Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Burma extension of visa

Posted by kandpfishos on 16/1/2016 at 17:03

G'day

I am disappointed. Travelling to Burma September 2016 on an Aussie passport and was planning to get the 28 day tourist visa with an extension of another 14 days. The AU Myanmar Embassy informed me that they have been advised this month that no visa extensions will be possible, at all. Is this correct? Is it just in AU, before I leave, that I cannot get the extension? What about in Burma itself? I don't want to cut the planned trip back really. Thanks for the advice on current situation.

#1 kandpfishos has been a member since 10/1/2011. Posts: 18
 Send kandpfishos a private message 

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Posted by MarilynR on 21/3/2016 at 02:34

I don't know about the official way to get an extenstion. But I just came from traveling in Myanmar for a month and overstayed my visa. Before leaving I read this is an easy way to extend your visa. I crossed the landboarder Myawaddy-Mae Sot to leave the country and had no problems at all. Paid the 3 dollar a day fine and that was it.

#2 MarilynR has been a member since 21/3/2016. Posts: 6
 Send MarilynR a private message   Website   Twitter 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by LongestBusRide on 25/5/2016 at 13:44

Correct-- no visa extensions for any nationality I heard of, including USA and Brazil. If you overstay, it is no problem. You will just pay $3 per day overstayed. In Mandalay airport there is an overstay desk next to the passport control desk. Allow 10 extra minutes for completing a form with your personal information and paying.

Only USD accepted, I was told. However, my total was $24 and I did not have any $1 bills. I was allowed to give $20USD and the remainder in Myanmar currency.

I know of 2 other travelers who exited the country, 1 by plane and the other overland. Same thing-- no problems, received smiles, paid $3 per day.

The 3 exits mentioned were in April and May, 2016.

#3 LongestBusRide has been a member since 25/5/2016. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.