Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Border crossings

Posted by ofer on 1/1/2014 at 13:18

Acoording Lonely Planet, it is possible to enter and lexit Burma via Mae Sai, Thailand only with a special permit. Is it true?
If yes , what has to be done in order to have this permition?

#1 ofer has been a member since 31/12/2013. Posts: 5

Posted by LoganT on 2/1/2014 at 15:47

The current Lonely Planet Guide for Burma is hopelessly out-of-date - not least the border crossing information.

Some up-to-date information was posted recently on Travelfish:

Basically, there are four (I think) land borders with Thailand which are currently open for entry and exit without any special conditions - HOWEVER just remember, if you are crossing into Burma, you will need to have got your Burmese visa in advance in Bangkok (or wherever) - the 28 day tourist visas are NOT available at the border crossing (but can be used at the border).

Crossing back into Thailand is a breeze. I did it recently at Myawaddy / Mae Sot and depending on your passport you'll be given a 15 or 30 day tourist visa.

#2 LoganT has been a member since 14/9/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 25
 Where has LoganT been? 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code

Posted by ofer on 2/1/2014 at 17:08

Many thanks.

#3 ofer has been a member since 31/12/2013. Posts: 5

Posted by NSATour on 6/1/2014 at 07:13

I really have desired to drive into Burma roads for experiencing the driving condition inside Burma by crossing Mandalay-Yangon then exit back to Thailand.
Is there any special documents required for this passage??? I would probably like to drive my ISUZU D-Max 3.0/ on Yangon- Mandalay via Naypitaw new Highway. Malaysian car.

#4 NSATour has been a member since 4/1/2014. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.