Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Yangon to Bagan

Posted by babiguling on 19/4/2010 at 16:34

I'm planning on going to Burma for around six days in June just to see Bagan. With this amount of time, what is the best way to get from Yangon to Bagan? I've heard the train takes a whole day, is it practical to fly? I haven't been able to find airline prices for a flight from Yangon to Bagan. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

#1 babiguling has been a member since 13/4/2010. Posts: 12

Posted by Tilapia on 19/4/2010 at 18:50

You'll have to fly. There is no train to Bagan. The train goes to Mandalay, which would mean another 10-12 (or longer) trip to Bagan by land or boat.

Air Mandalay
Myanmar Airline / Air Bagan

#2 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,508
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by kkym on 23/4/2010 at 18:31

Direct train just started. It is daily.
Yangon - Bagan ( ETD 4 pm - ETA 8 am )
Bagan - Yangon ( ETD 8:30 am - ETA 4:30 am )
Three different classes. First class 30 USDpp , upper class 40 USDpp and 50 USDpp for sleeper.
But June set as low season and the flights are cheaper. Will cost you about 70 USD. Recommend to fly.

#3 kkym has been a member since 6/4/2010. Location: Myanmar / Burma. Posts: 25

Posted by idreamofdurian on 23/4/2010 at 23:33 TF writer

I second flying. I took a bus from Yangon to Mandalay, then the train to Bagan and it wasn't fun. Flew back from Bangan to Yangon for the flight home, and it was affordable and easy. A couple travel agencies in Bagan will even take credit cards for flights.

#4 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Send idreamofdurian a private message   Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by babiguling on 24/4/2010 at 00:37

Thanks for the help. Any suggestions on which airline to use, I've read that some have dodgy safety records?

#5 babiguling has been a member since 13/4/2010. Posts: 12

Posted by Tilapia on 24/4/2010 at 05:11

See my response from earlier.

#6 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,508
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by heleni on 5/5/2010 at 02:50

Have a look at Air Mandalay and Yangon Airways.
Most travel agents will be happy to pre-book tickets and let you pay on arrival.
I did 3 internal flights. It just saves so much time. I also did some long taxi and bus rides and a train journey up to Hsipaw. So plenty of options!

Have an amazing time!

#7 heleni has been a member since 3/5/2010. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 21
 Send heleni a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.