Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Myannmar Visa from Thailand

Posted by Jmarder123 on 19/4/2016 at 12:37

Hello! I will be traveling to Myannmar for a few weeks from Thailand and was wondering about the visa situation for traveling to myannmar by land...Will an online e-visa work? I read somewhere that they only work if you are flying in to Myannmar and getting the visa approved in the airport..so I don't know what to do since I am traveling by land from Thailand. Your insight would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you.

Also, if anybody knows any information about traveling to Myannmar from Thailand by Bus or Train that would be awesome!!

#1 Jmarder123 has been a member since 19/4/2016. Posts: 1

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Posted by julian83 on 25/4/2016 at 16:06

Hey,
as far as I know the eVisa only works if you arrive in Yangoon Airport and not on land crossings. Perhaps it might have changed but I dont think so. Better get your Visa through an embassy.

You can take a bus to the border crossing in Mae Sot from Thailand. Then you will have to walk across the bridge and get your visa approved and stamped on the Burmese side in Myawaddy. From there you can take buses or taxis, most of them heading to Hpa-An from where you can continue. The Mae-Sot crossing is the most convenient and best, I just did it myself a month ago with no problems.

If you are new to Myanmar I have some posts on my blog at www.apenoni.com if you are interested. Feel free to drop me an email for further questions.

Enjoy your trip, its an amazing country :)

Julian

#2 julian83 has been a member since 24/8/2015. Posts: 4

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by LongestBusRide on 25/5/2016 at 13:58

Hello,

Visa:
If you're in the USA you need to get a visa from the Myanmar consulate in Los Angeles or embassy in Washington DC. Online it says the visa takes about a week, however I got mine in a few days.
If you're in Bangkok you can take your passport to the Myanmar Embassy and get a visa. I met a few travelers who told me it only took 2 days to get the visa.

Border crossing Bangkok to Dawei:
I've written this up on my blog with photos. I used buses. You can take the Bangkok to Kanchanaburi portion by train.
http://www.longestbusride.com/thailand-myanmar-border-crossing-bangkok-dawei-htee-kee/

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Jess

#3 LongestBusRide has been a member since 25/5/2016. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.