Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

mai sai extended visa

Posted by plexo on 5/3/2012 at 09:42

Good Day,

I'm looking to get from Chiang Mai to Bagan via Mai Sai crossing and Mandalay Air. Is it possible to get an regular visa at Mai Sai. the only references I've come across are the visa limited to Tachiliek.

Thanks

#1 plexo has been a member since 5/3/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by Royalsithu on 5/3/2012 at 21:19

There is no Directly flight from Chiang Mai to Bagan .....You can't get Visa at Mai Sai .

#2 Royalsithu has been a member since 15/2/2012. Location: Myanmar / Burma. Posts: 23
 Send Royalsithu a private message 

Posted by plexo on 6/3/2012 at 10:25

Royalsithu,

Regarding the visa..thanks. My apologies to the board as I was being lazy and found the info with a little more digging.

As for getting from Chiang Mai to Bagan or Mandalay....what I was looking at was a bus from Chiang Mai to the border at Mai Sai. Cross to Tachiliek and then catch an Air Mandalay flight to Tachiliek=>Mandalay (daily flights per their website).

Assuming Air Mandalay is reliable, and if I had a visa in advance, this route seems maybe easier than Chiang Mai=>Bangkok=>Yangon=>Mandalay.

Anyone done this, or the reverse which might be even easier?

#3 plexo has been a member since 5/3/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by steviej on 7/3/2012 at 04:41

As far as I'm aware you'll be restricted to the immediate area around Mai Sai/Tachiliek up to as far as Keng Tung.

#4 steviej has been a member since 18/3/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 266
 Send steviej a private message   Where has steviej been?   Website 

Posted by Royalsithu on 7/3/2012 at 21:25

Hi! We can't say all of Myanmar airlines are reliable .
If you enter to Myanmar from another place ( expect Yangon ) , you will be get only 7 days or 14 days Visa . And you have to leave your passport at border immigration . So , that way is very risk .
I would like to recommend the second way ( Chaing Mai - Bangkok - Yangon - Mandalay ) .

#5 Royalsithu has been a member since 15/2/2012. Location: Myanmar / Burma. Posts: 23
 Send Royalsithu a private message 

Posted by stoneman on 3/5/2012 at 06:54

From all my recent research there is no way you are going to cross the border at Mai Sae without leaving your passport at immigration ( to ensure you return same day). Hopefully, despite the military regime, border crossings for foreigners will be allowed in the near future.

#6 stoneman has been a member since 8/5/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 100
 Send stoneman a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.