Photo: A walk in the fields near Tetebatu, Lombok.

About us forum

Duplicate accounts

Posted by somtam2000 on 9/11/2016 at 23:50 admin

Hey everyone,

Just a bit of house-keeping.

In the old site it was possible for people to start multiple accounts with the single email address. This was a loophole of sorts, which was closed in the redesign at the end of last year.

Because of some upcoming changes to the site, we needed to disable these duplicate accounts. In 99.9% of cases the duplicates were related to spammers, but in some cases members have had multiple accounts under the same address. These duplicates are now being disabled.

With around 4,000 emails that have multiple accounts (so about 15,000 usernames give or take - like I said, nearly all spammers), this is a bit of an undertaking – but is provided a useful distraction from the US election!

The approach we are taking is:
a) We're selecting all the accounts that have duplicates
b) Sorting these by forum posts (as an indicator or activity)
c) We're leaving the account with the most forum posts active and disabling any other accounts. The member preference is often obvious: 600 posts on one account, 3 posts on the other – so I am disabling the latter, 3 post account.

I expect this will impact on under 50 people – but for those effected, if you try and login with an account that I have disabled, you will get a message saying the account has been banned.

So, if you would prefer to use one of the accounts I have closed, please contact me and I can shuffle them around to your preference – but, moving forward, every member will only be able to have one active username associated with one email address.

Apologies in advance for any inconvenience.

Questions, let me know!

#1 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,021
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.