Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

I'm buggered! Any poss of getting same-day visa in KL?

Posted by busylizzy on 15/10/2013 at 03:18

OK - I thought I had done my research, but somewhere along the way I lost sight of the fact that today is a public holiday in Malaysia - which means that I couldn't get to the Myanmar visa today as planned. I now only have tomorrow (Wed) to drop off the application and pickup up the visa (ie same day) before my early morning flight on Thursday.

Has anyone ever had experience getting a same day visa in KL recently? I've read that Bkk is the only place where you can do this. I am hoping that is old info! From what I understand, they stopped offering same day express service and it's now a standard 20-day turnaround. I am hoping this is wrong!

If that is the case, I will have to resort to my best charm and/or tears at the embassy tomorrow, I guess. Otherwise I'll have to change my flight to Yangon until Friday - but probably at great expense.

Any good news to cheer me up today would be appreciated!

#1 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by somtam2000 on 15/10/2013 at 05:44 admin

Oh nooooooo!

Surely you'd have learned after this happening to me TWICE!

Just checked with a friend in KL and they said they THOUGHT the same day service in KL is no more.

Good luck tomorrow.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,707
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by busylizzy on 15/10/2013 at 06:01

Yeah, I know. I know.

And it was because of your situation that I knew I had to check. I thought I had done so when planning my week or so in Malaysia. I know I checked the Burmese holidays. I'm feeling pretty stupid right now... and annoyed. And frustrated.

I'm not liking my chances.... I'll have to be ready to turn on the waterworks, I guess.... :-/

Also - just noted a typo in my original post. I should have said I believe they now only offer the standard 2-day turnaround (not 20!). For anyone else reading....

#3 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153

Posted by Geer1 on 15/10/2013 at 11:06

This is why I often recommend people arrange visa's ahead of time if they aren't going to have lots of time in a place they can have it done. You never know when things can hold up the government(mine was held up in Cambodia because the king had died but I had enough time it wasn't an issue).

Good luck and if you can't get it rushed hopefully you can change your ticket easy enough.

#4 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540
 Send Geer1 a private message   Where has Geer1 been? 

Posted by busylizzy on 15/10/2013 at 21:20

The good news is that you CAN get a same-day visa. The gods were smiling for me today - no waterworks required!

BUT.. it's important to note that you no longer need to go to the embassy. I will post a separate thread on this shortly.

#5 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153

Posted by busylizzy on 15/10/2013 at 21:53

Full information on the process and new location is > here

#6 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.