Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Open minded for comments on Itinerary! Thanks!

Posted by virgingirl on 5/5/2011 at 23:16

This forum has been a plethora of information for our upcoming trip to Myanmar! We began this as a trip to a little Thailand, a little Laos and a little Myanmar. It is now very little Thailand, lots of Myanmar and hopeful on Laos!

So far, this is what we have planned..
Because we are using miles (Thank you American Airlines!) we do land in Bangkok. We are just going to settle in for 2 days and fly into Yangon. 2 days there, and then flying up to Mandalay, and then Sagaing. From there we thought bikes, but might go for train or other transport to Pwin-oo-lwin and onto Kyaukme and hike around. Maybe 5 nights total. From Kyaukme, train back to Mandalay and again not sure how, but down to Bagan for 3 nights. Bike to Mt. Popa. Flying into Heho to spend 3 nights there. Flying from Heho to Tachileik in hopes of crossing into Thailand and exploring Northern Thailand. From there we are deciding if we have time, and if it will be worth getting into Laos near Chiang Khong (need help here....) and hiking aroung Hong Sa and make our way to Luang Pabrang. Then back to Bangkok, and home sweet home the Virgin Island! We have just less then a month to travel. Thanks to all who pass on information on their past travels. So helpful and we are so looking forward to this beautiful adventure. BTW it was wonderful to go to the Embassy in DC, there were kind and very helpful. Jodie

#1 virgingirl has been a member since 5/5/2011. Posts: 3

Posted by Tilapia on 6/5/2011 at 04:18

Hi Jodie,

That sounds like a great trip. A couple of thoughts ...

Unless things have improved w.r.t. rental bikes, cycling to Popa could result in a very long, very uncomfortable day. All the bikes I used over there were uncomfortable and rickety. If you can get your hands on decent bikes, then you'll be in much better shape than I was.

Take the boat to Bagan. It's a fantastic trip, providing the river isn't too low. Boat travel in Burma is much more comfortable than bus travel. That's my opinion, anyway. And on the topic of travel, expect trips to be much longer than anticipated, and be pleasantly surprised when they are not.

As for Tachileik, check to see if flights are going there, and if the border is going to be open. Tachileik is in the the area that got whacked by the big earthquake that happened last month and from what I understand there was quite a lot of damage.

Good luck.

#2 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,505
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by SBE on 7/5/2011 at 05:10

I didn't think Popa was really worth the effort even going in a taxi! It's very kitsch indeed though the views are quite nice.

#3 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,037
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Posted by kkym on 7/5/2011 at 23:16

There are daily flight to Tachileik but need permission for crossing through.

#4 kkym has been a member since 6/4/2010. Location: Myanmar / Burma. Posts: 25

Posted by virgingirl on 9/5/2011 at 01:22

Thanks for responding, to the above. I did not include that we will also be go to Monywa and Pakokku from Mandalay. Hoping to take the boat from Pakokku to Bagan if we can arrange so. Does anyone know if the Win Unity Resort Hotel in Monywa is a guest house for foreigners? And being the month of October, do we need to reserve any places in advance? Guest houses etc. And lastly does anyone have a recommendation for a travel agent to use? We need help in getting the permit to cross in Tachileik. Thanks again!

#5 virgingirl has been a member since 5/5/2011. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.