Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

How to get to Southern Myanmar and its Beaches

Posted by relaxedTrev on 20/11/2013 at 09:44

The 2013/14 summer is the first time in 50 years that overland travel on along this lush coast has been permitted. Here is how to get there....by intercity bus, flight, train or boat.
Before you ask, unfortunately the Mergui Islands are still restricted to those with prior permission from Nay Pyi Daw (as at Nov 13), but the mainland has plenty of history, culture and barely discovered beaches for the adventurous to enjoy. Maung Ma Kan, Nebule, Myawyik Island, She Moe, Palaw beaches just to name a few

#1 relaxedTrev has been a member since 20/11/2013. Posts: 13

Posted by OE2014 on 23/11/2013 at 02:31

Thnx 4 t info [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

hw long frm Thailand 2 Dawei by road - n wht resrts r at da beach????

#2 OE2014 has been a member since 23/11/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by relaxedTrev on 26/11/2013 at 03:59

Hello,
The drive from the Thai side Phu Nam Ron (67km west from Kanchanaburi) to Dawei takes approximately 4.5 hrs. the crossing is still a work in progress as the Myanmar Immigration get their systems in place, they are very polite and its incredibly low key.

Resrts???
Did you mean Restaurants?
There is a good number of coconut styled family run eateries at the beach(Maung Ma Kan Beach), very nice seafood, very fresh. cost $2.5-$5 for a main.

Or did you mean Resorts?
There are no resorts there thankfully, there is one small scale bungalow guesthouse and two others being built, in addition there are plenty of places to stay in Dawei city 20 min away.

Hope that helps

#3 relaxedTrev has been a member since 20/11/2013. Posts: 13

Posted by mattocmd on 26/11/2013 at 08:23

Ohhhh thanks for sharing this. I'll be going soon!

#4 mattocmd has been a member since 13/6/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 365
 Send mattocmd a private message 

Posted by relaxedTrev on 14/2/2014 at 20:23

Photos of the beaches plus descriptions of how to get there ..... http://www.southernmyanmar.com/beaches-2/

#5 relaxedTrev has been a member since 20/11/2013. Posts: 13

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 18/2/2014 at 01:22

Nice beaches. They need resorts if they want people to visit. Also need boat tours.

#6 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Posted by Bulcotecowboy on 15/3/2014 at 19:29

The beaches of the Dawei peninsula are well worth the effort of getting to. See here .. http://myohmyanmar.wordpress.com/2014/03/14/no-need-to-archipelago-try-the-beaches-on-the-dawei-peninsula/

#7 Bulcotecowboy has been a member since 15/3/2014. Posts: 3

Posted by YeMeansWater on 15/5/2014 at 22:41

I'm living in Ye, which is a 5 hour bumpy bus ride north of Dawei. Can take a slow, bumpy train as well. Ye (pronounced Yay!, which means 'water' in Burmese) is a town of about 40,000 people. There are many lovely Buddhist pagodas, and at least two monestaries where foreigners are welcome to practice meditation. English speaking translators are available.

#8 YeMeansWater has been a member since 15/5/2014. Location: Myanmar / Burma. Posts: 4
 Send YeMeansWater a private message   Where has YeMeansWater been? 

Posted by YeMeansWater on 17/5/2014 at 07:21

When I came to Bangkok to renew my business visa, I traveled 6 hours by bus from Ye to Dawei (pronounced da-way, by da way!) through the night. Cost 6000 kyat, or about $6 US. The road was twisty through the mountains and is in the process of being paved. Piles of crushed rock line the way through most of that leg of my trip. I arrived to the Dawei bus station at sunrise, hoping to book another bus to Htii Kii, at the Myanmar/Thai border. Buses don't go that way, so I opted for a van. The Toyota Commuter van was in great shape and the driver was very good. I was given a choice to pay either kyat (35,000), dollars ($35) or Thai baht (800). I paid in baht because 800 is only about 24,000 kyat, or $24. Not sure how that worked out, but I was happy! The trip was stunningly beautiful, most of it through a river valley. Plenty of natural jungle instead of the typical rubber tree and betel nut plantations that are all too common in Myanmar. I arrived at the Htii Kii immigration office 6 hours after leaving Dawei. Stamped out, then it's another 4 or five miles to the Thai side immigration office. I hired an ice cream vendor to take me on his motorbike with sidecar. I had missed the bus that runs to Kanchanaburi bus station (10 am and 6 pm). One of the Thai immigration officers (all were really friendly) called a local guy with a car and, for 500 baht, he drove me to the Kanchanaburi town bus station. Took about 45 minutes. I immediately got offered another van ride to Bangkok... only 110 baht, and no waiting!
Although it took a long time to get from place to place, everything about the journey was very efficient.

#9 YeMeansWater has been a member since 15/5/2014. Location: Myanmar / Burma. Posts: 4

Posted by elreidon on 18/6/2014 at 23:23

I am heading to Burma tomorrow, flying in to Mandalay. Haven't got a strict itinerary yet but we were hoping to see some of Southern Myanmar.

Does anyone know what the weather is like in Dawei/Myeik in July? Would probably be there early/mid July!

Thanks

#10 elreidon has been a member since 19/5/2014. Posts: 3

Posted by relaxedTrev on 26/1/2015 at 00:17

just for future reference the best time to be down there is October - March. April and May are a bit hot and June - Sept are very wet and it is harder to transport yourself around

#11 relaxedTrev has been a member since 20/11/2013. Posts: 13

Posted by YeMeansWater on 3/2/2015 at 21:00

Monsoon season... June through September... bring alot of rain to the area. If you will be in southern Myanmar at that time, the most important thing is to take care of your feet and toes. Difficult to keep them dry long enough to avoid skin problems. Bring a tube of antibiotic ointment to add a layer of protection BEFORE you slosh about outside. Even an unmedicated treatment like Vaseline will help. Local pharmacies and clinics have things like this available.

#12 YeMeansWater has been a member since 15/5/2014. Location: Myanmar / Burma. Posts: 4

Posted by Sunny2 on 21/8/2015 at 19:27

Looks amazing! I can't wait to see these places I travel in December

#13 Sunny2 has been a member since 21/8/2015. Posts: 1

Posted by KarlR on 12/9/2015 at 00:17

Dear all,

Has anyone been to this Myin Kwa Aw Bungalows on the Dawei Peninsula? Any idea if that price is still up to date?

I found it only on:

http://www.southernmyanmar.com/accomodation-the-art-of-hospitality/resorts-mergui-archipelago/

http://www.lifeseeingtours.com/dawei-peninsula/

Thanks a million

#14 KarlR has been a member since 11/9/2015. Posts: 1

Posted by HenryLawrence on 23/9/2015 at 05:27

For the last 50 years the majority of Southern Myanmar has been locked off to outside influence, even the locals in Central Myanmar had to apply to be allowed to visit the South.

#15 HenryLawrence has been a member since 17/9/2015. Posts: 2

Posted by Gogomobile on 23/9/2015 at 07:45

It's a gold mine waiting to be developed.

#16 Gogomobile has been a member since 14/4/2015. Posts: 412

Posted by deadrowers on 2/10/2015 at 16:26

The potential of visiting one of the last untouched places on earth has captured my attention. A family friend has raved about Myanmar for 20 years, she's been there on 5 trips and it's her favorite country in the world, so I've always been meaning to visit. But some casual reading today about the degree to which the islands are untouched captivated me.

So how have things progressed in the last 2 years? Is it possible to travel unobstructed yet? According to NGOs there's a lot of corruption, but it sounds like it must be a different sort of corruption than that's prevalent in Thailand/Cambodia. At least, based on the reports of needing permits visit the islands. I feel like in Cambodia you could just easily pay someone to leave you be, but from what I've read that's not the case in southern Myanmar?

Would I be crazy to hire a fisherman to boat me out to a small island and leave me there for a week or even a couple days? I have the necessary outdoor survival skills and would bring food, water, mosquito net/shelter, supplies etc. Obviously the plan would be to bring a good stack of cash for any issues with authorities. I figure a foreigner wouldn't go unnoticed for long, either from a passing Military boat, Moken tipping off police, or something like that. (Or maybe there's tension between the civilians and military due to the war?)

Clearly, I'm somewhat clueless on the situation, and the information out there is limited. I'd still settle for exploring the coast by motorbike, as I see some people say it's as close as you'll get to Thailand in the 70s. But the thought of spending time (and staying the night) on a pristine Mergui island with absolutely no development is calling on me.. Maybe I just need to get myself there and evaluate the situation from there? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Just to clarify, the reason I'd like to do this is part because I enjoy adventure and self-sufficiency, but primarily because I simply could never afford one of the tour boats. $2000 for 4 days on Colona II? It's just a pipe dream for me. Even $1000 would be.

#17 deadrowers has been a member since 2/10/2015. Posts: 1

Posted by YeMeansWater on 3/10/2015 at 03:16

My impression is that the corruption is mostly at higher levels of government. I've been living in Ye (between Mawlamyine and Dawei) for two and a half years, and I am the only foreigner living here. From my experience, and the visitors who have stayed at my guesthouse, no graft of tourists has reared it's ugly head. The officials, and the locals, have been incredibly helpful and generous. I've not been to the Mergui islands yet, but the system there is quite regulated, and in government control. The number of visitors is limited, and destinations among the islands are limited too. You won't be disappointed by just touring around on a rented scooter, but there are some ethnic controlled areas that you won't be allowed to go. If you are advised not to go to a particular area, don't take a chance. You may not have any problems at all, but it won't go over well with the officials.

#18 YeMeansWater has been a member since 15/5/2014. Location: Myanmar / Burma. Posts: 4

Posted by mundu on 16/1/2016 at 06:12

You can go by land from Kanchanaburi to Dawei, it needs 7 hours.
Visa is necessary.
From Kawthoung to Dawei or Myeik by plane or land.
On the Dawei/Launglon Peninsula are a lot of beaches but not easy to reach.
For overnight stay in this moment only two or three.
Coconut Bungalows with bungalows not close to the beach.
Sin Htauk Beach Bungalows with few bungalows directly on white beach.
Some Resorts in work but not ready.
Maungmagan Beach is closest to Dawei. Little bit dirty, not so recommended.

#19 mundu has been a member since 16/1/2016. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.