Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Visa Help! (US Citizens)

Posted by roxchang on 13/4/2014 at 14:11

We are both US citizens and are leaving for Thailand on May 5th. We plan to fly from Bangkok to Burma (Yangon) around May 27th.
The problem is, we have not yet obtained our Visa's to enter the country. We tried contacting the embassy but their office is closed until Monday 4/21.
It seems like the process of sending in documents and waiting to receive the Visa's by mail will take too long (10 days for processing alone) before we leave on May 5th.
Is there a faster way to obtain the Visa's? I heard it is possible to obtain them in Thailand too instead of the embassy in Washington DC? Thanks in advance for the help!

#1 roxchang has been a member since 13/4/2014. Posts: 2

Posted by busylizzy on 13/4/2014 at 14:17

There is an article here: https://www.travelfish.org/blogs/thailand/2011/04/23/getting-a-visa-to-burma-in-bangkok/

Plenty of other discussions as well on the forum: just search "Burma visa in Bangkok" and you'll come up with a few posts.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by roxchang on 14/4/2014 at 17:28

Thank you busylizzy for the link! I'll try not to repost next time.

#3 roxchang has been a member since 13/4/2014. Posts: 2

Posted by immigrationz on 18/4/2014 at 07:17

visit us - immigration overseas

#4 immigrationz has been a member since 15/4/2014. Posts: 5

Posted by ioke on 18/4/2014 at 07:45

I think it is best to get your visa in Bangkok. You need to get to the Embassy early and line up, or you can get a travel agent to do it for you. Maybe whoever sells you the air ticket could provide this service. More reliable than sending your passport away.

#5 ioke has been a member since 18/4/2014. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.