Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Visa extension

Posted by Clare1993 on 11/7/2014 at 01:13

Hi everyone,
I'm planning a trip to Burma in November, so far for 28 days.
However, I've read in a couple of different places (including the new lonely planet) that it is now possible to extend a tourist visa by 14 days once in country? Has anyone had any experiences doing this? It would make my trip a lot easier if I had 6 weeks rather than 4!
Thanks, Clare.

#1 Clare1993 has been a member since 7/4/2012. Posts: 22

Posted by SimplyKitty on 15/7/2014 at 05:03

I will also be there around December and would love to know the answer to this question.

I have come across a thread by a guy who just overstayed and said he had no problems - although it's not really something I want to try.

You cannot fly (out or internally) if you have over-stayed and you are still charged $5 a day as opposed to $15 in Thailand (apparently) - this is according to this random travel blog I found.

For me personally I don't want to get on the wrong side of the authorities in Myanmar/Burma and so wouldn't overstay on purpose but would love to know if an extension is possible... ..

#2 SimplyKitty has been a member since 13/4/2014. Location: Earth. Posts: 10
 Send SimplyKitty a private message 

Posted by thunderroad on 15/7/2014 at 21:52

Hi troops, well the good news, among the best I've heard for years , is that you CAN extend, certainly in Yangon. Will post more details when i get them.

#3 thunderroad has been a member since 15/7/2014. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.