Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Crash Course Burma: What you Need to Know Before you Go

Posted by legalnomads on 25/4/2010 at 11:59

Hey everyone! I just put up a 'before you go' blog post about travel to Burma (Myanmar), including visa overstays, approx. costs, food, what to bring and some recommended readings.

For those who are interested, the
Burma post is here

Hope it is helpful! I will be posting much more about the food, transportation adventures (of which there are MANY) and sights in coming weeks.

-Jodi

#1 legalnomads has been a member since 30/10/2009. Posts: 31
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by SBE on 25/4/2010 at 14:20

Excellent write up Jodi and very useful for anyone planning to go to Burma. It's five years since I was there but everything you say seems absolutely spot on.

The only thing I'd disagree with is the comment about the food being cheap and delicious.... cheap yes, but not always delicious! However friends who went there disagreed with me too so maybe I just didn't eat at the right places. Even so, unless things have changed, I'll be taking some decent coffee with me next time. (Do GHs still only have that awful 3-in-1 stuff?)

#2 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,020
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by Tilapia on 25/4/2010 at 22:38

I kind of liked that 3-in-1 stuff and spent the rest of my kyat on about 50 packages of it before leaving the country. Was happy to see it in Thailand, too.

But, like Coke, Pepsi, and bottled water, I only drink the stuff when I'm away from home.

Good blog.

#3 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,499
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by legalnomads on 28/4/2010 at 12:57

Thanks for the feedback! I met many people who found the food lacking, and there is no question that a country sandwiched between some of the tastier national cuisines on earth should have some better options. But the curries aside, I found the food an endless delight to explore, and the mountains of spices in the markets a great source of learning. To each his own, definitely!

I plan on posting about soup in my next Burma post, so stay tuned!

thanks for reading.
Jodi

#4 legalnomads has been a member since 30/10/2009. Posts: 31
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by CunningMcFar on 29/4/2010 at 00:33

well done! thanks for the info, we're planning a trip out Nov/Dec this year

(ps, Johnny Vagabond Wes is an old friend of ours, glad to see the bloggers meeting up!)

#5 CunningMcFar has been a member since 20/8/2004. Posts: 163
 Where has CunningMcFar been? 

Posted by linjingyi on 30/4/2010 at 23:23

Thank you for taking the time to write the post! I'm going there in June so the information really came in handy! (:

#6 linjingyi has been a member since 26/10/2009. Posts: 7

Posted by legalnomads on 1/5/2010 at 13:18

Hey everyone. I just updated my site to do a full post on soup in Burma - I have a food 'problem' (i.e. I am obsessed with it) so I tried all the soups I could! It's Always Soup O'Clock in Burma

CunningMcFar: It was great to meet Wes in person - he's a great guy!

Thanks for reading, all!
Jodi

#7 legalnomads has been a member since 30/10/2009. Posts: 31
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by Tilapia on 1/5/2010 at 21:52

Ou nou khao-swey was, perhaps, one of the best soups I've ever eaten. It was my breakfast of choice, when available.

Several years later a Nepalese friend, who had recently moved to Toronto, made it for me. His father was the Nepalese ambassador to Burma and he'd lived there for quite a while in the '70's and learned how to make a bunch of Burmese dishes. Lucky for me he remembered.

#8 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,499
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by legalnomads on 11/5/2010 at 23:44

Hi everyone - my upcoming Burma posts will be on the new & improved (non Blogspot) Legal Nomads: http://www.legalnomads.com/. If you're interested, please check out that instead of the old blog. Thanks!

#9 legalnomads has been a member since 30/10/2009. Posts: 31
 Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.