Photo: Getting ready to dive near Komodo National Park.

Scuba diving in Asia forum

Vietnam in October

Posted by Lodestar on 26/9/2009 at 23:16

Hi!

Looking for some advice on dive spots in Vietnam in October. Where would you go? And why?

Right now torn between Phu Quoc and the Cham island. Also was considering Nha Trang, but the overall scenery is in my opinion inferior to the first two, as we are also looking for some chill time in a hammock under a palm tree between or after dives, then would prefer something less built up and more natural. Location wise would prefer Cham, as we are going to Hoi An anyways, we are short on time and going to PQ would take quite a bit, if we don't wanna fly. But diving wise, which would you recommend Cham or PQ? Where are your best experiences from? Any tips and ideas are welcome!

Now the problem is with the time of year, as i understand that October is quite borderline in Vietnam. Can anybody tell me, if the fact that it is raining means that dives are still happening, ust with worse visibility, or does it mean that the boats don't go out at all and nothing happens?

Any suggestions you can give me about diving in Vietnam in October would be extremely appreciated!
Thanks
L.

#1 Lodestar has been a member since 7/9/2009. Posts: 19

Posted by Pablot on 27/9/2009 at 17:01

Forget Cham Islands in October. Everyone in the diving & snorkelling pack up end of August. Season seems to be May - August.

#2 Pablot has been a member since 4/5/2009. Posts: 102

Posted by Lodestar on 28/9/2009 at 17:39

DAMN! just read the same on the cham island diving web-page. that the trips only take place march-september. that really screws up some of our plans. Do you maybe have any other suggestions then???

any info is highly appreciated!
L.

#3 Lodestar has been a member since 7/9/2009. Posts: 19

Posted by KazAussie on 29/9/2009 at 14:24

Don't know from personal experience but the advice I have had is that anywhere on the east coast is no good in that period (I too wanted to dive cham island). Phu Quoc is supposed to be good because it is in the Gulf of Thailand.

We are travelling early December to early Jan, and so have decided to go to Phu Quoc, get a dive in there and then leave the hoi an bit until about New Years, if we do manage a dive of Hoi An then well and good, but otherwise we will have had our dive in Phu Quoc

#4 KazAussie has been a member since 18/7/2009. Posts: 221

Posted by DLuek on 30/9/2009 at 03:22 TF writer

Considering there's a typhoon hitting the east coast of VN right now, Phu Quoc is probably the only option.

#5 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,173
 Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.