Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Myanmar through eyes of a local

Posted by Jeanneke on 29/11/2013 at 01:42

Hi there,

I'm 24 years old and I would like to make a trip to Myanmar for 14-21 days. Have not decided yet if I want to do this on my own or in a small group. What I do know is that I want to see Myanmar through the eyes of a local, using public transport instead of a personal driver, seeing places that you would never get to see with a touristic travel agency. I would love for instance to overnight in a buddhist monastery. I wont go between November-Febrary, just to avoid too many tourists.

I assume I should contact a local agency, or maybe I could organise this whole trip on my own. I dont know.

Maybe you could have some tips for me?

Looking forward to your reply. Thanks in advance for your tips.

Kind regards!

#1 Jeanneke has been a member since 29/11/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 29/11/2013 at 04:25 admin

I'm in Burma at the moment and have been for the last three weeks.

In my opinion there is no need to take an organised tour or get a personal driver. Travel with locals is straightforward, albeit at times uncomfortable, slow and you'll often by paying double -- or triple -- what the locals are paying. Double pricing here is rife.

If you want to sleep in a monastery, one way to do so is to do a 3-day Kalaw to Inle trek as one of those nights is spent sleeping in a monastery. Foreigners are no longer permitted to stay in the monastery at Nyaung Shwe so you can scratch that one off your list.

I wouldn't write off Nov to Feb on the basis of high tourists numbers -- yes the key four destinations are busyish (Inle is mental) but most other places are very quiet.

With 3 weeks you could cover perhaps 4-5 spots comfortably. Just bear in mind travel between locations can be very very slow.

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,563
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by 66manoj44 on 29/12/2013 at 13:35

Hi friend,
Go along your friends, trips are more enjoyable with friends.
Use local transport and services if you really want to experience some thing.
Make note that travelling time will be more , plane journey accordingly.
-thanks in advance

#3 66manoj44 has been a member since 12/12/2013. Posts: 10
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.