Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

From chiang mai/rai to burma

Posted by dolicadol on 30/6/2014 at 17:49

Hi
What is the best and the cheapest way to go from chiang Mai or chiang rai to yangoon or Mandalay?
We don't want to go back to Bkk from chiang Mai, and also don't want to pay expensive air tickets.
What about buses, some borders are now open..??

Thanks!

#1 dolicadol has been a member since 23/9/2013. Posts: 19
 Where has dolicadol been? 

Posted by dolicadol on 10/7/2014 at 15:04

Anybody maybe knows the answer? :)

#2 dolicadol has been a member since 23/9/2013. Posts: 19
 Where has dolicadol been? 

Posted by johnno on 10/7/2014 at 22:02

Id love to know the updated answer to ur question too as im hoping to do the same later this yr. But I must admit as yet the only way into burma as a non military personnel is via plane. Id love to enter via railway.

#3 johnno has been a member since 18/12/2009. Posts: 20

Posted by squarethecircle on 11/7/2014 at 03:14

If you get your visa in advance you can enter Myanmar at Mae Sai into Tachileik , and from there fly to either Mandalay or Yangon . No clue about the prices but it should be cheaper than an international flight into the country on the same airlines (budget options like AirAsia only go between Yangon and BKK), as far as I know Tachileik is the only place where you can cross by land and reach an airport. Price-wise it may be cheaper to return to BKK and catch an AirAsia flight over to Yangon but if you are dead-set on going there from N Thailand then Tachileik is your destination.

#4 squarethecircle has been a member since 19/10/2011. Posts: 133

Posted by antoniamitchell on 11/7/2014 at 08:02

Further to what Squarethecircle said, from the Tachileik border entry, you HAVE to fly to get to other destinations in Burma. You're not allowed to go anywhere by land except Kengtung. From Tachileik, you are allowed to fly to any destination in Burma on an internal flight, and continue your holiday as you wish from there, however in my experience internal flights in Burma are pretty expensive. The cheapest one I've seen was about $150US. So it may well work out cheaper to fly from Chiang Mai to Bangkok DMK on Air Asia (or another budget carrier) then catch the Air Asia to Yangon or Mandalay (which is quite cheap if you book far enough in advance - I flew Mandalay to DMK for $40US).

#5 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Location: Singapore. Posts: 532
 Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.