Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Burma update

Posted by giba on 31/3/2012 at 10:41

Just came back from Burma, a few updates on practicalities:

VISA: (this applies to the embassy in Bangkok) you do not need to provide an itinerary for your trip; it takes two working days to get the visa, the express one is available at 1300bath (instead of 1020) but you have to give proof you need it in a hurry, so take the plane ticket with you, or you will face an unceremonious denial.

MONEY: There are two "official" money exchange shops outside Boyake market, offering a better rate than the black market. The hotel I was staying in (Yoma One, do not go there, for $28 I got a room that smelled of dog, and they kindly arrange airport pick-up for a cool $15 when the going rate in $6) had a rate of 790k for $1, the black market 805k,the above mentioned "official" places 815k. These rates refer to $100 notes, and yes they still need to be in mint conditions and at least from 2006.

A final word of advice: Burma is much more expensive than you think, work out your budget and then bring with you 50% more. And for the Europeans reading this, do not bother with dollars, you can exchange euro at 1000k (no idea whether they would take the 200 or 500 notes though). I wish I had known this before, so I could have avoided the E > Bath > $ > khat merry-go-round, and the pilgrimage to three different banks in Bangkok to find perfect-looking bills.

#1 giba has been a member since 31/3/2012. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.