Any chance of profile articles on these folks? Cheers.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,782
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 24/8/2015 at 00:50

If the Issan position ever opens up, let me know.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by antoniamitchell on 24/8/2015 at 07:52

Gutted that I haven't travelled enough in the region (and that my bahasa doesn't extend much further than "Apa nama anda?").

Hope you find someone great!

#5 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 554
 Send antoniamitchell a private message   Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Posted by somtam2000 on 24/8/2015 at 19:41 admin

@exacto - In the redesign, there are detailed author bio pages -- redesign currently running about 6 months behind schedule, so no promises on when it will actually be finished!

@madmac - had you more in mind for our upcoming salsa section ;-)

Thanks Antonia!

#6 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,021
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by MADMAC on 25/8/2015 at 00:25

@madmac - had you more in mind for our upcoming salsa section

Or the Muay Thai section. I'd be good at either of those.

#7 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by broery on 30/8/2015 at 07:29

Hi Stuart,
Is it me you are looking for ?
( reminds me of Lionel Ritchies song, 'Hello')...
My first time logging in...

I am a Malaysian and have been to many corners of Indonesia ( and Malaysia, of course) speak both malay and indonesian languages fluently, and of course english ( i had my degree from an Australian university).

I've been to Jakarta, Bandung ( several times a year, sometimes for golf and food), Surabaya, Bogor ( more golf), Jogja, Solo ( I could drive myself from Solo to Jogja, have built a house there), Bali ( of course), Ujung Padang, Toraja ( interesting burial rituals) and Manado. Then Palembang, Medan and few towns in Bangka Island, even to Siantan Island or Terempa and the 200 inhabited islands ( hidden treasures)....

BUT you cant have me full time. I am running a succesful business myself, but I can adjust my time as I do enjoy travelling.

Other cities I've been:
LA, SF, Tokyo, Amsterdam, Istanbul, Bangkok, Chaingmai, Vientianne, Luang Prabang, Hanoi, Saigon, London, Bucharest, Praque, Warsaw, Kiev, Yalta, Vienna, Frakfurt, Berlin, Munich, All over Austalia and New Zealand, Seoul, Busan, Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzen, LiJiang, Kunming, XiAn...

BROERY
( u know my email)

#8 broery has been a member since 30/8/2015. Posts: 3

Posted by exacto on 30/8/2015 at 10:21

To apply, please submit a one page CV, and 3-4 articles you have had published (or links to them) to stuartmcdonald@travelfish.org. We need at least one referee you have previously written for whom we can contact -- this person **will** be contacted. Only successful shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Deadline for applications is September 30. Shortlisted candidates will be required to complete fresh writing samples, which will take around a half-day.

#9 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,782

Posted by chinarocks on 31/8/2015 at 04:49

I'd hire him, he's got balls.

#10 chinarocks has been a member since 17/6/2011. Posts: 738

Posted by travelingjoker on 10/9/2015 at 10:11

Nice. I love the way you put that "salary" up there like it is a selling point. **** off. Do you know what rents go for in the real world? maybe you should buy one of those newspapers your forever saying are dying to check the rates as your pay wouldn't cover my rent. Why write for exposure when you can write for travelfish right?

I know my ****, I value my time and the above are the only words I will ever write for you, because you, not the others you fling steaming turds at, are the true parasites of travel.

#11 travelingjoker has been a member since 10/9/2015. Posts: 1

Posted by exacto on 10/9/2015 at 11:02

That was fun. I'm guessing joker didn't get the job? Hopefully this person is not a native speaker of English, because if they are, they need to work on grammar and punctuation, not to mention their people skills. Have a nice day!

#12 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,782

Posted by antoniamitchell on 10/9/2015 at 14:22

Not only that, Exacto, but he clearly didn't research the company or job before he got on his high horse. TF policy is that writers live in the region, and $2500 AUS a month goes quite a long way in most of SE Asia. It might not pay for a high-faluting expat lifestyle, but it would certainly cover normal rent and living costs (and the fact that he didn't know that rather implies that he doesn't know the region well - perhaps another reason he didn't get the job?)

#13 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 554
 Send antoniamitchell a private message   Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Posted by exacto on 10/9/2015 at 16:35

@antonia: Interesting, isn't it. At least you and I seem to think this would be a great opportunity. Granted, the base pay is about one-third what I make here in the states, but expenses, taxes, etc. would be lower. Plus, there is the modest per diem, and I love the idea of getting paid to be back in SEA. There is nothing unappealing about the job announcement to me, and if another one comes up after my current job contract is completed, I'll be applying for sure. Regards.

#14 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,782

Posted by somtam2000 on 10/9/2015 at 21:45 admin

As our new member above signed up under a disposable email address, I'm not sure if they'll be applying, but applications are still open!

Colourful imagery.

#15 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,021

Posted by broery on 10/9/2015 at 22:42

Hi All,

If U guys r commenting on my applications, I am NOT applying. Because they cant afford me and I cant do it full time as they require.
What I'm saying instead is, I could be their consultant to verify these write-ups or proof read these articles.
I have a wonderful career ( as a professional building consultant) and my allegience are to my paying clients. But travelling ( and music ) have always been a hobby and passion. If only I can forget about the daily chores and just fly to these places, I would, but for now it remains as a wonderful fantasy.

#16 broery has been a member since 30/8/2015. Posts: 3

Posted by somtam2000 on 10/9/2015 at 23:02 admin

Hi broery,

No, not commenting on your post, rather the one by travelingjoker above.

Cheers!

#17 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,021

Posted by broery on 10/9/2015 at 23:32

Cheers, No worries Mate,

Travelling has taught us to be humble, colorless ( racially), appreciative of what we have and the peace in our own backyard ( for me Malaysia).

Thank God, I've seen and been to most places I wanted to. These days, if there r no urgent business matters requiring my personal attention, I could just fly off anywhere ( for a span of 5-10 days).

Just came back from Tokyo ( last month, stayed in capsule hotel, while family stayed in 5* hotel :-) and Bandung ( again, last weekend).
Next stop, Tehran, Iran...this wld be wonderful.
Still in my periscope, St Petersburg.& Moscow, Latvia and Estonia ( perhaps no big deal) and Uzbekistan. My Turkish friend ( who's a Turmen actually, and speaks fluent Russian, Turkish, Turkmen and english) inviting me to explore Georgia, Turmenistan and Azerbaijan.

Wonderful world indeed.

Insyallah, someday...

BROERY

#18 broery has been a member since 30/8/2015. Posts: 3

Posted by somtam2000 on 22/9/2015 at 04:09 admin

Just bumping this back up as applications close a week today.

Cheers

#19 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,021

Posted by Gogomobile on 23/9/2015 at 20:28

Joker,

What is a 'good traveller' then? Your angry rant is hilarious.

#20 Gogomobile has been a member since 14/4/2015. Posts: 412

Posted by somtam2000 on 29/9/2015 at 18:06 admin

A bunch of applications in overnight - must be because they know applications close for this position sunset today Bali time. So bumping this for the last time -- if you'd like to come work with us and spend two years on the road in Indonesia and Malaysia, the clock is ticking.

No application obviously from travelingjoker - weird.

Cheers!

#21 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,021

Posted by somtam2000 on 30/9/2015 at 19:36 admin

Applications have now closed -- thank you everyone who took the time to apply.

We'll be following up with short-listed candidates by October 12.

#22 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,021

Posted by ChickenMaan on 12/10/2015 at 12:37

Oh no ! just saw this and no I didn't get any email today from you guys. Unfortunately ...

#23 ChickenMaan has been a member since 12/10/2015. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 13/10/2015 at 01:55 admin

We've not contacted anyone yet. Still going through them. Should be in touch with all tomorrow.

#24 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,021

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.