Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Seeking advice on when to visit Myanmar

Posted by craig201 on 2/11/2014 at 23:18

Hoping to get some feedback on when to visit Myanmar.

For 2015 it looks like I have a couple of 2-3 week windows were I could make a visit. One is in July/August, the other is mid/late December.

As this will be my first time I am planning on visiting the top 4 ( Yangon , Inle, Bagan, Mandalay), and would love to sneak in Mawlamyine/Hpa-an if possible. I know July/August is the wet season and I'd likely be soaked in Inle and Yangon and would probably need to pass on the south. December would be much better weather, but the crowds and costs will go up.

I know this is subjective in the end, but for those of you who have visited during these periods, can you provide your perspectives on which period you'd recommend for our visit?

Thanks so much!

#1 craig201 has been a member since 2/11/2014. Posts: 1

Posted by antoniamitchell on 3/11/2014 at 00:40

Hi Craig,
I visited this past June, deliberately chosen to avoid the worst of the crowds. Because it was rainy season, I skipped the south and concentrated on Yangon , Inle, Bagan, Mandalay and the north.

The weather wasn't as bad as I'd feared - Yangon was the grayest and rainiest, but even then there was only one day where it rained all day. The rest of the time it was mostly cloudy, with a couple of hours of rain a day, and a few brief periods of sunshine. Everywhere else was mostly dry (and often sunny) mornings, with rain coming in during the mid-to-late afternoon. When it does rain, it rains HARD (get under shelter or you'll be soaked through in about a minute) and prepare for the streets to flood briefly (with probably contaminated water).

I believe July/August is wetter than June, so you may find more washout days than I had. But I figured the risk of rain was worth it to avoid crowds and have an easier (and cheaper) time of it. I didn't want to have to waste hours in each new town traipsing from guesthouse to guesthouse trying to find an available room, and having to settle for anything I could find (which I've heard happened to some last winter).

But it will also depend on what you like to do. If you like sunbathing / sitting around in the sun with a cold beer / beaches, you might think the crowds are worth it for better weather.

Good luck, whatever you decide

#2 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 546
 Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.