Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Help w/ Festival logistics / Inle vs Hpa-an

Posted by sactocalvin on 11/6/2016 at 18:27

Hi friends,

We are keen on enjoying some festivals while in Burma in January but I'm finding it difficult to find dates and locations. No doubt they're a moving target anyway. Meanwhile, I know we need to book high-season accommodations ASAP. What's the best resource for figuring out festival logistics?

Additionally, I'm curious about your opinion on Inle Lake vs Hpa-an. We will have a 2-week itinerary, and I don't want to do more than 3 locations: Yangon, Bagan and ??? ... My favorite place in SEA is Luang Prabang, so I'm curious which of the two has the better vibe / beauty. We will be flying between locations, if that makes a difference.

Thanks all!

#1 sactocalvin has been a member since 11/6/2016. Posts: 1

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Posted by muzzaf on 19/6/2016 at 09:13

Hi, Grab an extra week anyway you can?? if you have not been to Myanmar then be ready, it is quite different to the rest of SE Asia. I assume you are a budget traveller! There are quality overnight busses mostly anywhere to anywhere so worth considering them. Flying is ideal but expensive for the distances.
Dont know if you are coming out of Luang Prabang into Myanmar, if so, there are connections by bus (rugged stuff) to Chang Rai, then to Tachiliek, then you must fly to Inle or Mandalay ($125) or to Lashio ($120) then train/bus to Hsipaw then over the bridge to Pwin oo lyin to Mandalay then Bagan and/or to Inle. Inle is OK and easy.
If you fly into Yangon, then Bagan/Inle is to the north and Hpa An is to the south,????? If you go south or enter Myanmar via Myawaddy (Overland) then Mawlamyine, my favourite town, and Golden mountain are good places to include near Hpa An.
Any accommodation you choose will have details of festivals etc in their areas, in Mandalay, Yoe Yoe Lay accommodation, excellent for all information in that area.
Yangon, Motherland inn 2 the same help, Me, I like the south.

#2 muzzaf has been a member since 22/3/2007. Posts: 12

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by ImageOfMyanmar on 2/8/2016 at 08:24

Dear Grab,

Here's the list of festival in January and February,

4 Jan, Independence Day, Celebrate Nationwide

9-10 Jan, Kachin Manaw Festival, Celebrate only in Kachin State, the northern state of Myanamr

13-15 Jan, Kaya State DAy, celebrate only in Kaya state, near the Inle Lake region

15 Jan, Naga New Year Festival, celebrate only in Chin State, can accessible from Bagan

If you visit only one, I recommend you Naga New Year festival, it's so amazing and can't find in other place.

Wish you to have a great vacation in Myanmar. Anything else, feel free to contact me via email htt.paing@gmail.com

#3 ImageOfMyanmar has been a member since 2/8/2016. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.