Text page

Brunei

Brunei forum

28 days in South East Asia- Itinerary help !!!

Posted by feral1987 on 28/10/2015 at 14:59

Hey all

Me and 6 of my friends( age group 24-28 ) are planning to travel around south east asia in April 2016. Below is the itinerary i prepared. we only have 28 days and i would like to visit as many places as possible. please review the plan and let me know what to add, delete , change :)

April 25th- land in Singapore at 8:30 am
April 26th - In Singapore
April 27th - In Singapore
April 28th - Depart Singapore to Hanoi at 10:00 am ( thus spending 3 full days in Singapore )
April 28th - Land in Hanoi at 12:30 pm
April 29th - In Hanoi
April 30th - In Hanoi
May 1st - Depart Hanoi to Bangkok at 12:25 pm ( thus spending 2 full day and 2 half days in Hanoi )
May 1st - Land in Bangkok at 2:15 pm
May 2nd - Depart Bangkok to Phuket at 10:00 pm (thus spending 1 half day and 1 full day in Bangkok )
May 2nd - Land in Phuket at 11:00 pm
May 3rd - In Phuket
May 4th - In Phuket
May 5th - Depart Phuket to Chiang Mai at 2:15 pm (thus spending 2 full days and 1 half day in Phuket)
May 5th - Land in Chiang Mai at 4:40 pm
May 6th - In Chiang Mai
May 7th - Depart Chiang Mai to Bangkok at 12:00 pm (thus spending 1 full day and 1 half day and 1 evening in Chiang Mai )
May 7th - Land in Bangkok at 1:30 pm
May 8th - Depart from Bangkok to Siem Reap at 8 am by bus ( thus spending half day again in Bangkok )
May 8th - Reach Siem Reap by 6 pm
May 9th - In Siem Reap
May 10th - In Siem Reap
May 11th - Depart Siem Reap by 8am( thus spending 2 full days in Siem Reap )
May 11th - Reach Bangkok by 6 pm
May 12th - Depart Bangkok to Bali at 11:50 am ( thus spending a total of 2 half days, 1 full and 1 evening in Bangkok )
May 12th - Land in Bali at 5:00 pm
May 13th - In Bali
May 14th - In Bali
May 15th - Depart Bali to Kuala Lampur at 6 am ( thus spending 2 full days and 1 evening in Bali )
May 15th - Land in Kuala Lampur at 9am
May 16th - In Kuala Lampur
May 17th - Depart Kuala Lampur to HongKong at 5:00 pm (thus spending 2 full day and 1 half day in Kuala Lampur )
May 17th - Land in Hong Kong at 8:30 pm
May 18th - In Hong Kong
May 19th - In Hong Kong
May 20th - Depart Hongkong back to Kuala Lampur at 9:00 pm ( thus spending 2 full days, 1 half day and 1 evening in Hong Kong )
May 21st - Land in Kuala Lampur at 1:00 AM
May 22nd - Flight back home at 6 AM ( thus spending a total of 2 full days in Kuala Lampur )

what do you think >>>

regards
Amit

#1 feral1987 has been a member since 28/10/2015. Posts: 4

Posted by exacto on 28/10/2015 at 15:24

Is this for real? I think this itinerary would be considered punishment for shoplifting in some countries. You are spending more than half of your holiday on airplanes, in airports, and getting to and from airports. And I think you are dramatically underestimating the time it takes to go through customs and immigration and fight through traffic to get to your hotel, the need to arrive early back at the airport for flights, and flight and other delays. If your goal is to visit as many airports as you can, this is an awesome plan. But if you intend to have any fun, I'd cut back to three or four places max and spend my time exploring those cities and relaxing. Seriously. Slow down.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,814

Posted by antoniamitchell on 31/10/2015 at 05:27

Yeah, what Exacto said.

For example, on 1 May you plan on catching a 12:25 flight out of Hanoi, and list that as being equivalent to half a day in Hanoi. Not really, as you'll need at least a couple of hours to get to the airport and go through check-in/security. Similarly to when you arrive in HK at 8:30pm, you've listed that as 1 evening in HK. By the time you've deplaned, gone through immigration, possibly waited for luggage, and gotten a taxi or train into town and then checked into your hotel, it's probably going to be 10:30pm.

Not only is it a tour of airports, it's also a tour of big, westernised cities, for the most part. HK is like every Chinatown you've ever been to, but on steroids. Singapore is very Westernised. Bangkok and KL are also both (superficially at least) quite similar to Western cities. It's shopping malls, diesel buses, mass transit trains, convenience stores on every corner, traffic, pollution, etc. There's great things, too - the street food for one. But the point I'm trying to make is: they won't feel that different from what you're used to back home, or to other places you've visited (at least not on the superficial level, which is all anyone gets in a couple of days), and the experience can be a bit samey.

So I'd recommend spending less time in the big cities and more time travelling outside the cities, to the smaller places, the countryside, the provincial towns. If you visit a wider range of types of places, you'll experience a wider range of Asia.

But getting out of the big cities takes time - you won't be able to conveniently get back on a plane 2 days later.

So, for example, you could do something like this (assuming your main flights to and from Asia are already booked):

Singapore - 25-27 Apr (deliberately kept quite short because Singapore is expensive, but could easily stay much longer)

Move by bus into Malaysia, and work your way up to KL, stopping 1-2 smaller places en-route (and remembering that each time you move on, you lose at least half a day - sometimes a whole day - to travel) - 28 Apr to 5 or 6 May (8-9 days).

Fly to somewhere in peninsular Thailand - 6 or 7 May (I'm assuming you've got your heart set on Phuket ). Spend 4-5 days where you land, then work your way up to Bangkok. This is a long stretch of land, with plenty of interesting smaller towns to potentially visit, like Prachuap Khiri Khan, Phetchaburi, and probably loads more I know nothing about, so I'd pick one of them to break up your journey up to Bangkok and see more of Thai life. Finish in Bangkok with possibly time for a day trip to someplace like Ayutheya, then fly back KL on 21 May for your home flight (15-16 days).

Or you could skip the long bus journeys from Phuket to Bangkok and fly straight to Bangkok, and then have tome to visit one place in Central or Northern Thailand after BKK instead - there are dozens of quality contenders.

28 days really isn't that long, so I'd strongly recommend that you cut down your plan a LOT (I'll normally try and limit myself to 6-7 places in that amount of time). Even the rough idea I sketched out above is still quite a lot of moving about, and probably half the travellers on this board will still be thinking "that's too much - with only 28 days stick to 1 country!"

Good luck, and have fun!

#3 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 566

Posted by Gogomobile on 31/10/2015 at 06:01

Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Siem Reap and thai islands is enough.

Skip the other places.

#4 Gogomobile has been a member since 14/4/2015. Posts: 412

Posted by feral1987 on 2/11/2015 at 14:04

Hi Exacto...thank you for your reply. it actually made me and my friends laugh. ;) i will take your advice !

Hello Antoniamitc, thank you for your detailed reply.

So i have worked on the itinerary and re modeled the one below

Malayais, Cambodia, Thailand and Singapore ( in order )

7 days in each country

what do you guys think??

regards
Amit

#5 feral1987 has been a member since 28/10/2015. Posts: 4

Posted by MADMAC on 2/11/2015 at 23:44

Feral
It's hard to advise because we don't know much about your group and it's desires. Normally most people would consider 28 days a little short on time for one country, but doable. Four countries? They'll be a blur. A month after you get home you'll be looking at pictures saying "Was this in Thailand or Malaysia?" Bangkok, Siem Reap , PP, Trat might make some real sense. That's two counteies on a single axis of travel.

Also, not sure what you expense account is. But if Daddy isn't Donald Trump then you are talking a fair amount blown just on air fare and visa fees. Bagnkok has a lot to see and do - easily a week to scrape the surface there. PP is one of my favorites - fun city in which you can also get a dose of historical reality by going to Tuol Sleng if you think you are up for it. The faces of that place still haunt me today. Siem Reap is considered by many a must see. Beach time around Trat should be perfect the chill counter-point.

Exacto and Antonia are right - SLOW WAY down. You'll be glad you did.

#6 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by JAM3 on 3/11/2015 at 13:59

My family did a three week trip to Southeast Asia in September. The one observation after it all is that we wished we had spent more time in the countryside in less developed places. One of our best experiences was hiking in Sapa (northern Vietnam) and spending the day with Black Hmong women/girls. I love the cities but you seem to have more contact with local people when you are in the countryside.

#7 JAM3 has been a member since 3/11/2015. Posts: 4

Posted by altmtl on 6/11/2015 at 08:19

Way too much, why not spend just spend the 28 days in one country and get to know it better than jet setting around...

#8 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,003

Posted by feral1987 on 8/11/2015 at 14:03

Thanks for all the advice. but i strongly believe me and my group will be ok with 7 days in each country..we have done many tight schedule trips before and we actually did enjoy the times. as long as we all are together its always fun, may it be in the country side, city or even inside a train or plane. also, most of the people in the group have previously visited the countries as solo travelers and with families. so the excitement to see something new is only 70% but the fact that we all friends are going to have a crazy trip is what we are waiting for :D . i really appreciate all the effort taken by the members to post their reply. Cheers !!!! and we also have a budget so we don't want to stay longer and cause that much expense in accommodation and food too !

i hope i will have a great story to share with you all !!

-amit

#9 feral1987 has been a member since 28/10/2015. Posts: 4

Posted by exacto on 8/11/2015 at 15:03

Amit,
I think seven days in Malaysia and Cambodia will be fine. You might want to spend a few more days in Thailand, and a few less in Singapore, however. Singapore just isn't that big, and is more expensive than the other locations you mention.
In any case, I hope you and your friends have a great time. Let us know if there is anything you particularly enjoy or anything you'd suggest to others once you are done. Cheers.

#10 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,814

Posted by Captain_Bob on 20/11/2015 at 06:54

Agree with others, it is WAY too rushed trying to pack in too many places and mostly seeing/getting to/from airports and checking in/out of hotels (7 people, i.e. 3 adjacent rooms if lucky). Also, what's this doing on the Brunei branch?

#11 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,955

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.