Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Myanmar--looking for advice on mid-range, cool, friendly accomodations...and other tips! (4/12)

Posted by valerie1213 on 19/2/2012 at 16:01

My partner and I will be in Myanmar for 2-3 weeks in April, and we're seeking advice on all aspects of the trip. If anyone can answer ANY of the following, please do so--we'd love to hear from you.

1. What were your favorite accommodations?
We love simple, clean, spots with private bathrooms--nothing too fancy, but nothing too dingy either (we both did the hostel thing in our 30s and, while that was fun, we're willing to pay a bit more for scenic and clean accommodations). All suggestions welcome!

2. Did you take any great tours or work with any wonderful (privately owned) tour companies.
We want to try spread our tourist dollars around to local folks, to the extent possible. If you took a great tour of any particular site and loved your tour company, please let me know.

3. What did you plan in advance?
We're trying to figure out whether we need to plan accommodations and internal travel in advance.

4. Care to share your itinerary?
We'd love to know where you went!

Thanks!

#1 valerie1213 has been a member since 19/2/2012. Posts: 5

Posted by Royalsithu on 22/2/2012 at 02:22

Hi! valere
1. Most of the hotel are clean and friendly , but most in family run hotel .
For April , it will be difficult to get room , you can'thave a chance to choose the hotel as your wish .
2.There are so many reliable and good freelance tour operator and private owntour company in Myanmar . Here is the contact of good and reliable touroperator http://www.onestop-myanmar.com/tours.html ,operator.onestop@gmail.com , mthsya@gmail.com
3.To get the room and not to waste your time , you should make in advance foryour hotel and air tickets for internal . Nowadays , the hotel prices are goingup and have difficult in room available so , you should try for your trip withlocals to get the low prices . For your internal flight , although you can buythe tickets by yourself before two days your departure date at the air line ,itwill be very expensive than make by travel agent and waste your visited time .So , Try with some local agent or good tour operator for your trip in advance.
NOTE : There is Myanmar New year festival in April , from 12 April to 17 April. At that time , the transportation fees are also going up ( Especially in carand in our big four destinations ) .
4. For travelers to Myanmar for first , they should try in our big four (Yangon , Mandalay , Bagan and Inle ) but there are also some interesting placein Myanmar . Our big four is enough for the first time travelers . So , here issuggestion itinerary
Day 1: Arrival and Yangon
Day 2: Yangon - Bago - Golden rock by car and overnight at the top ofmountain
Day 3: Golden rock - Yangon by car
Day 4: Yangon - Mandalay by flight or overnight bus
Day 5: Mandalay and around ( Amarapura , Sagaing and Inwa )
Day 6: Mandaly to Mingun by boat and leisure at the biggest teak bridge ( UBein's Bridge) with sunset
Day 7:Mandaly - Monywa by car and overnight at Monywa
Day 8: Monywa - Bagan by car
Day 9 : Bagan sightseeing
Day 10 : Bagan Sightseeing ( Note : It will be getting too hot in Bagan inApril )
Day 11:Bagan - Heho by morning flight and proceed heho-Pindaya -Kalaw
Day 12: Kalaw-Inle (trekking ) and overnight at monastery
Day 13: Kalaw-Inle ( Trekking ) and leisure at hotel
Day 14: Inle lake and Indein Sightseeing
Day 15 : Visit Kakku and Taunggyi
Day 16: Heho - Yangon by flight
Day 17: Yangon Sightseeing
Day 18 : Departure
Note: you should have an extra day in Yangon not to miss your internationalflight because Myanmar airlines are not reliable .
If you need any further more information , do not hesitate !
May you have a great time in Myanmar !
with regards,
Royal

#2 Royalsithu has been a member since 15/2/2012. Location: Myanmar / Burma. Posts: 23
 Send Royalsithu a private message 

Posted by SBE on 22/2/2012 at 18:10

Budget accommodation in Yangon can be pretty dingy and is often not in very scenic locations. If you can afford it, try the Alamanda Inn when you're in Yangon. It's relatively pricey (about 50 euros a night I think). I haven't stayed there myself but I met a couple in Indonesia who raved about the place a few months ago and it gets rave reviews on Trip Advisor too. My friends said you'd definitely need to book in advance to get a room there though, so book sooner rather than later if it seems the kind of place you're looking for.

#3 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,037
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.