Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Visa question

Posted by sunlvr on 12/11/2014 at 09:53

One of the documents required for the Burma (Myanmar) Visa is a copy of your arrival/departure flights and/or guesthouse reservation. Can this be a copy of my arrival/departure of S.E. Asia (Bangkok) or do I need to purchase my Yangon flight prior to visa approval and find a guesthouse that does online reservations? I've searched all over online including U.S. and Burma government sites and can't find an answer to this question. I'm hoping all you well traveled folks can help. :)

#1 sunlvr has been a member since 7/8/2014. Posts: 37

Posted by antoniamitchell on 12/11/2014 at 15:27

Hi Sunlvr,

I got my visa from the Burmese embassy in the UK, which has a much simpler and shorter form than the one on the US embassy site, and they didn't need any of that malarky so I'm speaking below from a logical analysis position, rather than a I've-been-through-this-myself position, however:

I just went to the Burmese embassy in the US (that's where you're applying from, right?), and their form (http://www.mewashingtondc.com/pdf/visa/Tourist_Visa_Eng_.pdf) says:
"An evidence of the trip, either one of the following, copy of air ticket / itinerary ( required for Foreign Independent Travel only ), confirmation letter from the tour operator ( Package Tour only) or hotel reservation."

So that implies that you don't need both an air ticket and a hotel. So I'd just book your guesthouse for your first night or two, and use the confirmation email they send you as your proof of trip. This makes sense, as you can enter the country overland, so not all travelers will have flights anyway.

I don't know why they ask for a hotel reservation as it doesn't prove anything, but there you go.

Another option for you might be the evisa. It looks like the evisa application form doesn't require those proofs (at least, it certainly isn't listed on the things-you'll-need-to-apply list); the evisa is more expensive than the traditional apply-via-the-embassy one, but doesn't require you to courier your passport to the embassy and back, so it may be an easier option for you.

#2 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 546
 Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by sunlvr on 13/11/2014 at 10:16

Thanks Antonia! I've been considering the evisa, as I really don't want to have to send my passport anywhere unless absolutely necessary. I'm curious once you arrive in country what the difference is between the evisa and the standard route. I know the website said you need to check in at different areas at the airport but I would think a visa is a visa no matter how it was received.

#3 sunlvr has been a member since 7/8/2014. Posts: 37

Posted by antoniamitchell on 13/11/2014 at 12:39

I don't think there's much difference, apart from the different paperwork at the different desk. With a regular visa the officer just checks your passport and your visa, and stamps you into the country. I'm guessing at the evisa desk the officer just checks your passport and your evisa document, sticks the visa sticker into your passport, and stamps you into the country. The queue at one might be slightly longer than the other, but I doubt there's much in it.

Enjoy your trip!

#4 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 546
 Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.