Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Advice on Burma - Cash$

Posted by christay2009 on 19/5/2011 at 04:00

Hello There,

I have had a read around the forums and also the recent travelfish article but can't get my head around the money for Burma. In particular, what combination of denominations would people suggest to take?

Lets say I stay for 28 days and budget at $30.00 a day ($840.00). I guess I would need another $100 or $200 spare also, good idea??

If this is the case, I would appreciate any suggest as to how to break that down.

Thanks for your help

#1 christay2009 has been a member since 8/2/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 414

Posted by SBE on 19/5/2011 at 07:03

Yeah, always wise to have a bit of spare extra cash when in Burma because you won't be able to get any more once there! Everyone travels with cash on them but theft doesn't seem to be a big problem...just take the usual precautions.

You get a much better rate for big denomination notes ($100s) but you'll need plenty of crisp clean perfect smaller denomination notes too, to pay for entrance fees, guesthouses, trains etc. Last trip I erred on the side of too many small bills (partly because if any of my big notes weren't pristine enough or got creased etc I'd be up **** creek). As a consequence I lost out on exchange rates but it's also hard to get change in dollars for big notes sometimes. You don't want to be left with no option but to change $100 right at the end of your trip either ... then you'd have to change excess kyats back into hard currency.

Dunno, maybe half in hundreds ...and the other half in smaller notes?

#2 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,019
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by KRStamm on 31/7/2011 at 23:15

All your bills need to be brand new! if they are not new they will not be exchanged. So I would start heading to the banks now and looking at their $100's. Also there are certain serial #s that will not be accepted. (CS is one off the top of my head). If there is a crease, dot, pen mark, fold of any kind they will not exchange your money. Ironing your money wont do- Ive met people who tried. I brought $300 in brand new $300 in 5's and the rest in $100's. Its a pain to get new $$$. Also watch what the people give you back- they may give you Kyat that isnt in circulation anymore. They did just come out with the 5000kyat bill but many places will not have change for it. Its nice to have a few but 1000's are better. I would exchange money in Yangoon at Scott Market (at least 1/2) the exchange rate gets worse the further you are from Yangoon.

#3 KRStamm has been a member since 10/9/2007. Posts: 38

Posted by Tilapia on 2/8/2011 at 23:01

Make sure you've got lots of $5's and $1's, as well, for cabs, ferries, admission fees, etc.

#4 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,495
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.