Photo: Getting ready to dive near Komodo National Park.

Scuba diving in Asia forum

Learn to dive Thailand/Cambodia in September

Posted by lainey on 3/7/2011 at 21:17

Hi

I'm trying to decide where to learn to dive, in either Thailand or Cambodia. I'll be there in the wet season unfortunately (6 to 12 September). Does anyone have any suggestions, taking into account the season?

In Thailand I've been looking at Koh Tao, Ko Pha Ngan and Krabi (and surrounding beaches, including Ao Phang Nga and Hat Phra Nang / Railay). I've been told that Khao Lak, Ko Mak and Ko Ngai are beautiful too.

I'm having trouble working out where I can get PADI certified and where is the best for the season.

Cambodia is an alternative option.

Thanks.

#1 lainey has been a member since 3/7/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by cybervlad on 8/7/2011 at 16:20

Hi!
Regarding Thailand, I'd recommend to look at Koh Tao. First of all, it is located in the Gulf of Thailand, where weather is quite better than on Andaman coast at that time (September). See: https://www.travelfish.org/weather_fish.php
Second "pro": Koh Tao is a "diver's island" with many diveshops, so you can make a better choice [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

#2 cybervlad has been a member since 6/6/2007. Location: Thailand. Posts: 182
 Website 

Posted by mikethediver on 11/7/2011 at 09:27

Hi,
I'd stick with Koh Tao. Has to be the cheapest place to learn to dive and you will be with many other divers.
Couldn't recommend learning to dive in Cambodia at that time of year.

#3 mikethediver has been a member since 23/3/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 206
 Website 

Posted by inspiredbykrissi on 18/12/2011 at 06:49

It has to be Thailand.

#4 inspiredbykrissi has been a member since 9/12/2011. Posts: 68
 Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.