Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

internet in burma (myanmar)

Posted by sarahandclau on 20/12/2006 at 21:47

Posted from within Vietnam.

does anybody know how easy it is to send/receive e-mails in burma?? are there many internetcorners?? i heard that many providers are forbidden, so what would be a good mail address to use???
thanks a lot!!!

#1 sarahandclau has been a member since 15/12/2006. Posts: 2

Posted by andorj on 25/12/2006 at 03:16

Was there in June and sending e-mails was no problem. It cost us about $1.00 to send to one address when we were in Bagan and also in Yangon. Getting on to your email provider may be another problem. Tho we did once get on to Yahoo. Believe it or not it took about 30 minutes for us to log on and also took knowledge of some secret internet address to try and bypass the govt. block. Another problem you will have is unreliable electricity. When we did finally get on Yahoo the electricity went out - get use to it it happens a lot - so you can understand why people don't bother and wait til they return to Thailand to e-mail and send snail mail, too. Whatever happens it is a trip of a lifetime! p.s. try posting on Thorntree they have real experts.

#2 andorj has been a member since 25/12/2006. Posts: 1

Posted by exacto on 28/12/2006 at 11:18

from what i understand, there are internet cafes and they are just as cheap as elsewhere in the region. they are useful for a bit of web surfing, but most of the yahoo and hotmail-based email websites are blocked. there are frequent, even daily workarounds, but like andorj says, it makes everything so slow and painful that it is better to just wait until you are back in thailand or wherever your next stop may be. if you like playing online games, the cafes in burma can at least accomodate that. regards.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,657
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by peaceinBURMAnow on 17/3/2010 at 23:22

I was there in December 2009 and I didn't find internet particularly painful at all. I expected the worst, but it was actually okay! gmail no problem, facebook no problem either. BUT the big problem is the 'screenshots' that governmental-linked internet cafes do sometimes (like, ever 5 minutes? not sure!). to identify government-linked internet cafes is a bit tricky. just don't write anything sticky during your stay

#4 peaceinBURMAnow has been a member since 17/3/2010. Posts: 10

Posted by andyman3000 on 30/4/2011 at 15:02

Posted from within Vietnam.

Internet is very slow in most places. Wifi doesn't exist in any hostel. Sending emails is no problem, but forget getting anything else serious done (like booking flights) unless you are in big cities. Access tends to be faster in the morning. You can get pretty decent connection speeds at "The Castle" internet cafe in Yangon. If you are experiencing problems accessing certain websites, try using https instead of http. This is how you get Gmail working at least.

#5 andyman3000 has been a member since 18/3/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by riverspot on 12/7/2011 at 19:56

No problems with internet - just a bit of patience required from you young things accustomed to huge bandwidth .... the real benefit of a less speedy internet is that it will provide a reason for leaving your Facebook fiddling and getting out and meeting some really friendly people.

#6 riverspot has been a member since 3/1/2008. Posts: 25

Posted by SBE on 13/7/2011 at 02:26

I think it varies. I was in Bagan for 10 days and the internet only worked twice the whole time I was there. Reason: Some VIP general was planning to pay a visit and the internet was apparently considered a "security risk".

Hotmail and Yahoo are difficult. Gmail is usually OK but the best way would probably be to get some less well known email provider. I think it would be far less likely to get blocked by the govt censors...just a hunch. Send the new email addy to your contacts before you go.

#7 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,020
 Where has SBE been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.