Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

UK bank and credit cards in Burma - a warning

Posted by antoniamitchell on 6/6/2014 at 08:41

Hi everyone,
I've just found out from one credit card supplier (Halifax) that they block use all their cards in Burma. I can't use the card at all (either for purchases or for cash advances) in Burma.

I'd already called my main bank (Santander) a few days ago to tell them I was going abroad to Burma, and they registered my trip for both my bank card and my credit card and said I was all set. But because of the Halifax problem, I decided to call Santander back and double check - just to be safe. And guess what? Santander also blocks use of their cards in Burma! "Sorry, we neglected to tell you when you called to register your going abroad."

So it's back to cash only for me - I'm just glad that I found out before I fly out this weekend. But I just wanted to flag this issue here for others thinking of going to Burma. Make sure you ask specifically from your bank, so they don't neglect to tell you like Santander did.

#1 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Location: Singapore. Posts: 512
 Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Posted by seankp on 7/6/2014 at 06:29

HI y,

Yes , myanmar still has some limitation about credit cards ( visa , master ) usages. However, it is more convenience in myanmar compared to past. You can make cash withdrawal from 2,500 machines that process credit card payments if you bank allow to use credit card in myanmar . But those are only like in 4 stars hotels and restaurants.

So, I still would like to suggest to make advance booking about your hotels and flights before coming to myanmar. Bring cash for other expenses . This is the best way so far if you dont want to carry all the cash along.

You can find out more details about myanmar credit cards situation here

#2 seankp has been a member since 7/6/2014. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.