Photo: A walk in the fields near Tetebatu, Lombok.

About us forum

Paid membership etc

Posted by somtam2000 on 5/8/2018 at 03:05 admin

I was pointed to a thread over on the LP Thorntree about how Travelfish now costs $35 to join and I thought was appropriate to report my post here.

Hi all,

Realise this is an old thread, but was just pointed to it and thought would just clarify the situation.

Travelfish membership for all new members is now A$35 per year. For that the main points of value are:

a) Access to the 250+ PDF guides (essentially PDFs which largely replicate the site content on a per destination basis)
b) Ability to post on the forum
c) Access to paywalled content (this is new as of one week, about 10% of the site is now hard-paywalled)
d) Some discount stuff
e) You help to keep us in business

History:
The site was originally 100% free from 2004 onwards.

We then moved to a partial subscription model in 2016 where basic membership was free, but you needed to upgrade (costing $35) to access the PDFs and get the discount.

In 2017, we closed off the free membership, meaning the only way to join was to pay the annual fee.

One point to clarify is once you’re a member, you never lose access to the forum and main site, but, after 12 months, the access to the PDFs is cut off—meaning you only need to renew if you need the PDFs. There are no auto renewals or anything like that. Existing members were all grandfathered into this—this was done because when they signed up, the site was free, and I didn’t want to shift the goalposts on a base membership feature like that.

As to if it is worth it, well, that’s up to the individual I guess and I don’t think here is the most appropriate place for me to flog my wares!

Yes, there are probably spots all over the site that mention free membership—my apologies for the confusion and that is my responsibility to fix, which I'll be off to do right after I post this message.

Happy to answer questions (here or there, as I'll post this post (with a bit more info) on TF too).

Cheers

Stuart

Cofounder Travelfish.org

Any questions, let me know, happy to answer.

Cheers

#1 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,972
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by somtam2000 on 5/8/2018 at 03:27 admin

I should add to this, that unlike many travel websites, there is no third-party tracking going on on Travelfish—as the saying goes, “If something is free, ‘you’ are the product”.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,972
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.