Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

6 Days Enough for Yangon/Bagan?

Posted by novalord2 on 9/9/2014 at 11:30

Hello everyone, I have 6 full days in Myanmar in mid-Nov.
I was wondering if 6 days would be too much to spend in Yangon and Bagan? Am I selling myself short by only going to those 2 places? If necessary, what 3rd destination would be a good choice? I feel discouraged by the hassle and cost of traveling to Inle. I plan on taking the bus from Yangon to Bagan. I would prefer to not shell out the cash for flights.

Also, how critical is it that I book hotels? I was told that November is part of the high season but not quite the peak of it.
Thank you so much.

#1 novalord2 has been a member since 9/9/2014. Posts: 1

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Posted by antoniamitchell on 10/9/2014 at 00:37

My advice is don't try and fit in 3 places - do you want to remember an amazing holiday, or do you want to remember a series of veeerrrrrrrrrrrrry long and exhausting bus rides?

I'd suggest you allocate 3 days to exploring Yangon (one day of which could easily be a day trip from Yangon - maybe across the river), and 3 days to Bagan (you could also easily spend one day here on a day trip - maybe Mount Popa - if you don't want 3 days for the temples).

I can't answer your questions about hotels in November, because I've only been there in off-season, but everything I've read says they can be very full in high season including November.... it probably depends on how picky you are (will you take anything you find, or are you worried about cleanliness/convenience/price?). If it was me, I would pre-book, but only you can answer what your risk tolerance is and how picky you are.

(An aside, my gut feeling is that this winter won't be quite as bad as last - there's new construction everywhere, and I'm seeing a lot more buzz on TF about Indonesia this year than Burma).

Have fun!

#2 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 554
 Send antoniamitchell a private message   Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by chengywong83 on 10/9/2014 at 23:41

I recently traveled to Burma, we spent 11 days there. I arrived Yangon on the 1st day. As soon as we arrived, we took the night bus to Bagan. The journey took us about 8-9 hours. There's not much to see in Yangon, so perhaps i think spending 1-2 days is more than sufficient. I highly recommend you to spend more days in Bagan of course and Inle Lake / Nyaung Shwe. Or if you think it's too much hassle to travel there, you may consider Mandalay covering Inwa (Ava) and Sagaing which is out of town as well. I've recently blogged about it, you may check out the site for a more detailed itinerary of mine.

Happy Planning and do let me know if you need any further details.

#3 chengywong83 has been a member since 1/8/2014. Posts: 11
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.