Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Transport for Mandalay-Bagan in August

Posted by reublim on 5/1/2013 at 23:24

Hello,

I'm planning a 9 or 10 day trip to Mandalay and Bagan via Yangon. I intend to go to these places as these would be the driest during August. I have some questions.

1. From Mandalay to Bagan, I hope to take a river boat. I'm partial to the slow ferry, but wouldn't like it's uncertainty and likelihood of breaking down. What are the options available in July, and which would you recommend?

2. Depending on what is my exit strategy, I will either travel from Bagan to:

a) Yangon by bus? Is this advisable during the rainy season, safety, prices, night buses?

b) Mandalay by bus?

c) Mandalay by flight? I'm trying to reduce the number of internal flights as they are quite costly.

Thanks in advance for your comments and help!

#1 reublim has been a member since 5/1/2013. Location: Malaysia. Posts: 20
 Send reublim a private message   Where has reublim been?   Website 

Posted by steviej on 6/1/2013 at 11:50

Hi Reublim,

Not sure where you're from but Air Asia do flights to Yangon and Mandalay from/to Bangkok so ideally you could fly into Mandalay and depart from Yangon or vice versa.

Malikha is a company that do the Mandalay to Bagan/Bagan to Mandalay river cruise and as far as I'm aware run all year but it would probably be better to travel downstream during the rainy season.

As for moving on from Bagan, you could probably get a flight to Yangon for something in the region of US$100.

A rough itinerary could look like this:

Air Asia flight: Bangkok-Mandalay
3 Days Mandalay
Boat to Bagan
4 Days Bagan
Flight to Yangon
2 Days Yangon
Flight to Bangkok.

#2 steviej has been a member since 18/3/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 266
 Send steviej a private message   Where has steviej been?   Website 

Posted by reublim on 6/1/2013 at 16:04

Thanks steviej!

That looks about how my current itinerary is. Yes, I know that there are flights for Bagan to Yangon, but the price is pretty steep, and the local carriers don't have their schedules out yet. That was why I wanted some cheaper form of transport. Would Yangon be fine to visit that period of the year?

#3 reublim has been a member since 5/1/2013. Location: Malaysia. Posts: 20

Posted by steviej on 6/1/2013 at 16:29

Just realised your from Malaysia.

Mmm, according to one website, there's just over 500mm of rain for August so you may need a 'brolly'.

I suppose you could concentrate on Bagan and the Mandalay Area and skip Yangon.

Bagan to Mandalay by road/rail would take some 7 to 8 hrs. A flight would be around US$65 but as you say there's no schedule as yet.

#4 steviej has been a member since 18/3/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 266
 Send steviej a private message   Where has steviej been?   Website 

Posted by reublim on 6/1/2013 at 18:31

Yup, but am now based in Singapore. So considering Singapore-Bangkok-Mandalay flight and Yangon-Singapore. It's just getting from Bagan to Yangon in August that I'm worried about as Lonely Planet says "The southwest monsoon starts between mid-May and mid-June, bringing frequent rains that dunk the country through till October, peaking from July to September. The dry zone (between Mandalay and Pyay) gets the least rain, though roads anywhere (and particularly in the delta region) can become impassable.

Read more: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/myanmar-burma/weather#ixzz2HFG6Q3o3".

Thanks for your help!

#5 reublim has been a member since 5/1/2013. Location: Malaysia. Posts: 20

Posted by travelwithme on 9/1/2013 at 04:14

Well lonelyplanet have all the destination details and it provides really good info.

#6 travelwithme has been a member since 9/1/2013. Posts: 11

Posted by reublim on 9/1/2013 at 05:39

Yes but it doesn't have the information I need about traveling from Bagan to Yangon during the rainy season.

#7 reublim has been a member since 5/1/2013. Location: Malaysia. Posts: 20

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.