Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Getting USD in Bangkok for Burma

Posted by backpackermatt on 15/9/2010 at 01:47

What is the easiest way to obtain clean USD in Bangkok right before I fly to Yangon?

#1 backpackermatt has been a member since 15/9/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by exacto on 15/9/2010 at 02:08

hey matt,

i'm guessing you are already in Thailand, so bringing them with you from home isn't an option anymore. if you'll be in Cambodia before you head to Burma, the ATMs there distribute clean US dollars. otherwise, i imagine any Thai bank will be able to trade Thai baht for US dollars for you. that's pretty much what the locals do when they need foreign exchange too. unfortunately, the rate won't be the best, but it shouldn't be too awful. cheers.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,651
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by backpackermatt on 15/9/2010 at 08:41

I'm still at home so I have some options I guess. My trip starts in Singapore and I don't want to carry all that cash with me for a month beforehand. Could I cash travelers checks into USD?

#3 backpackermatt has been a member since 15/9/2010. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.