Photo: A walk in the fields near Tetebatu, Lombok.

About us forum

How do I: Add HTML formatting to my posts?

Posted by somtam2000 on 15/8/2009 at 07:05 admin

If you'd like to format your posts to make them easier (or more difficult) to read, then once you pass a posting threshold you're able to make use of BBCode to format your posts.

The threshold is quite low, once you've passed it you'll see a note just below the box that you type your posts in reading:

"As you've made X posts, BB code is enabled"

So, you're in business. There are some examples of most of the code below, but please bear in mind that it can get messy if you don't format the code right, and as there isn't an edit function (yet) I'd prefer not to spend my time editing miss-formatted posts! So perhaps stick with the simple ones till you're comfortable using it...

Simple formatting

[b]Make it bold[/b]: Make it bold

[i]Make it italicised[/i]: Make it italicised

[u]Underline it[/u]: Underline it

[color=red]Red text[/color] or [color=#FF0000]Red text[/color]: Red text

[size=24]Bigger please[/size]: Bigger please

[quote]I love Thailand[/quote]: I love Thailand

Links

Note that with links, if you just paste the link in with no formatting, it will automatically be linked (assumming you're past the threshold).

[url]http://www.travelfish.org[/url]: http://www.travelfish.org
[url=http://www.travelfish.org]Visit Travelfish[/url]: Visit Travelfish

Lists

These get messy fast -- please only use these if you know what you're doing!

[list]
[*]fried rice
[*]friend noodles
[*]larb
[/list]:
  1. fried rice
  2. fried noodles
  3. larb

[list=a]
[*]fried rice
[*]fried noodles
[*]larb
[/list]:
  1. fried rice
  2. fried noodles
  3. larb

#1 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Rohan on 15/8/2009 at 08:42

And what is the value of X?

#2 Rohan has been a member since 16/6/2009. Posts: 63

Posted by Captain_Bob on 15/8/2009 at 08:54

Currently you have to make 12 posts to get access to the above formatting. Thank you Stuart!

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Posted by Rohan on 15/8/2009 at 09:04

I have more than 12 posts, but no note appears at the bottom of the box about BB. Sontam, if this is underlined then there is a problem with the message coming up. If not, just means I need more posts.

#4 Rohan has been a member since 16/6/2009. Posts: 63

Posted by somtam2000 on 15/8/2009 at 09:35 admin

Hi Rohan,

That's fixed - thanks.

#5 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by SBE on 16/8/2009 at 16:16

There's no note at the bottom on my screen either that I can see. Maybe I haven't done enough posts either. ;-)

I don't think my old wine enhanced brain is clever enough to remember all that special punctuation without having to read the instructions every time.

Even then it would probably take me an hour to work out what to do and if I got it wrong it would come up like gobbledygook and I wouldn't be able to edit it because we haven't got an edit button!!!

Anyway I'm gonna test it now and see if even I can do it.

bolditalicsunderlinebluebigger

What is the point of the quote mark one? I can do quote marks already by hitting the " key on my keyboard. A quote function that clearly differentiates quoted text from the rest of the post would be cool though. If not then italics might do I suppose.

How do you do bold italic underlined caps in red like Bruce does...or would you rather people didn't know? ;-)

#6 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,037
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Posted by SBE on 16/8/2009 at 16:17

Gosh it works!

#7 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,037

Posted by Rohan on 16/8/2009 at 17:12

SOMETHING LIKE THIS I WOULD GUESS

#8 Rohan has been a member since 16/6/2009. Posts: 63

Posted by somtam2000 on 16/8/2009 at 17:33 admin

As per Rohan, you nest the tags. So to make something in bold, italics and at size 24, you put the sets of tags within one another

So:

Weather steamy

Which in the code is:
[b][i][size=24]Weather steamy[/size][/i][/b]

#9 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706

Posted by SBE on 16/8/2009 at 18:39

I can see "bb code enabled" under the reply box when I start a topic but not when I reply to one. Is that intentional?

Also I still had to C&P the code off this thread just now when I posted. Can't we have the code at the bottom of the page too so we can do it more easily?

#10 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,037

Posted by BruceMoon on 25/8/2009 at 05:41

Hello...

To those that want colour, the long list code is unnecessary. Rather, one just writes color=red (or whatever) in square brackets.

The standard simple colors are:

color aqua
color black
color blue
color fuchsia
color gray
color green
color lime
color maroon
color navy
color olive
color purple
color red
color silver
color teal
color yellow

Aside from the standard simple colours, there are also a host of 'complex' colours.

All the various writing colours are (from here .

All the possible writing codes are here .

And, the emoticons are here but they don't appear to work on Travelfish.

Cheers

#11 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.