Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Wonderings on budget and USDs

Posted by jackymoon on 27/10/2010 at 01:54

I was wondering what to budget for a month in Burma. It has been confusing trying to figure out. Also, I understand it is necessary to bring all the money along in USD. Is it possible to withdraw USD from a bank in Bangkok?

Thanks all!

#1 jackymoon has been a member since 20/10/2010. Posts: 20

Posted by Tilapia on 30/10/2010 at 01:24

You can get U$ in Bangkok. However, during the high tourist season many banks run short because so many people grab it to take with them to Laos and Cambodia. This is particularly true around Khao San Road. Get it early if you can.

Budget depends on what you like to eat, where you like to stay, etc. You going First Class, or backpacker-style?

#2 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,507
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by silverwool on 31/10/2010 at 14:24

US$ has to be in pristine condition. No creases, tears etc. Take US$100 bills as you will want to change them into kyat. Its not an expensive country but I'd take more than you think you'll need.

#3 silverwool has been a member since 8/7/2007. Posts: 7

Posted by mooball on 26/11/2010 at 11:34 TF writer

Definitely take more USD than you think you'll need. I spent $20 per day when I was there earlier this year. That was for buses and trains, basic accommodation shared with one other person and food. It's a very cheap place and it's easy to eat local food and stay in cheap places without feeling as if you're roughing it. Agree with the pristine comment for USD.

#4 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 433
 Send mooball a private message   Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Google+   Instagram 

Posted by SBE on 3/12/2010 at 10:25

I got a wad of pristine looking dollars from a money changer on Sukhumvit without any problem yesterday. You have to convert your own currency into baht first and then change into US $$ so you lose on both transactions, but money changers give you slightly better rates than Thai banks do.

Although you'll get a slightly better rate for large denomination US notes in Burma, small denomination notes are far easier to use. People rarely have enough US currency to give you change in dollars and you don't want to be left with huge amounts of kyat to change back into hard currency at the end of your trip!

#5 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,037
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.