Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

PASSPORT-VISA

Posted by gracetandil on 26/9/2012 at 11:52

I have a big doubt: If I go to the Myanmar embassy I must leave there my own passport, right? OK. I must pick it up after 3 working days. OK? Right. So, how can I buy a ticket to travel somewhere else, for example in Bangkok, if I want to but a bus ticket to Chiang Mai or wherever in the same country? Can I do that with a photocopy of my passport???? Does anyone know anything about this? Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1 gracetandil has been a member since 4/12/2008. Posts: 56

Posted by SBE on 26/9/2012 at 13:38

When you're getting a visa, embassies give you a receipt which you have to show when you come back and pick up your passport. (Don't lose this bit of paper). The receipt plus a passport photocopy is usually ample for checking into a hotel and I've never ever been asked to show a passport when buying a bus ticket. Where do you buy your bus tickets?

Why on earth would you want to go to Chiang Mai and back again by bus while you're waiting for your visa to get processed anyway? You'll be getting plenty of very long bus rides when you're in Myanmar, believe me. It's the last thing I'd be doing before a trip there!

I usually just stay in Bangkok, always plenty of things to do there, but if you really want to get out of town then Ayutthaya or Kanchanaburi are more obvious side trips than Chiang Mai.

#2 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,037
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Posted by gracetandil on 27/9/2012 at 04:59

OK, thank you, I understand. I wrote Chiang Mai as an example, just that. I have been there before. I will stay in Bangkok and visit Ayutthaya and Kanchanaburi, those 2 ones are in my plans. I won´t go to Chiang Mai this time, nice place, I have already been there.

#3 gracetandil has been a member since 4/12/2008. Posts: 56

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.