Photo: A walk in the fields near Tetebatu, Lombok.

About us forum

Changed signature link policy at Travelfish

Posted by somtam2000 on 8/9/2009 at 09:43 admin

Just a quick note to advise we have altered our signature links policy at Travelfish. In the past, anyone could add a link to a website in their "signature", which meant it showed up at the base of all their forum posts. Our only requirement was that the site had a link back to us.

The new policy is as follows: Links to non-commercial websites are welcome. So if you're got your own travel blog or information website that you'd like to link to, then that is fine. A link back to Travelfish is NOT required -- though it is always appreciated. Having Google Adsense or any other advertising doesn't make your site commercial in our eyes, but, if you've got more ads than text, we probably won't allow it. If you're not sure, ask.

Links to commercial websites are no longer allowed unless you have cleared the link with us personallyy

In particular, travel agency and hotel websites are not permitted in member signatures and will be removed.

We have made this change mainly because we have seen an increase in travel agencies answering questions on the forum as a means to dish up business and we want to knock the practice on the head. If a travel agent wants to answer questions, they're more than welcome to, but not as a way of selling their products.

If you've a question about this policy, let me know, but the final decision on whether a site link will be allowed is up to the administrator (me!).

#1 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Puggles on 1/10/2009 at 08:16

I am not sure if my link is allowable. Can you please advise.

#2 Puggles has been a member since 31/8/2009. Location: Australia. Posts: 59

Posted by somtam2000 on 1/10/2009 at 08:57 admin

Puggles: Yup that's no prob - tks.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by asiatraveler on 16/1/2013 at 03:41

Hi somtam2000,
I have put a travel website link as a signature in my profile.
Can you please tell me that, i can use this type of link in signature or not ?

#4 asiatraveler has been a member since 16/1/2013. Location: India. Posts: 3

Posted by somtam2000 on 16/1/2013 at 03:53 admin

@asiatraveler no - that's a commercial link and is not permitted. Can you remove it please.

#5 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710

Posted by asiatraveler on 16/1/2013 at 04:00

ok, i am removing it.
Can you please explain more about your this line- So if you're got your own travel blog or information website that you'd like to link to, then that is fine.

#6 asiatraveler has been a member since 16/1/2013. Location: India. Posts: 3

Posted by asiatraveler on 16/1/2013 at 04:10

What will you say about mandylinda's post in this thread ? There is a link in signature. Is it not a commercial link ?
https://www.travelfish.org/board/post/singapore/3726_3--possibly-4--days-in-singapore

#7 asiatraveler has been a member since 16/1/2013. Location: India. Posts: 3

Posted by somtam2000 on 16/1/2013 at 04:30 admin

It is spam, has been deleted and the poster banned. Thanks for pointing it out. There is another dodgy one in that thread as well which I'll remove when I get home.

Regards your other question, This page is quite old. We just settled on new guidelines which you can see here:

https://www.travelfish.org/board/post/aboutus/20619_travelfish-forum-usage-guidelines---request-for-comment

They're far more detailed and I hope clarify why we wouldn't permit the link you supplied, but if more questions, happy to answer.

Cheers

#8 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710

Posted by kenax on 14/5/2015 at 00:31

Hi, would my link be okay?
http://www.islandhoppinginthephilippines.com/
I'm helping bring in tourists to more remote areas, coordinating with boat operators, and I'm also building my own kitesurfing eco-resort out of bamboo.

Thank you, Karel

#9 kenax has been a member since 19/12/2012. Posts: 1
 Send kenax a private message   Website 

Posted by augustus01 on 6/10/2015 at 22:47

Can put back my signature link? It is not a travel agency.

#10 augustus01 has been a member since 28/9/2015. Location: Philippines. Posts: 4
 Send augustus01 a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.